DPFI--->MPFI swap prep Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

grassyfields9

I have been doing alot of research trying to prepare myself for converting my 89 civic DX into MPFI. I have gone so far as to scavenge junkyard for parts for the swap, however I could not find an 88-91 si. What I did come across is a 94 civic EX which I assumed was the same because it is D seriesanyway all of the parts were on the intake so I pulled it.
My question is with the EX being OBD 1 is it feasable to use this intake in my swap and if so should I use the teg's PG6 the si's PM6 or the EX P28 ECU I would like to convert to VTEC in the future, but I would like to have the manifold swap done first. I thought I heard somewhere you could use this head for a mini-me so that is why I took the intake. Are most of the early D series parts swappable? And when changing the head is this going to screw with the CR, anyway enough babbling

IF ANYONE HAS DONE ANY OF THESE SWAPS ON THEIR CIVIC I WOULD APPRECIATE THEIR INPUT AND LIKES/DILIKES

p.s If anyone knows where there is a vacuum hose routing diagram on the web please include that

well i just most recently did mpfi and it was pretty easy, but a little complicated. well i think you could use the ex manifold, but i'm not sure, but here is the site i used to do my swap:
www.fourthgenhatch.com/mpfi.html

for the vaccum line diagram use this site:
(si) binghamtonlife.com/manual/2gsm/images/91-11-71.jpg
and if you have anymore Q's feel free to ask.

p.s. you want to use the pm6 ecu cause it is obd0, and also in the future if you plan on doing the mini-me, all you would have to do is run the vtec wires and use an external vtec controller, which you can make your own with this site:
www.geocities.com/bing_bong916/vtec_cont1.html

oh and if you do the mini-me swap it is not smog legal, just to let you know, so if you want vtec then i would recommend doing the d16z6 swap.

Originally posted by dragon2003@Mar 20 2005, 07:49 PM
oh and if you do the mini-me swap it is not smog legal, just to let you know, so if you want vtec then i would recommend doing the d16z6 swap.
[post=476230]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the sites! Does it matter if the ECU is from an A/T or M/T.

Is anybody positive one way or the other if the OBD1 manifold and injectors will work with the PM6

Yes the ECU matters when I did my swap I had to get a PM6 ecu because it was for a manual not an auto.

well you are going to have to use the pm6 ecu, along with obd0 injectors, and the pm6 is for mpfi and 5-speed tranny only.

Originally posted by dragon2003@Mar 22 2005, 03:22 PM
well you are going to have to use the pm6 ecu, along with obd0 injectors, and the pm6 is for mpfi and 5-speed tranny only.
[post=477129]Quoted post[/post]​
So the PM6 won't controlan auto? Wadda bout the PW0 or PR3 SOHC VTEC ECU's. or could I just run a P28 auto ECU. If in the future I swapped out the tranny for a 5 speed would the automatic ECU still work??

Can a manual PM6 be switched to run an auto tranny?

Originally posted by grassyfields9+Mar 22 2005, 04:58 PM-->
dragon2003
@Mar 22 2005, 03:22 PM
[post=477129]Quoted post[/post]
So the PM6 won't controlan auto? Wadda bout the PW0 or PR3 SOHC VTEC ECU's. or could I just run a P28 auto ECU. If in the future I swapped out the tranny for a 5 speed would the automatic ECU still work??

Can a manual PM6 be switched to run an auto tranny?
[post=477259]Quoted post[/post]​

get a PS9 ECU from 90-91 Civic EX automatic

Last edited:
well you wouldn't be able to plug the p28 into your harness cause the wires are different and also the the p28 requires 4 plugs and 4gen harness only has 3.

I am new to the group but I have seen an 91 EX with a PS9 ECU. I am doing the swap too so that is what I am going with.

Back