Driving for economy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The easiest way to find the gas milage is to make sure the odometer is click, the proper size stock tires are on the car, and go thru 3 tanks of gas.

Step one. Fill the tank, then drive reasonable, shifting early, use as less throttle as you can, and if your car normally gets about 300 miles to a tank, the when it rolls around to 300...fill the tank again and check the numbers on the odometer. Devide the miles driven by gallons used to fill the tank.

Step two..same as above...but drive normal.

Step three...same as above...but drive like a maniac...all balls out, take no prisoners....

then jot down all the gallons and miles driven, and chart it.

for the best fuel economy...fill the tires to the max air pressures, and you'll also find out that a properly inflated tire will also have better grip....and try to be a little daring...and go 5 psi over max press. :)

OMG...a tech post :blink:

Quoted post[/post]]
It's just an OBD2 scan tool. The Nissan guys like to use one plugged into their "consult" ports. Get a Honda OBD2 scan tool and you'll be able to do the same thing.

tell me more about the consult port, and i thought it was only nissan only?

Well my car is OBD1 so I guess im screwed. Oh well. I'll just keep writing down the numbers in my note book and doing the math. Sucks cause my other car is a 87 thunderbird and it has a little display that shows your estimated mpg. Not sure how accurate it is though.

any ECU is capable of displaying average and real-time MPG. It's a vacuum sensor that is plugged into the odometer logic.

It was a novelty in the late 80s. Lots of cars had them. Now adays, outside of the hybrids, I saw one in the new Mustang, the Caddies and the high end lincolns.

Of course my buddy's Navigator has one... I don't know why they bothered making it a 00 display, the first one is always "1". (it ranges from 10 mpg to 19)

just to recap this thread.

i got ~50-70 more miles using the acetone even with no o2 sensor.

thats a total mileage of ~300-325. mind you i have an 11g tank.

Hmm. Someone local here in Lufkin uses acetone on his 350Z and claims well over 30mpg on the highway.

Quoted post[/post]]
Hmm. Someone local here in Lufkin uses acetone on his 350Z and claims well over 30mpg on the highway.

On my trip to the bay area today, I got 305 miles out of 10.1 gallons using acetone. Keep in mind my afrs at cruise are around 13-13.6, with 11.5:1 compression. Before I richened up the mixture, I was running close to 330-350 miles per tank in my integra. Not bad.

alot of getting gas millage has to do with how hard you put your foot down. In the upper penninsula of Michigan where the speed limits are 55mph everywhere, I go 60 (so probally closer to 55mph since honda's speedo's are typically off by 5ish mph) with cuise control. In doing so, I have managed to get an astounding 39.1 MPG. This is on my 92 civic SI with a GSR swap, no ac, no ps. On the freeways where the speed limit is 70 and I do about 80ish, I am lucky to get 32ish MPG. Still good but its about 20ish% loss in gas millage.

Other things that REALLY effect gas milage is if you have a roof rack on your car. With my bike on the roof, I am lucky to get 29ish. Slippery car = good gas millage

since my o2 sensor has not been replaced in a year (and i shit you not that i get much better performance with it just dead) i wonder if my gas mileage would go up if i replaced it. dont know. dont care :wink:

I can get over 30mpg in my 350Z on the highway. 32-33MPG isnt uncommon for me.

As you stated before, it's all about how efficient an engine works at what RPM.

I find that my old 98 Civic would get better mpg when shifted at a higher RPM.
I also found that my 350Z tends to get better MPG when shifted at a higher RPM VS my TL.

I can also get a better MPG in my 350Z at higher speeds VS my old civic after 65mph my old civic would drop MPG like crazy, WAY MORE SO if I had the A/C on.

the 350Z on the other hand, 75-85mph + A/C = peachy keen MPG =)

Same here. I came back from Ft Worth on Friday at pretty high speeds, and I was still pushing 31mpg with the AC on.

Rather than type a whole load of stuff, I'll just point you to a few sites:

GasSavers.Org Homepage - A good place for serious discussion of fuel economy
Fuel saving - a professional engineer's view - Acetone is BS, this guy tells you why
I would take the time to read your article if I hadn't PERSONALLY seen Acetone work in several cars.
:rolleyes:

I did check out your site though... lol
I just don't see the LED domelight being the most cost efficient way to conserve energy.

Last edited:
La la la, need to edit my page to make it more clear that by itself it's worthless, :p

Last edited:
Back