Double Clutching while drag racing?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

awitron

Ok i've been coming to the site for a couple months now and i've nerver posted anything, but i was reading the stuff about double clutching and they say that theres no such thing as double clutching while drag racing. i have a 95 civic coupe w/sohc vtec, cold air and short shifter pretty much stock. maybe im describing another racing technique but what is it when; and i've done this before, im racing i take off at about 32-3400 rpm at about 5400 rpm just tap the clutch rpm goes to 7000 keep it floored but rpm doesnt go higher till about another 1.5 seconds then shift to second while not letting go of the gas (my rpm goes to about 7600 rpm) then in second wait till rpm climb to about 56-5700 rpm then do the same. this doesnt have as strong an effect in 3rd 4th and 5th. i personally really dont like "double clutching" because i dont know if it works or not. i want to race a similar car as mine and race him with me "double clutching" and then not double clutching. then see if it actuall helps. or i just might go to a race strip and time myself.

my car shows the redline at 7200 but the limiter doesnt kick in till about 78-7900 i dont know if thats normal.

Sounds like you're forcing the clutch to start slipping, and power shifting.

Double clutching is when you clutch to take the car out of gear, let off, then reclutch to slide the tranny into the next gear.

BIG waste of time during a drag race.

double clutching is for DOWNSHIFTING, not upshifting. so unless you are racing from 5th to 1st gears, its pointless

ok so i guess what i explained isn't double clutching. about double clutching while downshifting wouldnt it be better lets say your in forth and you depress the clutch then blip the gas then shift to third. without having to press and release the clutch two time you could save time and it would have the same effect wouldnt it?

No, you want to spin the tranny up to the desired rpm (the speed at which the engine will be turning when the gear change is complete,) and you can't do that unless you let the clutch out in neutral to spin the entire assembly up to speed. If you jsut blip the throttle with the clutch in, you would just be spinning up the engine, when you want to spin up the tranny and engine. Hope that explains it.

on our cars with synchros yes that works just fine
on older cars or race cars without synchros no you must press the clutch, take it out of gear, release the clutch, blip the throttle to match the RPMs, press the clutch again, put it in gear, and release the clutch

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 7 2003, 05:05 AM
double clutching is for DOWNSHIFTING, not upshifting. so unless you are racing from 5th to 1st gears, its pointless

Racing from 5th to 1st gear... Now that's a race I'd pay for! :spin:

yeah i use to think that double-clutching was for upshifting too but it is explained quit well in here.

no, you wouldn't

double clutching is used to save the synchros. NOTHING more.

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Jul 30 2003, 02:41 AM
You would double clutch in autox or on the track to get more usable torque... or so i've been told.

:lmao:

I want to see someone double clutch in autocross and win. It will slow you down too much...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think double clutching went the way of the beeper once syncros became widely used. And BTW - the technique you are describing IS making your clutch slip from 5800 to 7500 RPMs. You are loosing speed. Try this next time.

At about 5k in first gear start pulling the stick down to 2nd gear. If you are accelerating it will NOT slide out of first. Apply more pressure as your RPMs rise. At your shift point push the clutch in and out as fast as you can. This is called powershifting. The car will slam into second gear. It is what wins drag races. You can do this for every gear but 2nd to 3rd is tricky... you don't want to miss and go back into 1rst. If you do... Say hello to 13,000 RPMs... :D

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 30 2003, 03:14 AM
I want to see someone double clutch in autocross and win. It will slow you down too much...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Um....
Why does double clutching help?

1. Smooth transitions are everthing in racing. If you're downshifting during a turn at a road course and you're cornering at the limit, a sudden lurch in your car isn't going to be too pretty. Say hello to the curb/barrier or whatever is going to catch you when you spin out. Double clutch properly, and you'll be faster/smoother at the track.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...?showtopic=3637

"For every Honda that can run an 11, there are a hundred Mustangs, Camaros, and Trans Ams who have the ability to run 9's."

NOT IN MY TOWN....MAYBE THEY ARE ALL AT HOME WORKING ON THERE CARS

that is why when you downshift under braking in the corner, you match your rpms before letting out the clutch, allowing for a perfectly smooth transition. Ever hear of
"heel-toe"?:)

Originally posted by Prowler@Aug 13 2003, 02:47 PM
Um....

Autocrosses are way too short and quick to really benefit from double clutching... if you can do it and be faster than not using it, more power to you- but cornering at the limit at 100+ mph on a road course would require a much smoother transition than on an autocross course.

double clutching is what they did before synchronizers were invented. Synchros are on the car to help you shift faster, use em. double clutching (upshifting) won't help you out when you're illegally drag racing someone. So you're going to do it you might as well teleport yourself back to the old days of the model T (or A) and shift 5 times to pull it from one gear to another. B)

Originally posted by IDMaxGuy@Aug 14 2003, 04:34 AM
i think that has already been pointed out but nice try <_<

well the thread kept going on because people didn't get it, so I pointed it out again. Nice try yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back