doing a b16 build need some advise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef8lsvtec88

ok well im going to be pulling my head off to do my build, i cant wait. brian crower ss valves, springs, retainers, stage 2 na cams- 300 adv. duration!!! also 320 cc rc injectors and have all the honda gaskets/belts/pumps ect. bronze valve guides---

ok well my question is what do you think i should do to adjust my a/f. i have an adj fpr walbro 190 lph and the VAFC-II. i dont nkow if i like the VAFC-II cuz it seems to no do much.

i dont really want to go through the whole conversion to obd1 and going to crome, turbo edit ect. will a simple chip work? and not the ebay ones!!! how should i control my fuel!!!

b16a1 pr3 pre obd

Last edited:
1) You need to up the compression or those cams will actually slow you down...

2) You should also get the head ported to take more advantage of the cams...

3) as far as tuning goes, go get an actual tune with a wideband and a good program. Since you want to stay obd-0, I *think* turboedit is one of the very few that still supports obd-0.

Stay away from piggy back shit like the AFC and Vafc's...

thx for the advice i figure that ill have to do some bottom end work too but what i herd through the grape vine pgmfi and turboedit are being sued from hondata for some posts or something. i dont know how much longer they will be around. i remember seeing a thread on pgmfi about raising funds to pay for a lawyer or somethign

anyone have any good luck with custom chips or is that still a waste of time?

also do you think i will whip my stock cams if i put the rest of my build together besides the cams , reason being i have to pull it aparts anyway i rather do what i can now and then through a decent bottom end in and then the cams --- figure what the hell im gonna do about fuel control mean while . any reliable input would help thx

OBD1 is far more capable as far as tuning is concerned vs. OBD0 so keep that in mind. If you put upgraded valve springs in with the stock cams the increased seat pressure will cause accelerated wear to the valvetrain so I wouldn't recommend doing that. You can put valve springs in later without removing the head, but it's not as easy as when you already have the head removed from the engine. Ideally you should wait until you have everything together before building the engine

yeah i guess ill jsut pull it off clean up the valves and throw it back together. gotta take it apart n e way so i guess its worth pulling them out and checking the seats and put new stem seals in. sux it doesnt run right id deffinitly build it but i guess ill stick that brian crower valvetrain in my closet and watch it accumulate dust lol. thx

Back