Driving for economy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I've been shifting at 2000-2500rpms to keep noise down(but like 25%-50% throttle). Is shifting this low hurting or helping fuel economy?

good question.. i have been wondering the same thing.. my gas seems to disappear rather quickly and i drive the speed limit..

I was also wondering the same thing. Moreso whether riding 4th or 5th around town is better. I use less throttle in 4th, but spin more RPMs.

Does anybody know of a fuel flow gauge that can be hooked up, it would be the easiest way to tell if you are actually using more/less fuel.

EDIT- K2e2vin, just noticed your from Raleigh as well, are you from here?

Well...thing about it from a completely scientific standpoint. The injector is told how long to fire based on 2 things: RPM and Load. For anyone that's tuned, you'll know this because its how fuel maps are set up.

So, to get optimum gas mileage, you'll want to use as little throttle as possible and keep your RPM's to a min.

Since I drive rarely, I'm on the throttle hard all the time up into the high RPM's and don't give a shit I only get 25mpg. (lol, I complain about getting 25 from a modified car).

It's kinda weird but when i was driving at 85mph (almost 5k rpm) i got 45-50mpg, and at 70 (4.5k rpm) i got 35-40mpg.

Quoted post[/post]]
Does anybody know of a fuel flow gauge that can be hooked up, it would be the easiest way to tell if you are actually using more/less fuel.

EDIT- K2e2vin, just noticed your from Raleigh as well, are you from here?

I'm wondering the same thing; my cousins BMW has that "economy" gauge(e36 and e46 generation 325i), and my mom's Chrysler has a digital one.

Yea, I'm from Raleigh, born and raised. I live in the southeastern area of Raleigh.

Quoted post[/post]]
It's kinda weird but when i was driving at 85mph (almost 5k rpm) i got 45-50mpg, and at 70 (4.5k rpm) i got 35-40mpg.

Well, think about it this way. Instead of putting fuel into a motor think of it as painting a line on the road. If your spraying a very small line going 80 mph that line is going to be long as all getout. A very slightly small line going 10mph slower is not going to be as long (miles per gallon of paint).

Usually though gas mileage does go way down as you get faster due to drag and whatnot, so that is an interesting result.

As to K2e2vin, I moved here about 15 years ago, used to live in NE raleigh now I am out in Cary near the fairgrounds. Where did you go to high school?

Quoted post[/post]]

Your engine might be operating in a more efficient state at the higher engine speed, and at a time when the drag force difference between the two speeds isn't that great. As you reach your torque peak, your engine is making more torque with less fuel (per lb/ft), so it's actually possible to be more efficient at higher speeds. It's weird but true.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Your engine might be operating in a more efficient state at the higher engine speed, and at a time when the drag force difference between the two speeds isn't that great. As you reach your torque peak, your engine is making more torque with less fuel (per lb/ft), so it's actually possible to be more efficient at higher speeds. It's weird but true.
This is exactly what i thought Cal, it even sounds better the closer i get to 4900-5100 rpms, the engine gets more of a 'solid' breathing sound and the gas mileage is like wh0a.
I usually get around 30-35 in the city 35+ on the freeway.. slightly higher on acetone.
The 48s-50mpgs were with a full car+passenger and no Acetone, i can't complain for b16 gearing.
My buddy's coupe went from 210mpTank to 330mpTank on 2 ounces of Acetone in 10 gallons of gas .. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
As to K2e2vin, I moved here about 15 years ago, used to live in NE raleigh now I am out in Cary near the fairgrounds. Where did you go to high school?

I went to Enloe HS. I used to work at the CookOut that's around that fairground(Western Blvd, near NCSU campus).

Alright, so it's best to cruise at around where torque starts peaking out? What about shift points for city driving? And what's the best way to deal with consecutive hills?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Acetone? Hmm.
Read @
http://SmartGas.net

I didn't believe it either so we tried it.
the coupe is a miracle story, we all noticed better gas mileage but 210 to 330 is not what we expected either.
4/4 cars now are running better :)

I <3 Chevron :ph34r:

Time to read... 210 to 330 really does sound WAY too good to be true.

Quoted post[/post]]
Clayton needs to build me one of those DPFI D15B2 wonders.

60mpg :ph34r:

Huh? What's this? More info!

I read Acetone will clean the combustion chambers, we just guessed they were really dirty or somethin.
My car went from about 120 to 150 for 4 gallons in city driving.
60mpg sounds better though... :huh:

the acetone experiment in the mirage was a success, but given the fact the motor is ready to shit, i got a ~40 mile increase.

Less throttle = less fuel used.

I take my cars to 3500 or 4000 every shift, but it takes me time to get there. I don' tgive it a lot of gas.

Well that was certainly interesting...has anybody used this "ScanGauge" that he was talking about ...or anything like it? I think I might want to try this.

It's just an OBD2 scan tool. The Nissan guys like to use one plugged into their "consult" ports. Get a Honda OBD2 scan tool and you'll be able to do the same thing.

Back