Driving tecniques

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NeoPheonix

I found this site Turnfast a while back but i can't find many like this one... this is the most complete i found till now... I learned here how to use the Heel-toe tecnique (i still suck doing it... :p).

Do you know any other sites with this kind of info?

I read the heel-toe technique. How can you match the revs with the clutch pressed in? Or at least that's what I got out of it. Doesn't the clutch have to be engaged and the gear in neutral to match revs for a downshift?

that would be for a "true" double clutch... (not needed on our cars)
matching revs is simply to make for a non-jaring downshift

look at it like this:

you are on a road course going through a corner at about 70mph... you are at or near the traction limits of your car.... now if you were to just do a conventional downshift the car would jar and you will lose traction most likely going into a spin and possibly fucking up something BIG TIME... so you match revs to make the downshift smooth.... the car holds traction and you are now at your powerband to pull out of the corner with some authority :)

oh yeah and turnfast.com is the shit

another good source of info is the book "Going Faster Mastering the Art of Race Driving".... its put out by the Skip Barber racing school .... can be found at most book stores

very good information in there :thumbsup:

you are on a road course going through a corner at about 70mph... you are at or near the traction limits of your car.... now if you were to just do a conventional downshift the car would jar and you will lose traction most likely going into a spin and possibly fucking up something BIG TIME... so you match revs to make the downshift smooth.... the car holds traction and you are now at your powerband to pull out of the corner with some authority

I was aware of this already. I'm gonna have to hit a roadcourse some day. I've only ever dragraced.

I hate heel toe, I have big feet or something, I can't seem to get it smooth.

Hey man, nice find. It helps me in school too, because I'm doing a demonstrative speech on driving techniques, and I had been looking around for stuff. :ph34r:

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 12 2004, 09:21 AM
I hate heel toe, I have big feet or something, I can't seem to get it smooth.

Its just practice practice practice. I have size 15 feet and can do it no problem. Just practice it and do it on every downshift, you will get it im sure. Also, don't try to use your actual heel, you should be more braking with the ball of your foot and bliping the throttle with the outside edge and make sure you arent really close to other cars as your foot may tend to slip off the brake until you master it. Hope that helps!

Back