Drifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

It seems to me that the new thing is drifting.. I was just curious how old it was.. I think it was about the early 90s, about the time drag racing imports were starting here, right? Anyway, i just wanted to know how many people are into it, either recently or followed it way back.. First time i saw it was around 99.. saw a crazy ass vid of people drifting in the mountains and streets of Japan.. i was hooked.. i personally cant do any of that stuff, and way too scared to do any of it.. unless its in a BIG empty parking lot.. one more thing, *on hands and knees* DONT RICE THIS OUT PEOPLE~!

drifting has been around for some time in the underground of japan and china, but it hasnt really gone main stream till a few well known companies started to make cars that specialized in drifting. i dont know how, but i think it looks sweet, wouldnt mind trying it, but only if the car wasnt mine;)

also, at the last drags here in Town there was a drift spec 90 Supra, with the 99 supra TT engine, so much camber and everything, he was all over the track and only ran a 15.15, but everyone that knew him said he went to drift events.

definately... drift cars are WAY different from drag cars.. everything is different from the suspension to power.. but some drift cars can put some decent times.. low 11s.. i hope it doesnt go mainstream and become the next, "JDM."

Endless: Too late.

Drifting is a sport created 7 years ago in Japan. I happen to disagree with Drift as a racing technique - but I see it has a real sport none the less.

In drifting the object of the game is not to win. It's like hitting the half-pipe with a car. It's based on style and finesse. The greatest drifters of all time are some of the coolest people I have met.

I must encourage you all to visit DOW on September 4th to watch the Signal guys and meet up with Airjockie. The excitement is fast paced, and you get to watch the NJ natives whip some professional japanese aSs.

The action is non-stop, and you don't want to even walk away for food because you may miss something. The sport is unlike any other driving sport - as there is no competition or heavy competitive and nasty feelings.

It takes on a different facet when you actually try it. Go ahead, take your front wheel drive out there and give it a shot. After you do, when you see the guys going around the corners with their hands out the window you'll get more excited than anyone probably should about a guy sliding around with his hand out the window.

Drifting car setups aren't that great for road. But then again race cars aren't brought out on the road either.

-> Steve

I think that drifting can be a pretty good and effective racing technique depending on the race and the conditions....
it is my understanding though that the point of drifting is to keep your speed up when going through corners and thus increasing your exit speeds, unlike grip racing where you have to drop your speed going into corners in order to keep your tires "gripping" the whole way

I agree though... the first time I saw a drift video and guys were sticking their hands and feet out of windows and stuff I was kind of thinking "this is just another stupid waste of tires" but the more I watch it and learn about it the more I realize how difficult it is etc. etc.

And as for the RICE...I really haven't seen any real rice at any of the Drifting event's...in fact, they kinda don't like it either. At one of the comps, the prize was one of those fiberglass triple-decker F&F wings...and the winner threw it on the ground, and proceded to jump on it till it was in many small peices......

but.....all I can say it....Nascar better watch out if this does go mainstream.....I would enjoy watching any small drifting event over any large Nascar race....

How to get into drifting....if your in Cali or the NE, then your in luck....just go to one of the events, and join in.....If your out in BFE......then good luck finding an event...but on the otherhand...out in BFE...there is more places to just go out and practice.....

And you really don't have to set up the car to the extreme's....I'm drifting a stock 260Z that has no power or LSD, or even decent tires...and I am having the blast of a lifetime.

yeah the D1 Gran Prix are fucking tight.. i personally havent been to any events cuz i cant afford to drive 8 hrs to LA.. college kid on a budget..haha.. btw, where can i find some free clips of Option2 videos and stuff like that.. ive been searching and have no luck..oh yeah, and i kno what drifting is and how it is and stuff like that :p.. i just wanted to see how many people here are into it for the, 'right' reasons.. too bad i wasnt really good at driving or id sell my integra and get a Haichi roku in a heartbeat and spend some time on 299 West.. LOTS AND LOTS of 25mph turns that end up in the revene.. = )

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole drifting scene, but no rice?

Just take a glance at the signal twin silvias. Shopcart wing and stickers galore! :)

But... they are both beasts. :worthy:

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Sep 30 2003, 12:29 PM
drifting has been around for some time in the underground of japan and china

I dunno about China.. most of 'em are too poor to afford such an expensive hobby.

:werd: i was there this summer, they have no idea about racing whatsoever, only rice. as far as i see they just now have *some* decent sports cars

yeah but the drifter X & XL don't run 1.6 liter sohcs with intake and exhaust and rev at every fucker on the road for a run.

A lot of drift cars have a good amount of power usually in the 300+ range for 240s and even more for skylines, and a lot less for the AE86.

Whether you guys consider it a fad or not I love to have fun drifting, it is a totally different scene than draggin, different people, more fun, more driver skill and you don't have to dump tons of tons of money into it to have fun.

Bandwagon hardly, what about racing honda's if that isn't the biggest bandwagon I don't know what is honestly. But all in all it is about what you want to do with your car and what others think shouldn't matter, just have fun guys..

thats not the problem though, its just idiots will do to drifting what they did to drag racing.
example: kids at my school think doing a burnout at a stopsign is drifting (granted though that they're dumber than most people)
eventually it'll become mainstream too...and every idiot in their riced civic'll start e-braking around turns and a lot of people will get hurt, thats the main fear i think

tru, and totally understand that. Eventually shit will settle down and the true enthusiasts will be left. Let them do whatever, if they think it's drifting I am not surprised since many fuckasses try to race during rushhour traffic.

Idiots will be idiots, stay true to the game mang..

I have an FF, and since I decided to not mod and work on cars again until I graduated college - I would drift it and yes you can and no it's not as fun and proper as a rwd/awd car. I believe the most recent drift event a FF EJ coupe won 2nd place, but RWD is much much more fun, Ebrake drift isn't fun at all.

I just enjoy it, and I could careless what others think of the sport. but yeah I agree with you.

well...FF can *somewhat* drift, and i stress the somewhat..
the whole point of a true drift is to maintain speed and maintain a high exit speed, but with the ebrake drifts the rear drags continuously so there is no real propulsion, so yeah its not technically drifting but i've seen some really well executed FF slides.

werd about the idiots, im waiting to get a 240 or perhaps an impreza now, but i dont see myself messing with it much since i'll probably be driving it for a while...that and im too poor to fix my car in case i break anything :D

Originally posted by silver@Sep 30 2003, 09:02 PM
thats not the problem though, its just idiots will do to drifting what they did to drag racing.
example: kids at my school think doing a burnout at a stopsign is drifting (granted though that they're dumber than most people)
eventually it'll become mainstream too...and every idiot in their riced civic'll start e-braking around turns and a lot of people will get hurt, thats the main fear i think

That's why we go to the road course and play, where the price of entry keeps the idiots and riec boys out.

i can drift. meaning i have the ability to, but not the skill yet. no good open tracks/parking lots to test the car out on yet. but it's something i would love to master. it's probably why i like auto-x more than drag racing. it's driver skill, and not so much the car.

i swaer to christ, if i see one more post about front wheel drive drifting, im going to call steve's dad and have him turn off the fucking internet

Might as well call him....I'm drifting the rex this weekend down in NJ, along with the Z...hehe

Back