dont know what to build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tainticevil666

im wonderin if anyone can help me decide what motor to build, i want to build on a budget but still be the faster at the track, i hear alot of the ls serious motor, but i duno i dont think that ones really the "fastest for your money" i was thinkin about an h22a or h23 anything better then that i could put in a prelude iwthout spendin 10 gs?

Does the 10 g's include the price of the prelude? Because if you're spending 10g's on just the build, you don't have too much to worry about.

I would go with a boosted H23, because

1. its cheaper

2. its allready sleeved, that's what I heard

3. it has a bigger displacement

4. lower compresio

5. and it's same as a H22 VTEC, I had a H23 prelude and I raced my body who had a H22 prelude and he didn't even beat me, we jest stayed at a same paste, I had a cold air intake and the exhaust, and he had and intake and exhaust,

so get the H23, I think its better, the torque numbers are allomost the same 156 in a H23 and 158 in a VTEC H22, so that's not a big difference,

But the H22 has more aftermarket support than the h23, and parts are easier to come by. not to mention that it has vtec. Just get a cheap crx with a b16a boosted, and you'll probably spend less money. Sell the lude, and get a crx, or a teg, just my 2 cents

I agree 'ludes are too heavy,

but considering that you have an H in this car and you have no problem with it, I mean if you doin' a swap you have to deall with all this bullshit that's like trying to fit an foot ball in somebody's ass,

jest dont put extra stuff if you what to make it a race car,

lighten it up, you know, no stereo no back seats, take the spare tire off if you really in to it, I wouldn't but that's up to you,

and jest take weight off it,

and by the way, I don't think you will spend less money on the blown CRX, not even close unless you doin' the junk yard car, you know what I mean... :ph34r:

h22 is alot better motor than the h23 and has way more power by FAR. Now if you want to boost and have it be cheap the h23 is the way to go because it has a lower compression ratio and it will be alot easier to tune than a vtec car with boost. otherwise tha that the h22 is the way to go. Also you can by the prelude with both the motors in stock form. so if u havent already got one think about that too

My friend got a crx with a b16a already installed for under 3g's. Rebuild the bottom end for about 1500, provided you need to rebuild it, slap on a mild turbo kit for at most 2500, and you will be killing stock ludes for about 7000

I have a friend selling a 92-96 JDM RHD H22a TURBO Prelude swap, whole front clip w/ lights, fenders, dash, CF Hood, etc....

the lude motor doesn't way that much more "not atleast what most poeople think" over the B series.

I know that the motor is not that much more, but the prelude body it self is heavier, not to mention the tranny in those cars shift like crap. I hate shifting in the honda accords and preludes, they aren't very crisp.

the shifting differince is because of the cable linkage system nothing to do with the tranny itself

Originally posted by driver1@Dec 15 2003, 07:30 PM
the shifting differince is because of the cable linkage system nothing to do with the tranny itself

I was commenting on the crispness of the shifting, not the quality of the tranny, and so my point is entirely valid. I personally would take a civic, and integra, or a crx with a b series motor for several reasons.
1. All the above mentioned chassis are lighter than a prelude's
2. All the b-series motors are lighter than any prelude motor, even if its not by that much.
3. The reciprocating assemblies in the b motors have better geometry for high performance applications, maybe with exception of the ls motor, which is about the same.
4. More aftermarket support for all of the above mentioned chassis and b motors. This is not to say you can't find parts for the prelude, since I know you can. I'm just saying the probability of finding good prices on quality parts is higher with a civic, an integra or a crx. Bottom line; there are just more of them than preludes in the world.
5. The shifting linkage in the preludes just plain sucks. It was made for moms that wanted to feel cool and own a sports car. Honda's replacement for the prelude was, guess what...Nothing, and do you know why? Because they were too busy selling lots of V6 accord coupes to the same demographic!

Anyway, to the starter of this thread, there are a million roads you can take to go faster, and keeping your current car might save you some money in the short run, but there are much better options in other cars, a few of which I have mentioned. Make up your own mind on what you want and then go with it. Because if you like the car you own more than just for its ability to beat other people in a race, then you will probably be happier in the long run. Case in point; my 91 acura integra is not going to beat everybody I see at the track, but I like the car for its stying and comfort, and I don't give a crap about some guy in an ugly ass civic with an unpainted bodykit, even if he can beat me in a race. I just like my car for what it is. Anyway, I hope you get my point. Just do what satisfies you.

Back