DOHCVTEC_ACCORD's Accord Restor Project by me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow man, that's a hell of a writeup. You know that's going into my bookmarks, and I'll be checking it periodically. So keep updating it!

:bawling: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 2 2003, 08:43 AM
Wow man, that's a hell of a writeup. You know that's going into my bookmarks, and I'll be checking it periodically. So keep updating it!

:bawling: :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris! You're the one that made this project possible. :worthy:
I'll keep updating people and I hope to have the car ready for at least the drag strip by spring/summer and maybe autocross too :)

Bruce

Well, at least you have a nice WRX now ;) I wouldn't mind driving that bad boy :D A bit OT but how does the WRX feel power and handling wise diffferent than your Accord did?

Bruce.

I kinda miss VTEC and revving to 8 grand, but boost kinda offsets that. :) Power-wise, it feels about the same right now, since I'm putting power to 4 wheels instead of 2. The WRX gets rated at about 160-165 horses at the wheels from the factory (227 at the crank). Obviously, it's got loads more torque, so that's nice.

Handling-wise, it's much better. I need better tires and some suspension work (I'm thinking those RE950's that were on my Accord, and Prodrive springs to start), but the AWD and rear LSD more than make up for those shortcomings.

If you get the Accord street-legal, come out for a road trip. :) You can drive the WRX, and I can get behind the wheels of my baby again.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 2 2003, 04:10 PM
If you get the Accord street-legal, come out for a road trip. :) You can drive the WRX, and I can get behind the wheels of my baby again.

A Road trip would be fun :) Maybe one day for a race or something that would be cool :) You need to start racing SCCA autocross with that WRX ;o)

I'm already planning on it. The guy at my local Subaru dealer goes out to all the SCCA races, and he gets to decide who the shop sponsors. :D :D

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 3 2003, 08:34 AM
I'm already planning on it. The guy at my local Subaru dealer goes out to all the SCCA races, and he gets to decide who the shop sponsors. :D :D

Sweet! Sponsorship would be cool :)

BTW:

Over the week-end I did a few things on my 95 H22A Accord restoration project. They were mostly simple things but none the less progress ;o) I added another video clip of me actually driving the car out. My wife was running the camera so it's overexposed and a short clip due to I had to trim it because of camera operator error ;o)

Here’s a link to the new pages.
New Pages

Here’s a link to the begging pages in case anyone missed those.
Previous pages

Awesome video! That car sure sounds familiar. :D

Oh, by the way, on Page 10 of your writeup, you mentioned

Above: I noticed this stock air intake part (can’t remember the official name) was left over from the previous cold air intake installation. So time to take that out and save another 1/2 of a pound ;o)

I wouldn't remove that. The plug is for the IAB, and I believe it needs to be plugged in for the IAB to function properly. Don't know if anyone else can confirm or deny that. However, you DON'T need to run vacuum lines to or from it. You just need a vacuum line from the manifold to the IAB actuator.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 6 2003, 11:56 AM
Awesome video! That car sure sounds familiar. :D

Oh, by the way, on Page 10 of your writeup, you mentioned

Above: I noticed this stock air intake part (can’t remember the official name) was left over from the previous cold air intake installation. So time to take that out and save another 1/2 of a pound ;o)

I wouldn't remove that. The plug is for the IAB, and I believe it needs to be plugged in for the IAB to function properly. Don't know if anyone else can confirm or deny that. However, you DON'T need to run vacuum lines to or from it. You just need a vacuum line from the manifold to the IAB actuator.

Hmmm, ok thanks I'll have to check that out. I removed it on my 90 Accord with the AEM CAI install a few years ago and have had no ill effects. Anyone else know about it that has a CAI installed?

Also,
I added a few pages to my 95 Accord H22A restoration project. New radiator core, windshield, headlights, corner lights are in and bumper, bumper cover and grill look pretty good :)
Updated pages 10/11/03

and

Beginning if you need to see all the pages from the start.

Bruse, you dont need Power steering to autoX, go without it for a few weeks and it will feel weird to go back.

Chris, buy a good rear sway for the scoobie. That's one of the best suspension mods you can do for those things. Those things push so much because once the front wheels start to push, the back wheels push them out more.

DohcVtec_Accord, which radiator did you use when you did the h22 swap? was it a prelude radiator or accord radiator? And if you had a prelude which one would you rather put in it, or does it make a difference?

Originally posted by DesertNightEagle@Oct 14 2003, 11:12 PM
DohcVtec_Accord, which radiator did you use when you did the h22 swap? was it a prelude radiator or accord radiator? And if you had a prelude which one would you rather put in it, or does it make a difference?

It was an Accord radiator I believe. I'm not sure that a Prelude radiator would line up correctly on the core support. I replaced it with a lifetime modine radiator for about $175.00 I'll eventually put an all alluminum race radiator in it but for now the modine will do.

Bruce

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 14 2003, 09:16 PM
Bruse, you dont need Power steering to autoX, go without it for a few weeks and it will feel weird to go back.

Chris, buy a good rear sway for the scoobie. That's one of the best suspension mods you can do for those things. Those things push so much because once the front wheels start to push, the back wheels push them out more.

Yeah, I was surprised that it wasn't as hard to steer as I thought without PS. However, my 90 Accord with PS is a two finger deal to whip the wheel all the way around so PS makes it ultra easy but without PS isn't too hard to steer.

Bruce

Well, my 95 Accord_H22A project is coming along nicely :) (Pictures and updated notes will be posted soon.) All I really need is my Carbon Fiber hood to come in and then to hopefully get it to pass safety and smog so I can register it. I have a trip permit which is a 6x6†paper that is taped in the back window so I can take the car out for limited test drives. So after going to bed really early one night this last week I woke up at 3:00am for some wacky reason and thought. Now would be a great time to take out the Accord for a test drive and possibly get to some truck scales near me to weigh the car before the hood goes on.

So, I slowly make my way through our quiet little town at 3:00AM and at the last stop light before I get on the freeway I see Mr. Sheriff waiting at a stop light and giving me a close look. He pulls in behind me and proceeds to follow me onto the freeway. I’m just laughing at this point because I’m thinking here come the lights. Sure enough after about ¼ mile of him following me while I’m doing the exact or under speed limit he turns on his Christmas tree and pulls me over. He walks up and says; “ I saw you had no plates and didn’t see your trip permit until now.†I say; “hey no problem, I woke up early and wanted to take a short test drive before before I get it passed for smog.â€

I was thinking, yeah right he saw that trip permit the whole time we were sitting there right behind me waiting for the light to change but you wanted to pull me over anyway. No biggie though as I don’t mind being pulled over (especially when I’m not speeding) and I had all my paperwork, insurance, etc.) But still I always get somewhat nervous when there are lights a blazing and someone has a big gun strapped to their side standing so close to you ;oP

He then told me that it’s illegal to drive without a hood. I told him it’s arriving next week. He said okay but you could get a ticket if someone really wanted to push the issue. Then he said try to keep your test trips to a minimum and have a good morning.

So, I thought I better not try to keep going to the scales about 10 miles down the road because with my luck tonight there’ll be some more officers at the scales who might want to push the no hood issue. So, I pulled off at the next exit make my way back home. :angry:

At least on the way home I made the custom Vtec light on gauge cluster light up going from 0 to 60 really fast. :D
Bruce

Whew my 95 Accord project is finally finished, registered, insured and running nicely. :D

Here is a link to my updated car page. It has the latest finished pictures of my 95 Accord project as well as a link to beginning of the restoration pages.
car page

This link below goes to the continuing restoration and completion of my 95 Accord Project. It also has links on there for how to remove your gauge cluster and inner bulbs such as the SRS bulb. And how to install a racing wheel complete with how to make your own horn connection to the horn button.
Restore pages continued

Thanks to everyone for their tips and advice along the way of this project!

Now I just have to wait for racing season to start up to really use the car ;o)
Bruce

Originally posted by NoJokE@Nov 3 2003, 07:54 PM
Congrats man!!! :thumbsup:

Nice to see her back on the road. Chris may want to see those wipers turn black but ... :p

Congrats.

Back