Drive axles not fitting....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XenocideZero

I just swapped a B18C1 into my 95 Del Sol. The overall swap went off rather well, but now that I'm almost done, I've run into a problem.

As far as I know drive axles simply slip back into the transmission or intermediate shaft. Now the problem is that mine don't. I've replaced the clip with a new one, but it still doesn't slide in. It goes in maybe a 1/4 of the way, just enough to get the hub back on but not enough to spin with the transmission.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

~XenocideZero

are you putting them in the right way???
and another thing is the axles have notches on the end,kinda like a "key" try seeing if the notches on the axles line up with the notches inside the tranny

I had that same problem, you just gotta work them in. I went at mine with a rubber mallet, you may not want to do that,

i was putting in mine and i took a peice of wood(firewood)and butted it up against the hub after putting the axles in it and hit it with a hammer a couple of times and they went in just fine.

I guess I'll have to try the hammer thing in the morning because I don't have anything better to try. Thanks for all of you help.

~XenocideZero

take the clamp off of the boot and see if the the bearing race has slipped down the splines. There is usually a snap-ring on it before the assembly will come off and it usually has to be banged off with a brass hammer, or pressed off. Same goes when putting it back together. Make sure the outer boot and assembly rotates without hesitation. If it does not, replace the axle as a whole unit.

Still not in.....

Well I tried everything that was suggested and it's still not in. I even bought a new drive axle and it doesn't go in either. I'm seriously out of ideas. Someone please help.Any advice will be much appreciated.

~XenocideZero

Yah, a block of wood and a five pound sledge should be enough. The only other thing I can think is that there are burrs on the int. shaft splines that were created when someone pryed the old axle off before pulling the motor.

Just the passenger side one.

And if I try the wood a sledge idea again how hard should I be hitting it? I'd really hate to have to buy another one.

~XenocideZero

You may have to really smash it. If it's a decent axle then it should hold up to being hammered. Only a crap axle would fall apart.

Back