Dont let freinds drive your car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
SO I am working on my friends car with him and we relize that we are missing a part so since I know alot more about working on cars then him, I said that I would stay here and work on it and he would go and get the part. So I throw him my keys and then keep on working. I told him, take it slow. After about 20 mintues, I was wondering where the fuck he was so I call his cell.

"Hey where are you?"
"Collin? ah bye" Click

Now what the fuck was that.

So I call up again, no answer, call up again no answer. Finally after the third try he answers his phone. He answers sounds all scared.

"Collin, I am real sorry, I crashed your car"
"You what, your fucking kiding me right?"
"I am real sorry, come to the end of your street, its in a ditch"

I ride my bike over there, see a my car in a ditch directly perpendiclar. At this point it sets in and I am so fucking pissed. The back of my car is facing the street, the muffler almost touching the ground. The nose of my car, baried, the middle of my car about a foot gap. At this point I cant even look at him. So I asked him what happened. He's like, "I wasn't even going fast, then all of a suddent the got stuck in my hand" This point I am like what the fuck are you talking about. Tow truck comes at this point, pulles it out. I didn't want it on my insurance and my freind understood, so he paid the $50 fee from the tow truck. So I take it around the block to see if it pulls or anything like that and it didn't. Basicly only damage that I can see is the bumper which is cracked in half.

So I drive home, (he rides the bike home) I ask him how fast he was really going. He says 30-35. That did it for me, now I am pissed. He has never driven anything remotly close to a performance car, and now he thinks that he can take turns at 35. I could tell right at the scene, he took the corner too fast, back end came out, he didn't know what to do, and it oversteered into the ditch. I told him straight up, what he did was fucking stupid, trying to push the car to the limits after 10 mintues of first driving it, he could have rolled the car, or more importantly, killed himself or others. He says that he is really sorry, he will pay for all damages, I wont have to pay a penny. So I call up the only body shop in town that I trust, they were not 100% sure but they thought it would be like 500 by the time I was all said and done. I am so fucking pissed right now.

It's not the car really, its the fact that he said lied right to my face of taking it easy, then did not call me the second it happen, then when I do call him, he hangs up after 2 seconds, then tells me that the wheel just got stuck and was going slow. He totally lost my trust.

i wouldnt consider a del sol a performance car. its just a 2 seater econobox like all other civics.

but sorry about your loss. :(

shatty mang but owell what do you do.... atleast hes willing to pay for the damages look at it that way

Originally posted by Green92HatchDX@Oct 22 2003, 11:39 PM
well thats on you. i wouldnt consider a del sol a performance car either. its just a 2 seater econobox like all other civics.

but you have to realize that I have a pretty agressive suspension set up and it takes a little bit of talent to take a turn at high speeds. He had no idea how to steer out of oversteer. He knows probally more then anyone that car is my pride and joy. He knows what has been done to it, but thats not the point.

my point is its just a car.

i had a nice civic, on new poly bushings, adjustable shocks, light rims and sticky tires. i rolled it. its a car. i got my insurance check, stripped my car and went on with my life.

Originally posted by Green92HatchDX@Oct 22 2003, 10:45 PM

i had a nice civic, on new poly bushings, adjustable shocks, light rims and sticky tires. i rolled it. its a car. i got my insurance check, stripped my car and went on with my life.

Its different when you f*ck it up yourself, but when someone you trust screws it up after you've put all your time and effort into it, it isnt so easy to forget. Yeah, maybe he is a partial fault for allowing his friend to drive it but at least his friend is willing to take responsibility for it. Lesson learned.

Originally posted by Green92HatchDX@Oct 23 2003, 03:45 AM

And I bet he knows that. Did you notice what he said in his topic there?

I told him straight up, what he did was fucking stupid, trying to push the car to the limits after 10 mintues of first driving it, he could have rolled the car, or more importantly, killed himself or others.

That's good. I don't think I would have been that rational.

It is just a car, but the sentimental value of property outweighs what a car is worth to the person who owns it and cares about it.

btw, what the hell have you don't to your FWD Sol to give it a shit load of oversteer? Do you like it handling like a RWD tank? :unsure:

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 22 2003, 11:48 PM
btw, what the hell have you don't to your FWD Sol to give it a shit load of oversteer? Do you like it handling like a RWD tank?  :unsure:

Teins (which I totally forgot that I had them at a pretty agressive setting) ITR rear sway, with stock front sway, and potenza so3 tires. I have experancing a little bit more oversteer then what I would like for the past few months. I have spun it out 4 or 5 times now at autocross's.

But I doubt that was the ultiment factor. It was because he was going to fast, the rear end started to slide, instead of flooring it and steering out of it, I am sure that he taped or slammed on the brakes, the last thing you want to do when your starting to slide. Stupidity mixed with Lack of experance.

tell him that paying for it isnt enough, you either get to smack his car into a ditch too.....or kick him in the nuts. any problem in life can be solved with a swift kick to the nuts.

jeez Collin, im sorry to hear that. at least the damage was minimal considering everything. just hope that guy does pay for it all like he said. what a F***ing ASSHAT! i guess its a lesson that could have come at a much bigger price, but thank god it didnt.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 22 2003, 11:55 PM
......potenza so3 tires.....

..... I have spun it out 4 or 5 times now at autocross's......

......the rear end started to slide......

if you had azenis, or a tire that was sticky enough for your wicked suspension setup, none of this would have ever happened :D

get something in writing or ill be seeing you on judge judy.

definately get something in writing saying that he was gonna pay.

i drove my buds eclipse a while back and some lady ran into me. i freaked out and didnt know what to do. my dumb ass didnt call the police because it only looked dented. i get in the car to drive it and the alignment is off like fuck. later he gets an estimate and just suspension damages total 700. i got stuck with the bill. but made him sign something saying i paid for it, and he will come to me for no more since it was fixed. shitty to say, but i haevnt talked to him since i paid. this kinda shit sucks.

sorry man

Hopefully you will get over it, I am sure you will. I let my roommate (one or two words?) drive my SI before, he didn't crash it or damage it, Thank God, but he decided not to come back for 2 hours, when all he needed to do was go to 7-11 to buy a soda and some chewing tobacco. 7-11 was one mile away, I was fuckin' pissed, "I put gas in it." That is not the point, it is the fact that all you had to do was call me and say you needed my a little longer, I trusted him, we have been best friends for 7 years, but don't just take the damn thing. I really didn't care about the car, what if he had gotten in an accident and really hurt, cars are replacable friends are not. Oh well, me and him are still friends, don't let this get in between you guys, at least let a girl mess up the friendship, if anything, but not car damage. You will probably sell the car eventually, I don't think you will sell your friend.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 23 2003, 06:24 AM
if you had azenis, or a tire that was sticky enough for your wicked suspension setup, none of this would have ever happened :D

But Chris rolled his hatch with azenis on it... :blink:

Collin: You learned a very good lesson about letting friends drive your car. That especially applies when they are 25 years and under. It fits the insurance profile for accidents. Young males 25 and under AND that most accidents occur close to the home. People are sloppy driving roads that they know well.

About the initial lies, well your friend was in severe shock at what he had done. I think most of us have had that same reaction when reporting a faux pas to our parents. So take it easy on him. And it sounds like he wants to do the right thing, but again, take it easy. If $500 is a lot of money for him and you flip out on him too often over this, he may just flake out on paying you back for this and ditch your friendship. So cut him some slack.

Mixing friends and money/cars is never an easy combo.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Oct 23 2003, 06:24 AM-->
asmallsol
@Oct 22 2003, 11:55 PM

lol, azenis aren't gonna stop a dumbass from breaking the rear end loose.
tires don't solve every problem

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Oct 23 2003, 05:24 AM-->
asmallsol
@Oct 22 2003, 11:55 PM

:owned:

and dude, its REALLY hard to make any fwd car oversteer at 35 mph.

so either he was lying about how fast he was going or he should still be riding tricycles

why are all the TI peoples cars getting fucked up?

my roomate wants to drive my car all the time, this is a kid that goes thru a clutch in a month and he wonders why i wont let him drive my car

Well, you can oversteer a Front wheel drive at 35mph very easy. Turn the wheel as hard as you can. :D Buy hey, just let it go stay friends, and only bring it up when he is being an asshole. Like if you want to borrow a shirt or something, and he says no. "Remember than time you fucked up my car?" Something like that.

Back