DON'T UPDATE!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef9civicgen4

well i've got some fucked up news. well we are running window xp home at my house, and you know those little pop ups that come up at the bottom saying, "theres an update that you can download." wel one came up yesterday saying it was the "update package number one." so we were like okay, and we started to download it. it got to 98% done and the computer went to a black screen. so we tried to restart it, and it would go throught the usual routin of the windows xp screen, the computer title screen, and then *blink* and start all over again. we let it do this for like and hour and finally we gave up, and had to use the sytem restore disk.

so all the pictures we took, the music, the videos, my favorites, EVERYTHING that we had gotten in the last two years is gone. so if you get that little pop up DONT UPDATE if it asks you to.

You're only suppose to update the "windows update" and it doesnt just dload shit. It takes you to the site and it scans your comp from MS's site.. Welcome to the wonderful world of spyware that you had on there, and tha twas your mistake.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Feb 17 2004, 08:13 AM
You're only suppose to update the "windows update" and it doesnt just dload shit. It takes you to the site and it scans your comp from MS's site.. Welcome to the wonderful world of spyware that you had on there, and tha twas your mistake.

according to my dad (he was the one who downloaded it) it was a windows udpate, AND it took him to the windows site. it sounded pretty official.

i know we had spyware a few months ago but im pretty sure we cleaned it.

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4+Feb 17 2004, 08:23 AM-->
Domeskilla
@Feb 17 2004, 08:13 AM

according to my dad (he was the one who downloaded it) it was a windows udpate, AND it took him to the windows site. it sounded pretty official.

i know we had spyware a few months ago but im pretty sure we cleaned it.

The MS site will not crash your computer. If it did, then they'd get sued by more ppl if it happened to a lot of ppl and a lot of ppl use XP.

You probably had spyware and it was in affect or a file had been planted via spyware and when you updated, it crashed. Very common.

If you formatted and started over, then you dont have spyware... ways to keep sypware off your machine.

1) dload kazaa lite (you can still find it or ask someone for the installer if you dload music.. others, like WinMX DOES stick Spyware on your comp)
2) dload Monzilla www.monzilla.org and erase IE as your browse. IE can obtain spyware. I dloaded Monzilla and I love it. I know its a big bandwagon right now, but it loads faster, and its less of a headache, b/c in IE my settings use to just random disappear, not anymore.
3) dont dload shit unless you KNOW where it is coming from, i.e. download.com, yahoo.com shit like that. Sometimes, you get "you must dload this to view this page" shit, click no on that and i bet, unless its flash/macromedia, you'll be able to view the page, a lot of that shit you're saying yes to, is dloading spyware/viruses.

that sucks bro....

id die if i lost all my pictures. i back everything up onto a cd every other month, tho.

windows update will not always take you to the windwosupdate.com site, depending on how the user pref's are set up.

some settings dl automatically, and install on command
some dl and install behind the sceenes
some simply tell you that a new dl exists, and you have to go get it.

honestly, it sounds like user error.

all i know is that i lost over 23gigs worth the racing videos, around 12gigs worth the music, and some pics and vids of our family.

i doubt ill be able to even get half that shit back.

um kazaa lite is still free. i use it all the time and just d ownloaded one recently after i started my c omp from scratch again

You just have to find it for free.. the Kazaa Lite website wants money.

Just stick the HD from the computer that crashed into another computer and back up all your shit. Its not gone, windows is just fuxored. Back up the HD and then reinstall Windows.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 17 2004, 04:41 PM
Just stick the HD from the computer that crashed into another computer and back up all your shit. Its not gone, windows is just fuxored. Back up the HD and then reinstall Windows.

I think he already formatted.

These giant hard drives these days make you forget that you still need to back things up... An unrecoverable problem with the OS or the hard drive dies, and bam, you've lost a ton of stuff. At the very least I would have backed up the family videos to CD or DVD-R

Back