DOHC ZC Turbo Manifolds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

[Freemantle]

There is a 1990 CRX Si with a DOHC ZC swap for sale in Miami that I am thinking about picking up. The current owner has the manifold and turbo from the D16 Greddy Kit installed and running on this car. He claims "it bolts right up, no modification" but from what I have read, the ports are actually shifted from the ZC head and the Si runners.

This car is in fair exterior shape and the interior needs some TLC. I don't even plan on running this car as-is, rather tearing it down to throw in new rods, pistons, and to try out Hotrex's Devcon special (and obviousley running a much larger turbo).

I would plan on running an OBD0 -> OBD1 Harness so that I can run Uberdata (it's what I know, I'm not sure about running BRE or Turboedit). This is subject to change. I plan to do all my own work to the best of my abilities, I am no fabricator by any means.

The questions: It's hard to search on ZC engines, as most forums don't index "ZC" because it is just 2 letters.

What are the particulars I should know about ZC engines? Internals mean nothing to me because I plan to replace them. Does the head have a tendencey to lift? Does the deck warp often? Should special considerations be made with the transmission?

I would need a turbo manifold to meet my goals (300whp on a built block, stock head). I'm guessing that the manifold he is running is creating obscene EGTs. Who makes one that would give me clearance to run a .60/.63 in a CRX with a traction bar? (jimFab, Z10, Full-Race)

I'm assuming I'd modify an LS map to run the ZC. Is the ZC Peak & Hold or Saturated?

I'm just trying to get a feel for it before I put down any cash. The main thing I hated about my Prelude is that there was no support for H23s and I'm not a tig-welding wiz. I don't want to be in the same boat with this ZC.

turbo edit is fine. i tuned a turbo zc with it not too long ago. for obd0, its the best way to go.

is crome better? sure is. but obd1 is also far more advanced, and allows for more tuning options.

zc computer runs peak/hold. the zc will take anything. its the electronics that need to match up.

i recommend a chipped pm6. and make sure its the right generation... there are some early years which are more difficult to chip. see:
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Librar...ppingAn88-89ECU

the manifold i dont know...

Quoted post[/post]]
turbo edit is fine. i tuned a turbo zc with it not too long ago. for obd0, its the best way to go.

is crome better? sure is. but obd1 is also far more advanced, and allows for more tuning options.

zc computer runs peak/hold.

Awesome. I've got no problem running Turboedit, i just didn't know if it felt very... shareware like the early bug-laden versions of Uberdata did. Thanks for the Wiki link. Sometimes that site isn't terribly easy to navigate. (RTFW!)

Any manifold suggestions?

Edit: wow! looks much more challenging than chipping my old P07 was. It'll be fun :mrgreen:.

i think the ZC and all d series exhaust manifolds are the same...

the intakes are what you need to watch out for...
and the term "runners" is usually used in conjunction with intake manifolds

That's some awesome info. So what I saw on H-T about ZC ports being offset from D16 ports is misinformation? This is really useful stuff guys, thanks a lot.

I honestly still have a few options in front of me. That DOHC ZC turbo, a B16 swap minus the B16 and wheels, an LS swap complete (with mint Celestial Blue paint and Fat 5s!), and a "Built" D16.

The reason I want a CRX is because the CRX is what got me into Hondas and this whole scene to begin with. I spent a few weeks in August with my uncle in Reno back in 99. He had a Grandma-Gold accord EX with
I/H/E and pullies. The CRXs out there and the amount of respect that they got really got me into the scene. When I went home to Detroit (and here in Florida) Honda gets no respect because a majority of Honda drivers are asshats.

Here, I have to compete with MADR (Mom and Dad Racing). There are a few people out here running very fast Trans Ams and EvoIIIs. I'm trying to show that Smart kids can be just as fast as Rich kids. Anyway, I've ranted enough and pulled this topic waaay off point. I pussy-footed around with my previous project (built but never boosted) and I really want to build somthing of an example of what a Honda should be.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and technical/creative input.

For the traction bar I love my Full-Race, It was made so you can run a oversized DP so I would give that one a look over

Quoted post[/post]]
i think the ZC and all d series exhaust manifolds are the same...

the intakes are what you need to watch out for...
and the term "runners" is usually used in conjunction with intake manifolds
DOHC ZC exhaust ports in the head are raised about 3mm higher in the head in relation to the manifold mounting holes - here is picture of DOHC ZC exhaust manifold gasket on a D16A6 header - notice that it doesn't match

wNjIyMjE0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Quoted post[/post]]
zc computer runs peak/hold. the zc will take anything. its the electronics that need to match up.
True - OBD0 ZC is peak/hold - OBD1 ZC is satrurated - a lot of people install the OBD1 DOHC ZC with P29 OBD1 ECU in the ED cars as the OBD1s are a little easier to find - just because it is in an ED car doesn't necessarily mean it is OBD0 engine

Great info and a nice website link too. I'm going to operate under the assumtion that the guy in Miami has a regular-ol D16 manifold on there. I went down to see it and I must say... it drives/looks like shit :mrgreen:.

Back