driving with a blown hg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

robus

I'm getting for cheap a ZC with a blown headgasket (blew due to high heat in the summer, the car's stock).

Question is, can I drive it as it is for 350 miles (from where it is now to my place)? I haven't seen the car yet, I'm just planning to go, tighten the head bolts as hard as I can, get a tank ow water and drive off... stupid?

I just need the car for spare parts btw.

it MIGHT make it

hope you have AAA though

if you have a friend with a truck that has a tow hitch id just go to Uhall and rent a 2 wheel tow dolly

Personally i wouldnt drive it. The rammification of oil in the coolant system and vis versa are just too great if i want to keep the motor.

it might make it, but you'll do more damage then good. FWIW, you'd be better trying to fit in in your backseat.

I vote ~110 miles, depending on conditions of course.
I wouldn't try it tho.
We got a blown HG LS, the leak made the water pump housing rust,drove it 4 miles, water pump pulley fell off, broke timing belt, we laughed.
+Tow

Long story short, Auction cars are neat.
I wouldn't try it, but hey that's just me.

oh i thought it was just the motor and he was trying to put it in a running car, not sure what I was thinking. :shrug2:

Defenitly tow it.

if you plan to use the motor, tow it.

if you don't care and just want body parts, drive it, but do it at night when its cooler...

tow it, even if you don't use the motor, you could sell it and pay for the towing plus have some extra cash for the project. good luck bro.

Quoted post[/post]]
tow it, even if you don't use the motor, you could sell it and pay for the towing plus have some extra cash for the project. good luck bro.

thanks a lot guys!

I was pretty much set on driving it but this unanimous agreement made me change my mind. So I will either go to a shop (a friend's friend) and change the gasket before driving it, or else take the engine off and leave the rest to rot...

glad to be of service, good luck with it, let us know how it goes, oh and post some pics of this project.

eek don't do that. I ran my 91 Prelude 2 miles with a freshly blown head gasket, and it went to shit in a flash. Didn't even make it 1 mile. Sometimes you can be lucky, sometimes the breaks in such a place that everything comes crashing down. I wouldn't bank on it, and certainly not 350 miles. That's my house in Connecticut to almost pittsburgh.

Back