Drive shaft installation trick

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

autox19

Trying to get the driveshaft into the midshaft. I get the splines lines up and it goes in but doesnt look like all the way.
20150808_143955.jpg 20150808_143943.jpg
Help!

Odie
b16 fiat x19

If the spline count is good, try a pry bar to leverage it in. Be careful of the rubber boot.

Thanks! I think I need to get a hold of the place that built the shafts (driveline shop. Usually very good). I dont see how it can go any further into the mid shaft as the splines are almost to the edge. Here are pics of the shafts. The work order said full spline for midshaft.... not seeing full spline
20150808_192549.jpg

I had a similar issue with my swap... it took a lot of jiggling for it to finally get to seat all the way in. Chris rock it in.

Ok, getting closer. found from other pics online, that axle doesnt go tight against the intermediate shaft. but now I am stuck on the passenger side. same issue of it not going all the way in. I even tried taking the ring off just to see if it would go all the way in without it, and it goes in the same distance. I need some help here. I need someone with a Y1 cable trans, that happens to have the passenger shaft out do some measurements for me. 4 to be exact. I want to see if the driveshaft shop has the right end on it. I have marked the 4 places I need measurements on

shaft.jpg

shaft2a.jpg

thanks! you guys have been very helpful!

Odie
B16 Fiat X19

Last edited:
Measurement #2 is where it seats against the trans or midshaft.

are those supposed to be 90-93 Integra axles? - they don't look like any I have ever seen - the ones I have seen look like the picture I posted - IIRC the dimension from the end to the part that fits in the seal is 2 1/8" - should look like picture below when in the intermediate shaft

Attachments

• 100_0257.jpg
    100_0257.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Perfect carfrog, so Measurement 1 does not go against the tranny. the shafts were built by the driveshaft shop. y1 tranny to fiat x19 outer.

Odie

We have a winner! finally got the RIGHT sized. now I think I need to adjust the drive train height. suspension unloaded seems to be binding up a little, hub becomes harder to rotate. the Axle is darn near level when loaded.
sucess.jpg

thanks Everyone here for their help!

Odie
B16 Fiat X19

Level (or near level) with suspension load is good. My Kswap has axles slightly pointing up to the hubs because I'm too low.

Back