DPFI->MPFI; engine code...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustang67n

ok, i got everything set up on the swap, started the engine and it started fine. idled great, but the check engine light was on, and the ECU was flashing evenly 4 times, then repeats... so * * * *- * * * * -* * * * - like that. when i rev the engine it goes to what sounds like 3/4000 and then sounds like its hitting a rev limiter. took it for a little spin to make sure my clutch was adjusted right, and i could only go about 10 MPH..

what does this code mean? wtf is wrong?! lol

thanks guys

Last edited:
crank angle sensor. u have to run two wires from your ecu to the distributor to hook it up. theres a complete write up on here somewhere just search for the dpfi to mpfi swap and it will tell you which to pins from the ecu u need to wire

yeah, earlier i found the code thing, figured out it was the crank angle sensor..

i already wired up the 2 wires from the ecu to my dist. i'm gonna check 'em all and make sure they've got good connections, and wired to the right spots lol

thanks!

ok.. i got that fixed.
turns out we didnt re-wire one of those wires DOH!

anyways.. got it fixed, started it, ran GREAT no codes, nothing. revved it, it was strong.
so i turned it off to fill up the coolant so i could drive it today.. filled it up.. and now the fucker wont start! it turns over, tries to start, but wont. it sounds like its missing or something!

would the fact that NOW the crank sensor is working throw off my timing?
i adjusted the dist. to see if it would make a difference, but it didnt help much. any thoughts? i need this car running by the 4th of july!!

this is mustang67n im just on my friends login. we found out that coolant was getting into the combustion chamber and that was why it wasnt running. now we drained it and got it pretty much burned off in there. but now white smoke is coming out of the exhaust and it pings like no other. what do you guys think the pinging and white smoke is for. it runs fine now but pings and has endless white smoke coming out.

sorry for long post. thanks

make sure that when u put ur intake manifold gasket on that all the old gasket was scraped off clean because if there was some old gasket on there it wont seal and the coolant that passes through the intake manifold will seap into the ports....happened to me many times....i say pull the manifold and scrape everything clean and put a nice fresh gasket

yeah, i did that already, but thanks man!

turns out.. we uhh.. kinda.. uhhh... accidentally put a coolant line on a vacuum port on the intake mani.. ooops? lol.

now all the coolant is cleared out, and we adjusted the valves, now the knock is gone and it runs smoooth
its quite sluggish though.. its slower than it used to be with he DPFI! i can barely chirp the tires in first i used to be able to squeal 'em in first and second.

also, its pulling codes 7 and 17.. i think lol
it flashes seven times.. then waits... then flashes 17 times. then repeats

i messed with the TPS (code 7) and reset the ECU, hasnt thrown a code since! neither the 7 nor the 17, though my speedo isnt working (17 is the vehicle speed sensor) so.. gotta figure that out..

i figured out the sluggishness.. i used to have decent power from about 3 all the way to redline.. now, the power starts a little later, but my redline seems higher aswell. i guess my power band is different now lol.

anyways.. car runs great, and sounds pretty mean too! stock exhaust, stock MPFI intake mani, stock D16A6, with a cheap auto-zone chrome air filter, and it sounds pretty sweet!

i just wanna say thanks to all of you for your help out with this project! anything else comes up, i'll deffenitely post here first!
i also plan to stick around and learn more!

thanks again everyone!

if youre getting a code 17 it should flash one time for a long period, then 7 rather quickly. are you sure you're seeing it flash 17 times?

yeah, it flashes 17 times.. ive checked it a few times now.. 17 for sure..
it flashes 7 times, then leave a little space and goes 10 times. the space between is hardly noticeable so i dont think its going 7 then ten, i think it is 17.. any ideas?!

this is a PM6 ECU

mustang67n said:
yeah, it flashes 17 times.. ive checked it a few times now.. 17 for sure..
it flashes 7 times, then leave a little space and goes 10 times. the space between is hardly noticeable so i dont think its going 7 then ten, i think it is 17.. any ideas?!

this is a PM6 ECU

They are short flashed, right? Yea, its a code 7 and . Like I said, if it was a 17 then it would falsh 1 long flash and then 7 short ones after it.

7 - TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
10 - IAT - Intake Air Temp Sensor - located in #1 runner on the intake manifold. (closest to the timing belt)
17 - VSS - this is actually located on the back of the speedometer/gauge cluster. Since it sa cable driven speedo, you will need to test the VSS on the back of the gauge cluster. Trust me, I had the same problem. replaced the guage cluster, problem solved.

Good luck dude.

yeah, they're short flashes

the IAT sensor is probably out too then.. or just not connected lol. gotta figure that out too then i guess.

i think i know whats wrong with the TPS..

and my VSS probably doesnt work either.. my speedo doesnt work, so that would probably be a sign of that huh? lol

thanks man!

brian11to1 said:
if youre getting a code 17 it should flash one time for a long period, then 7 rather quickly. are you sure you're seeing it flash 17 times?
PM6 ECUs do not flash long and short - they only flash short - for code 17 it will flash 17 times

ok, so its the VSS thats a relief.. i checked what i thought was wrong with the TPS and it was fine lol

so.. from what brian (im guessing htats your name lol) said, replacing the cluster will fix that?

anyone know of a write up, or something similar on how to pull the gauge cluster out? thanks :)

looked under the hood, and found the speedo cable.. was just hanging there lol. i threw it in its hole, and the speedo works perfect!

i havent reset the ECU yet so its still giving me code 17, but everythings working so im sure everythings fine. i'll reset it tomorrow and let you all know how it all went!

jlicrx said:
PM6 ECUs do not flash long and short - they only flash short - for code 17 it will flash 17 times

I assumed obd0 ecu's all flashed long/short. Thanks for correcting me though. Gotta learn somehow.

Back