Don't run linux?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cause i love my macbook that i got for school

I am starting up an advertising company of sorts. I would run Linux, however I need 24/7 support, for both software, and hardware. I do not have time to run through the forums, ask questions, get flamed, or called a n00b, when I am just trying to conduct my business. There are some definate pluses to working with a company that has to worry about customer service. I am also working now with a few XServes, I have an XRAID set up, and I am running XGrid with a few nodes, hopefully more to come in the future. When rendering out projects I need to be able to distribute my computing task from both Apple and Third party software. OS X Server does that for me, no additional software, and very minor setup.
What you want here is exactly what RedHat, Novell, Linspire, etc. all build their business around. RedHat and Novell both offer Enterprise level support for both Desktops and Servers (RHEL installs on both, SuSE has SLES and SLED). As for distributed rendering, Linux runs on, IIRC, 4 or 5 of the top 10 supercomputers. No other OS has anywhere near the share of top HPC's. I garauntee that Linux clusters or distributed envrinments will perform better for less than you Apple solution.
97AccorDEx said:
yea...im pretty much with the crowd here...compatability...laziness...a nd i also dont really care to go with the command line structure...even though it is a hell of a lot faster...i just prefer point and click...
Compatibility? If there isn't a Linux app that does exactly what you need already, run Wine. Almost all of the apps you could want to run will work under Wine. As for Command line, I said it earlier, I installed Freespire earlier and never once touched the command line.

Linux is fine and dandy, but I have to run Adobe, Apple, and Macromedia (now adobe) Apps. At the same time run a file server, a web server, and distributed computing node. Apple wins. However Shake, and Final Cut will only distribute with XGrid. Plus it is pre-installed no software to hunt out and set up. Plus now that we have VC support, there is some software we are under corporate contract to use, and there are not linux versions. However, I have found a mac versions. We are going to have one PC in our opperation once we are fully up and running and that is so our 55 year old accountant can do what she has to do. Although most of the macs that we are buying right now will most likely have a copy of Windows installed.

I can't say anything about Apple apps, but Adobe sucks. They can't (or won't) make anything work for Linux beyond Reader. But come on, File Server: NFS or Samba (probably the same software that you are running for your Mac). Web server: Apache (again, the same that your Mac runs), distributed environment, too many to list (DCE for instance, and I would be willing to be that xGrid is a port of something already out in the open source community), with many that are really, really easy to setup. I garauntee that you could have setup your IT infrastructure for significantly less by avoiding proprietary operating systems.

I am getting a machine to run/learn linux on, and was wondering what distro would be the easiest most user friendly to start with. I've read Ubuntu is decent. I'm not really code savvy, but can find my way through it if need be.

I am getting a machine to run/learn linux on, and was wondering what distro would be the easiest most user friendly to start with. I've read Ubuntu is decent. I'm not really code savvy, but can find my way through it if need be.

I'd start with ubuntu, I've tried linspire and freespire, fedora, I feel the package managment system for ubuntu is just far better than other distros. aptitude imho is just easier than linspire's cnr. and if a package isn't avaliable you can try and find an .rpm package and use checkinstall to easily install the program with aptitude. Suse's Yast is pretty good too. But in the long run I like that ubuntu is absolutely free.

so for starters I'd go with ubuntu or suse. only reason suse is #2 is becasue you need to pay a subscription to recieve updates

Gotta be 100% compatible with files at work...
OpenOffice will read all MS Office files... What else do you have that is MS only?
I'd start with ubuntu, I've tried linspire and freespire, fedora, I feel the package managment system for ubuntu is just far better than other distros. aptitude imho is just easier than linspire's cnr. and if a package isn't avaliable you can try and find an .rpm package and use checkinstall to easily install the program with aptitude. Suse's Yast is pretty good too. But in the long run I like that ubuntu is absolutely free.

so for starters I'd go with ubuntu or suse. only reason suse is #2 is becasue you need to pay a subscription to recieve updates
The only reason I would suggest Freespire over Ubuntu is that they give access to anything (including proprietary drivers) without any extra configuration. Freespire is for those that absolutely detest configuration files (even without the command line). Personally, I agree that Ubuntu (Kubuntu for me) if a better choice and is more inline with the Free Software idea.

:shrug2:

Just everything from work- CAD crap, proprietary software, classified shit etc.

CAD is one of the few places where Linux doesn't have a real answer, but there is always Wine :)

True- don't really want to run WINE just to run MS only stuff, especially when it comes to touchy things like CAD packages and games.

:werd: i just started with kubuntu and its very simple to use with little knowledge of anything command line. I do seem to find myself having to resort to using the command line more than i expected, but nothing more than just moving/copying/deleting stuff using a root shell when kde wont let me.

So id say ubuntu/kubuntu for ease of use and learning

Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop by default, Kubuntu uses KDE. KDE is easier to use IMO, but the graphics library it is built on is dual licsensed under a proprietry liscense and the GPL so most of the serious hardcore Open Source guys don't like it. Where as Gnome is all GPL or LGPL IIRC.

True- don't really want to run WINE just to run MS only stuff, especially when it comes to touchy things like CAD packages and games.
I have played several games under Wine, it can take some tweeking, but for the most part it works fine. I get better performance without the virtual machine so for gaming I still run XP (all it is for is gaming anyways). As for CAD, if Lotus Notes can be stable under Wine, I am sure that your CAD program would work fine.

Depends on the CAD program. AutoDesk, maybe will be fine, as it isn't very graphics intensive. Pro-E, Catia, Solidworks, and any other solid modelling 3D CAD might have trouble with the virtual desktop. But I am not familiar with how much of the processor load the virtual desktop actually uses, so it may or may not be an issue. Build a linux machine, Mike! Even I'm getting on the linux bandwagon, lol! I'll load SolidWorks, and tell you how it runs. Which CAD program does Lockheed use? I'm guessing Catia.

There isn't much overhead from Wine, and if you run the proprietary ATI or nVidia drivers, you have full 3D acceleration anyways...

I have played several games under Wine, it can take some tweeking, but for the most part it works fine. I get better performance without the virtual machine so for gaming I still run XP (all it is for is gaming anyways). As for CAD, if Lotus Notes can be stable under Wine, I am sure that your CAD program would work fine.

Most anything I do that's processor intensive is gaming right now anyway, so XP is the right choice for now. I don't like flipping between computers all the time just so I can run X for a normal desktop.

Depends on the CAD program. AutoDesk, maybe will be fine, as it isn't very graphics intensive. Pro-E, Catia, Solidworks, and any other solid modelling 3D CAD might have trouble with the virtual desktop. But I am not familiar with how much of the processor load the virtual desktop actually uses, so it may or may not be an issue. Build a linux machine, Mike! Even I'm getting on the linux bandwagon, lol! I'll load SolidWorks, and tell you how it runs. Which CAD program does Lockheed use? I'm guessing Catia.

I'm actually not sure that we run Catia. I'm sure we do. Most of the programs we have are proprietary and written by Lockheed people- and we do use Pro/E a lot.

I'll build a Linux machine after I get my main computer back up and running. I need to upgrade it first.

Back