Door won't lock/unlock

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
I've been having this problem for a while and I don't know if you guys have any tips. My drivers side door won't lock with the key. It feels like the rod just deflects instead of working the lock mechanism. The power locks will work no problem. So to lock my door I have to stand outside the vehicle and hold the outside handle and push the power lock button. Of course the actuator is bad in the passenger door, so I only have power locks on the drivers side. But the passengers side key hole works fine.

When I unlock it, I have to hold the key all the way in the unlock position then pull the door handle while holding the key there. Cause it will just lock again if I pull the key out, or put it back into the middle position.

This is only an intermittent problem, but its more often than not. Sometimes its fine, sometimes its broken. Any ideas?

The rod is probably bent. pop the door panel off and inspect. it will probably be obvious.

I agree^^^^, but what caused the rod to bind, is that the lock mechanism components are getting rusty... You would be better off taking everything apart and lubing everything up... I had a similar issue with my older civic. Lubed everything up and worked like new.

I probably bent the rod rolling around with a bad window regulator (so I could easy fix it if I had to) I'll take it apart when it's warmer and lube everything up, and get it working again. Just wondered if it might be the lock cylinder...

While I'm here... Wasn't there a different front end that came on the EK? Almost like the Acura? Was that just the 1.6CL?

i think you are referring to the Acura 1.6EL
Acura EL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

280px-%2799-%2700_Acura_EL.jpg

CL, EL, its an Acura. This must be what I saw. I saw it when I was noobier, and then I forgot what it was. I thought it was ferio, but obviously I was wrong.

Fucker locked me out last night. Came out of work, had to pull the handle with the key in unlock position. Started my car, grabbed my ice scraper, and scraped off my windshield. When I got done I went to open the door and it was locked. Thank god for aaa.

Back