Drifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I mean I could careless what others think, and yes you can drift anyting, any car, whatever way. Also just wanted to add that drifting has been around for more than 50 years or so. The Drift king was using the method way back when and it was thought that his technique wasn't the best way around a turn, but he started wining races and the method became more popular. It is basically taking an out of control situation of a car and keeping it in control.

I do it because I enjoy gaining more skill as a driver, and the car is centered around driver skill, not necessarily hp. It is all about fun and I it will stay fun for me no matter what, no matter if I have friends to do it with or doing it alone.

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 30 2003, 10:39 PM-->
@Sep 30 2003, 09:02 PM
thats not the problem though, its just idiots will do to drifting what they did to drag racing.
example: kids at my school think doing a burnout at a stopsign is drifting (granted though that they're dumber than most people)
eventually it'll become mainstream too...and every idiot in their riced civic'll start e-braking around turns and a lot of people will get hurt, thats the main fear i think

That's why we go to the road course and play, where the price of entry keeps the idiots and riec boys out.

:werd:
it also keeps me from buying more parts because driving>having more modified car.

I guess i dont know how big the drifting scene is... shit i live in michigan. but i think it is bad ass to watch.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 30 2003, 07:18 PM
Drifting is a sport created 7 years ago in Japan.

That's like saying the Lakers invented basketball, give me a break.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Oct 1 2003, 10:44 AM-->
@Sep 30 2003, 07:18 PM
Drifting is a sport created 7 years ago in Japan.

That's like saying the Lakers invented basketball, give me a break.

i've talked to quite a few Japanese guys and they said it started around the early 90s, which i estimated about.. they were bored, didnt have much money to modify cars, and didnt like straight lines i guess.. haha.. anyway, they said it started in the BIG empty parking lots where they PRACTICED for awhile and got the hung of it.. then they started doing the downhills and uphills because Japan has a shit load of twisty roads and because its relatively remote... they did it for a while and people started to catch on and now you can drift at curcuits and you get the D1 Grand Prix. :)

a couple drift champions in japan have been competing in drifting for like 10 years. i think drifting will die a quick death here in the US though. ive seen it first hand and once the novelty wears off, it gets old real fast.

Originally posted by silver@Sep 30 2003, 09:25 PM
really well executed FF slides.

never said a FF could really "drift" persay

id love to go to a track but the only track around here is gateway speedway

well, who knows...I know it's been arond way longer than 10 years for fact. Its fun and that is all that matters to me.

to defend the drift in two ways:

Strategic, racing drift (With an intention to go fast)

I've only done, or needed to do it, a handful of times. It's something we all should know in case you run into a situation like mine.

While racing a friend (both of us with great handling cars) I noticed his car was really taking me in the straights. (Mazda 626) So I used my mastery of corners and balance in the CRX to gain an advantage - The result - I was 6 or so car lengths in front of him by the time the passing zone came up.

Now visualise the situation. While entering a 90 degree corner (To go across a dam) we were going full steam. He backed off, while I kept the power on. This is where I performed the performance FF drift:

I sharply nudged the wheel to the right, (for a left hand turn) to get the weight off the outside suspension, then to the Left, to get all the weight on the outside wheels. The skid started. I gently allowed the skid to take over, letting the skid do the braking. When I came upon the turn (Or just before it) I applied throttle to make my side-ways skid turn into a smoking, squeeling left hand turn. I exited the drift and continued on my way. No brakes. I gained the necessary advantage to hold my own across the dam, and onto the straight that followed.

Now in Dori (D1, Gymkhana, Dorifto) The intent is not to go through the course faster, it's to make the car perform the corner while at the very edge of the car's grip. So in this case, with the same FF car (The CRX) I'm not concerned about making a corner (I have this love/hate with pylons) but I'm concerned about keeping the car sideways while staying relatively true to the radius of the turn. With enough power, and again the suspension inertia shift, I can do it fair and square.

No e-brake required.

-> Steve

No, that was more fun. Your ass-end is just kinda along for the ride. The front pulls so damned hard that the back will just hang on and stay attached.

-> Steve

drifting has been around ever since there wre RWD cars with power, people just didn't know they were drifting.

And now-a-days, drifting is just some novelty form of driving. "real" drifting is from actually racing, and refers to having the slip angle of all 4 tires the same. Not seeing who has the longest bling slide.

mad fun though :)

Back