Drilling hole inbetween cylinders

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I saw an article in SCC awhile back about Suzuki's GSXR750 or GSXR600. It was talking about the passageways in between the cylinders that are suppose to relieve internal pumping pressure losses. If we were to do this to our honda engines, would it be noticeable? Or would a crankcase ventilation system be better?

Quoted post[/post]]
I saw an article in SCC awhile back about Suzuki's GSXR750 or GSXR600. It was talking about the passageways in between the cylinders that are suppose to relieve internal pumping pressure losses. If we were to do this to our honda engines, would it be noticeable? Or would a crankcase ventilation system be better?
There is already a crankcase ventilation system on hondas. Drilling holes between the cylinders would be all well and good, except that the piston makes use of nearly the entire cylinder. you don't want your rings hitting some hole in the cyinder wall. A cool idea would be to chamfer, or round out the edges at the bottoms of the cylinders, so that air would be able to make a smooth transition between cylinders rather than go around the sharp corner. But we are talking a lot of work, maybe a couple grande in cnc milling for maybe 1 hp.

You couldn't just drill holes in the cylinder walls anyway, they would develop cracks. And a couple thousand for rounding out the bottom of the cylinder?? Thats crazy, grind it and polish it your damned self if you want to go that route. Its very popular in the chevy world to go inside the block and take off all of the sharp edges. It actually adds strength and increases durablility of the block.

Quoted post[/post]]
You couldn't just drill holes in the cylinder walls anyway, they would develop cracks. And a couple thousand for rounding out the bottom of the cylinder?? Thats crazy, grind it and polish it your damned self if you want to go that route. Its very popular in the chevy world to go inside the block and take off all of the sharp edges. It actually adds strength and increases durablility of the block.

well, go ahead and grind it down yourself, sounds like a very precise art. I see your reasoning behind not drilling holes, but obviously factories have already done it. If you do it right, you won't have problems with cracks. The cylinder wall below the rings would not be considered a high stress area. Plus, circular ports have no stress concentrations, so the threat of cracking would be minimal. I find it funny that you put down precise cnc milling, suggest grinding it with a dremal tool or something, yet say that drilling precise holes will develop cracks. Your thoughts seem mixed. Also, to say it adds strength and increases durability seems very oldone-ish. Provide some proof, I'm curious. Not saying your wrong, but you leave me with mixed thoughts to your reply.

well, go ahead and grind it down yourself, sounds like a very precise art. I see your reasoning behind not drilling holes, but obviously factories have already done it. If you do it right, you won't have problems with cracks. The cylinder wall below the rings would not be considered a high stress area. Plus, circular ports have no stress concentrations, so the threat of cracking would be minimal. I find it funny that you put down precise cnc milling, suggest grinding it with a dremal tool or something, yet say that drilling precise holes will develop cracks. Your thoughts seem mixed. Also, to say it adds strength and increases durability seems very oldone-ish. Provide some proof, I'm curious. Not saying your wrong, but you leave me with mixed thoughts to your reply.

My thoughts are NOT mixed... Here we go..

I didn't put down "precise CNC milling"... I put down the price. If you have 2k to blow on some entirely experimental milling, more power to ya.

And the holes that crack are the ones that are drilled. Just like "drilled" rotors. The cheap ones have the holes drilled into them, and after time they crack between the holes. The more expensive rotors have the holes cast into them when they are made, and do not crack.

And proof for the added strength and durability of smoothing out a Chevrolet block: Do a google search for "block preparation"

This is done before you build a motor or send it off for machine work. You grind down and polish all the sharp edges in the block to make them smooth. This helps prevent the block from developing stress cracks. Also, the older chevy/ford/dodge Iron blocks were sand cast, and have alot of rough edges inside that impede oil flow. In a normal motor, it doesn't matter. In a race motor, it could be the difference between life and death. ALL of the bigger race motors builders swear by these techniques.

You did not just compare brake rotors to cylinder walls, lol. Lets see, lets compare a rotor with millions of drilled holes in them that are going to be heat and compression cycled hundreds of thousands of times, to a few holes at the bottom of a cylinder block, that will see NO action if anything more than warmup of the car when it is started in the morning. I am not saying it is the best idea, but there is not any evidence for or against it, since I've never seen that done on a honda block. And kevin was talking about pumping losses coming from the air in the crankcase, not any way related to the oil passages. of course you would want to clean up any casting defects in a race motor, I don't think we are talk about the same things.

ps, I hope you don't think I am attacking you, I enjoy a good conversation between intelligent people. Not like some other thread on here talking about how fpr's and afc hacks are better than hondata and crome and whatnot. I am glad there are still intelligent actively thinking people on this board.

Quoted post[/post]]
ps, I hope you don't think I am attacking you, I enjoy a good conversation between intelligent people. Not like some other thread on here talking about how fpr's and afc hacks are better than hondata and crome and whatnot. I am glad there are still intelligent actively thinking people on this board.
:thumbsup: .

as for cleaning up sharp edges inside the block, it's been mentioned in a couple of larry @ endyn's (theoldone.com) articles. he said it reduces stress as stated before. just thought it was somewhat related.

Yes, a good idea, I'm sure it's been done before. Just requires a bit of research for us that have never done anything like that before.

Back