Doing H22a swap (Prelude), need help/info please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

prelude93si

Hey yall i have a 93 Prelude Si (H23) and i want to do a swap with a H22. Does anyone have any good info. on this matter? and where should i look for a engine should i get a used or a remanufactured engine? anyone have any good web sites?

hmotorsonline.com hands down for the motor

you will not find a better supplier

or you can try local junk yards for a better deal...

the swap is fairly straight forward...
i would advise the H22 trans with LSD, the H23 trans = you will fall out of vtec between some gears, namelt 1st and 2nd

you will need to wire vtec etc etc
P13's are a little expensive but well worth it

just get it from HMotorsonline.com. Easily 10-12 hours work, and driving

Just a drop in swap. Youll need to change the fuel rail off of your H23 onto your H22 and the put the injectors on that rail.

Thats really about it. All your accessories mount up. PS, AC ETC.

You just have to wire vtec and the knock sensor (4 wires...just go ahead and run them, and then tape them to the windshield while the engine is out).

Wire those into the P13 (see reference for the Tech articles for which pins to wire where).

Your good to go after that. Im pretty sure my SI Axles worked...couldnt be ABSOLUTELY sure.

the only problem ive heard of with hmotors is the occassional bad sensor. I had a bad EGR valve on mine, but really thats 80 bucks to the price of a good engine. Hmotors is usually on top of their game my engine comp tested at about 205 across the board.

really the only thing you have to do is think if you want LSD or not. IMO its worth it. cause if you dont it will cost 800 bucks or more and a little bit of work (or a lot if you decide to do it while the engine is still in) if you want it later. It is really worth the extra price.

yea im goin to get that when i get it. well my dad is gonna help me pay for the engine (no more than 4k) but he doesnt like the idea that its used he wants me to get a rebuilt or remanufactured engine. but i looked at one reman. site www.orientengine.com and it cost bout 3k for just the block and i know it cost twice the cost of a used engine. so im tryin to find as much info. on getting a used one what the pros and cons are. and like i last posted what would be recommended to change out? and what is the EGR valve

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. It pushes exhaust gas into the intake to lower combustion temps and in turn lower emissions.

Hmotors engines are great, dont get me wrong. If you want a remaned engine, buy the H22, have it shipped to us in dallas, we can rebuild it for you hone and everything. the problem is the H22 has fiber reinforced sleeves that do not like to be resurfaced. so if you want new pistons you have to either get honda OEM pistons, or we have to sleeve the block ($1,000 for a H22) and then buy pistons and rods...thats just for the block. We cant port and polish heads, but we can clean it up and install new components if you like.

If your dad is up for that, give us a call.

Allen Motor Sports
(214) 391-7562

ok thank you. and yes i did later on wanted to add new pistons and i wanted to bore it out also but wasnt sure what size i could go to and i wanted new retainers and valves,valve springs, but not sure what manufactured i should go with. i was thinkin bout skunk2 valves/springs/retainers and JE pistons.

i will always recommend comp or crower for head components. in this case crower since comp doesnt make head components for the H22.

JE pistons paired with Eagle rods is the best thing you can do, but as i said, you are going to have to sleeve the block, and that means you are without an engine for a few days if not a week. (got a lot of jobs)

ok i found the eninge components for the H22a Valve,Valve Springs, Retainers and JE pistons but since i want to bore out the block what size should i go to? and comp. Ratio? i later on want to add a turbo. and what mm size should i get for the intake/exhaust valves (from the crower website)? and i cant find a site for Eagle Rods. also do i need to change my crankshaft?

alrighty. Youll probably want to go stock size on the pistons w/ boost. Boring out drop in sleeves is going to lower their effectiveness...so you are going to stay at 87 mm. Stock to a mm over on valves is perfect for an H22 head...it has decent flow, i think the ITR and GSR are the only ones that flow better.

If you change pistons now, you will want 10:1 or 11:1, but with a turbo, 9:1 will be your friend, but you will not get as much power daily driving on a 9:1 piston. Just be advised. 9:1 just makes it easier to tune and it puts less stress on your engine when you decide to boost.

you're going way overboard here

you don;t evenknow how to install the motor and get it running right and you're talking about internals

you can not just throw forged pistons in an H22 motor...
you need to sleeve it, get your motor and install it and leave your "future" plans in the future...

hmotors guarantees their motors and i have yet to hear a story about them shipping out a bad motor to someone

they have a well earned reputation...

you want a swap and now a reman motor, reman will not come with all the stuff you need, it would most likely just be a long block and that doesn't give you the dizzy, injectors, etc etc etc

get the OBD1 H22 with LSD trans, and then get it installed and running right
you have to borrow money from your dad to get the motor so you really shouldn;t even be thinking about internals and turbos until you have funds to back it up

:werd:

I just know how dads (particularly mine) are. They dont want to waste their money. Hmotors has good engines, but if he is willing to back you up on getting it refurbished...then look at my instructions. Turbo engines need low compression to keep the knock down, but the higher the compression the higher the power.

10:1 is a good daily driven car, but its a little bit too high for boost.

What recked is saying kinda went with what i said earlier. In SBCs and and most honda engines (H22/23, C32 and F20B excluded) can take forged pistons (JE and the like). But some engines will eat themselves if you put such a thing in them. Thats why i said, if you are going to rebuild your engine you have to either use Honda OEM pistons, or sleeve your block and go with the aftermarket stuff.

recked is right again. by the time you get everything in, youre going to have a little under 2k left (if you do the install yourself) If you can get new pistons and rods for that price do it...but i would just wait and do a complete rebuild when you are ready. Hmotors has a great reputation for a reason. If i would have gotten something from password JDM, i would have had to replace every sensor on the damn thing...Hmotors that isnt a problem.

I just thought of something else. You will need a new header. the Exhaust manifold doesnt bolt up to the down pipe on the SI. So keep that in mind.

mine didnt come with downpipe...i had to buy an 80 dollar one off ebay.

ok so i should just stick to getting the enigne? or add the pistons and rods. or do that later? this is prolly going to happen during spring break when i can be out a car for awhile. but im just getting prices and how hard its going to be. :)

if you just want to add pistons you need to add a thousand bucks because the block will be sleeved. Id recommend getting the engine setup, and then youll be good to go. As we said, that H22 is gonna be in pretty good conditon if you get it from hmotors.

so i just need to worry about getting the engine and getting it into my car and running prop. before i do anything? and also is it a job i can do, if i have the right equipment? is there any kind of book i can go by if i do do it myself?

if you know the basic electrical components of the engine you should be fine.

you will have to reconnect all the vacuum lines and electrical connections. labels will be your friend on this.

the only thing you will need that you probably wont have is a hoist. other than that, i had everything in my garage i needed. although the axle hubbs sucked without an impact..

Back