Draggin with super?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NewAgeCivicz

In the V8 funny car dragging and those long narrow dragsters (sorry not sure of their names), why do they use superchargers rather then turbos? I was told that they banned some turbo setups because it put the superchargers at a disadvantage. Is this true??

Supercharges produce more torque in general than turbos do, this is why I believe they use supercharges for the drag cars.

many mega-performance cars use Turbo, someone just linked a drag "type-r" on here that had 2 turbos and like 4000hp. All the big engine guys complain about turbo, I forget why.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jul 24 2003, 02:34 PM
many mega-performance cars use Turbo, someone just linked a drag "type-r" on here that had 2 turbos and like 4000hp. All the big engine guys complain about turbo, I forget why.

it boosts HP moreso than torque is the reason...*I think*.

For horsepower you need torque. And you get more high-end power from a turbo than a supercharger(all things being equal)

dont know if anyone said this, ijust skimmed through this, but they also use superchargers over turbos because they're more efficient and s/c dont have to spool up like t/c do.

Originally posted by standdstill@Jul 24 2003, 06:20 PM
dont know if anyone said this, ijust skimmed through this, but they also use superchargers over turbos because they're more efficient and s/c dont have to spool up like t/c do.

Not necessarily true. Centrifugal super chargers do have to spool and are pretty mcuthe compresser side of a turbo without the exhaust side. Roots type blowers(sc), don't have to spool really and the power is straight there and are yes more effecient in some ways but also do rob power because of blower belts.

at 7000 hp and a 5 sec quater there is no timer for a turbo to spool and the roots blowers offer more power of the launch which is what wins funny car and top fuel races

but they all hate turbo because it would change the game. Those engines put out a massive amount of air just at idle, so I'm sure they could work something out with sequential turbos or something.

Back