Drive shaft installation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KamCo

I am re-installing the drive shafts on a 89 civic, and I'm having trouble getting them in place. My Honda manual says that the spring clips on the end of the drive shaft be replaced every time they come off. Is it important to always have a new clip? Thanks

You can re-use them provided they still have tension to them to hold it in place. The clips won't be the issue for lining them up... the splines/teeth are. Make sure you got the right spline axels. 4th gen civics came with different spline counts on different models.

Thanks. There should be no problem with the splines, since the drive shafts I am installing came from the same engine/transmission I am installing. To install, how much force can I use without damaging anything?

it shouldn't need anything beyond your own arm strength to muscle in. Just kinda shake it as you turn and push and it should just slide right in once it's lined up.

I use a hammer+1/2" extension when needed ;)

It's easier to push by hand if the car is on a lift and you can use your weight, but if you're on your back then tapping it with a hammer would be easier. Be careful not to rip the boot.

More drive shaft problems

Last night I was installing the drive axle on the driver's side. I put the axle in, then pulled on it to make sure it was in properly. The axle popped back out, and when it did, I noticed a small spring just laying there, inside the transmission opening where the axle goes. This spring is round, kind of like a rubber band and is approx 1.5" in diameter. A picture is attached. It may be from the axle seal. If so, do I have to remove the transmission to replace this seal?

Yeah that is from the axle seal... You can use a screw driver to pry out the axle seal.. But I would suggest getting a new one for both sides..

Back