Dollar for dollar best stock honda motor.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ryma

Lets say just some basic bolt ons and maybe a cam at the most, what do you folks think would be the best stock motor for the price.

Last edited:
Good question.

Best bang for the buck would be the ZC motor. It bolts right in with no shift linkage or motor mounts to buy, can be had for $500 if you shop around. Then with new hoses and belts, etc, you can have it intstalled and done for around $700. Decent power, easy cheap swap.

BUT.. the B18a1 or b1 are a close second place. You can find them, complete with enginge, transmission, and ecu for $800ish. More torque than most of the D series motors, 140ish hp, easy swap. But on top of the $800 you've got to buy axles, knuckles depending on the car, mounts, and shift linkages.. Its easily another $600 on top of the motor cost.

Then, the GSR (B18C1). This is a great motor. Great power and torque, almost as easy to swap in as the b18a1. But its more than twice the price, these go for $2000+

on a budget, in order from easiest/cheapest to hardest/more expensive:

ED/EF: zc, d16z6, b18a, b16a sir-1
EG: d16z6 (if its not an si/ex), b18b, b20b, b16a sir-2.

b18c/h22 get pricey in either car and are a bit harder to install.

Well like your sig says "pick two" and to me a turbo setup isn't very reliable, I have had a turbo car in the past and as well it ran it wasn't very reliable at all. I was always sinking money into it just to keep it drivable.

So I will keep a motor as stock as possible to keep the reliability that a stock motor has and add a bit more pep to it.
I dont drag race and I am more of an enduro type racer so reliability is very high up on my list of important things.

Yes I know if done right a turbo setup will be very reliable but I just dont want to waste the money to take that chance.

A boosted car is almost as reliable as stock car. As long as you build it correctly and have it tuned and don't beat on it all day everyday.

Been there done that. This is true if you are meticulous as hell and spare no costs. When I supercharged my old ride it took a few months of working out the bugs. After that it was smooth sailing.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you DAILY DRIVE the car,run 93 in it,have it very well tuned.it is just as reliable as a stock motor..
if your going for reliability and a little more pep its just not gonna happen..everything will start to break eventually,and as soon as you mod it it will have potential to break sooner rather than later..
throw an intake,header,exhaust on your motor..chip the ecu to pull the best out of your setup and call it a day..

if you DAILY DRIVE the car,run 93 in it,have it very well tuned.it is just as reliable as a stock motor..
if your going for reliability and a little more pep its just not gonna happen..everything will start to break eventually,and as soon as you mod it it will have potential to break sooner rather than later..
throw an intake,header,exhaust on your motor..chip the ecu to pull the best out of your setup and call it a day..

My sentiments exactly for a daily driver. once you pass I/H/E and tune you've gone past what you should be doing to a 'reliable' daily driver.

So now that we got that turbo stuff out of the way, lets keep on discussion best stock honda motor for the price.

on a budget, in order from easiest/cheapest to hardest/more expensive:

ED/EF: zc, d16z6, b18a, b16a sir-1
EG: d16z6 (if its not an si/ex), b18b, b20b, b16a sir-2.

b18c/h22 get pricey in either car and are a bit harder to install.

^^

Back