DP-MPFI for ZC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timEspeed

I got a '91 DX with DOHC ZC, ZC tranmission and PM7 (ZC ECU). I've had this swapped finished for a while but the throttle isn't right. I'm told the ecu is bad by the guys at the shop. Neway, I just wanna make sure I did the wiring right. If I use the ZC ECU and the dx harness I still had to of done the fuel injection changes, correct? If I follwed the typical wiring instruction for dp-mpfi, would this have been the right way to do it with my set up?

did u remember to switch the wires at the tps? the two outer wires get swapped or the ecu will think you are at idle at wot and vice versa.

the idle is smooth and sounds good but as soon as I give it throttle it back fires and struggles to get up to speed. I've had my wiring checked over a few times and I've tried the TPS wires and EACV wires both ways. I don't know what the hell is wrong.

im a noob but i think i can finaly help...

i had the same problem, my car was running so bad adfter i swapped a mpfi and my car is only a dpfi and i havent changed that yet

your computer is telling your motor its a mpfi...pull up the carpet and see what codes your ecu is throwing you, i know when i put my old d15b2 ecu back in my car on the (91)si motor it ran so much better, try just swapping ecu's if you still have your old one

Update: All the wiring is right and the ECU functions perfectly in a JDM Si. Has anyone heard of the Crank Angle Sensor going bad (I get a code 4)? Anyother ideas as to whats wrong?

ya i had that go bad in my first zc, you have to replace the dizzy or gut the sensor out of one, i think messed up fuel pressure can also make you throw a 4. hope that helps

Fuel pressure, huhhh? Didn't ever think it could be a fuel problem. What would effect the throttle in this way? Dirty injectors, fuel pump, filter? On the DOHC ZC the Crank Angle Sensor is on the end of the exhaust cam, not in the distributor. I know in most Hondas it is, but not in the case of the EF3. Anyone have this CAS go bad? HEELLPPPP MMEEEE :worthy:

Originally posted by timEspeed@Jan 20 2004, 09:01 AM
On the DOHC ZC the Crank Angle Sensor is on the end of the exhaust cam, not in the distributor. I know in most Hondas it is, but not in the case of the EF3. Anyone have this CAS go bad? HEELLPPPP MMEEEE :worthy:

the sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft is the cylinder position sensor CPS and will throw code 9 - the crank angle (or crank position) sensor is in the distributor and throws code 4 - normally this code would be due to improper wiring at the distributor, a bad distributor or incorrect camshaft timing - from what you describe, i would first check to make sure the wiring is correct and connnections are secure and that the timing belt is installed correctly - i would then try a different distributor

Ok, I see the confusion now. All my wiring has been triple-checked and the timing belt, water pump are new NAPA peices. The timing has been set to zero degrees. I would have to have the entire core replaced to fix this problem, correct? Is it possible to just change the sensor? Is there any thing else that could be causing my problems?
Thanx for all your help~
~timE

i dont know if this would help but i had the same problem when i did my sohc zc in my crx. it would idle fine and id hit the gas and boooom!!!! backfire! after killing my mind for a week i re read all the diffrent variations of istructions i found to do the wiring. they all are a lil miss leading when it came to wiring up the cps sensor. they said to cut this set of wires and relocate them to like c1 and c2 or whatever. in reality they had to be cut relocated to c1 and c2 and then jumped back over to the original position. after i did this the engine ran fine and is still running fine, very stong lil motor and durable. check that out and pm me with any ?s you might have oh i used the 88 integra ecu if that makes a diffrence!

ok, I see. I do remember hearing that now. Ok, how about this axel debate? I put '89 integra axles in and Ive heard that they might pop out or twist? Is there any truth in that and if there is should i use 90 - 93 axles instead?

Originally posted by cavrx@Jan 23 2004, 09:29 PM
i dont know if this would help but i had the same problem when i did my sohc zc in my crx. it would idle fine and id hit the gas and boooom!!!! backfire! after killing my mind for a week i re read all the diffrent variations of istructions i found to do the wiring. they all are a lil miss leading when it came to wiring up the cps sensor. they said to cut this set of wires and relocate them to like c1 and c2 or whatever. in reality they had to be cut relocated to c1 and c2 and then jumped back over to the original position. after i did this the engine ran fine and is still running fine, very stong lil motor and durable. check that out and pm me with any ?s you might have oh i used the 88 integra ecu if that makes a diffrence!

yeah, some of the instructions don't say that they are for DOHC ZC - the DOHC has the sensor on the exhaust cam that needs 2 wires to it - on the SOHC ZC that sensor (CPS) is inthe distributor - for the SOHC in DX you need to swap the distributor plug for one from Si and connect C1 and C2 to that plug

Originally posted by timEspeed@Jan 24 2004, 03:47 PM
ok, I see. I do remember hearing that now. Ok, how about this axel debate? I put '89 integra axles in and Ive heard that they might pop out or twist? Is there any truth in that and if there is should i use 90 - 93 axles instead?

the 88-89 integra axles are definitely about an inch shorter than the 90-93 integra - as for them popping out, i could see how it would be possible, but have only used the 90-93, so i can't verify that this is fact - but they are shorter

can any one with 89 axles verify this? Ive heard that they could twist and cause big problems. I wouldn't know because I can't get over 10mph with my current run condition.

check your map sensor wiring...

i've done two swaps that had those EXACT same symptoms...
EXACT...

hope this helps...

Back