Drop to low?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So I got my suspension on, Tokico Illuminas with 400/300 Eibachs sitting on Ground Control sleeves.

My question s is for those that are riding this or a remarkably similar set up, specifically the Tokicos, if you have run into any issues being this low? As far as shocks dying? I know I am not rubbing, I drove around on cobblestone for fun afterwards to check :)

Anyway here's a couple pics of how low I am at now, this is day three, so the springs have settled.

s40894b46a8765.jpg

Yes, I PSed out the sidemarker...

s40894ca4c833d.jpg

And yes, I PSed out some rust that returned...

s40894d402bf3b.jpg

Originally posted by Nopspawn@Apr 23 2004, 06:17 PM
looks really good :thumbsup:
do you know how much of a drop you dropped it by?

About 9 turns in the front, and 13 in the rear, from the highest setting.

John, they should be fine- since they're an aftermarket damper, there shouldn't be any problem- i think the big problem is that stock shocks are used to a spring with a relatively light spring rate- that coupled with the fact that stock springs are valved very mildly to provide a smooth ride is the reason they die quickly when they are asked to damper fast and hard bounces due to aftermarket springs-

Originally posted by 94civicpat@Apr 24 2004, 06:49 PM
wow that does look great, how much did it cost ya?

The shocks were 425ish shipped from Streetray (***plug for a Hondaswap sponsor***), and I got the coilovers from a member here or 200 :) But I think the going rate is 275ish-300 new.

Ok, removed dust shields, and taped o rings in place, everything is nice and secure, and best of all QUIET :)

looks are one thing- performance is another.

lay your ass down on the ground behind your car and look at your LCA's. you want them to be level with the ground, if not aiming down towards the wheel ()/ \() from the back if you are aiming up ()\ /() you're too low and you're loosing a lot of your handeling because your preload is too much and your travel is too little.

you can do the same with the front with the axels or steering rack. the front lca's aren't the best guideline, cuz they sit almost the same regardless of height- they don't really bend up as much like the rears do.

:werd:

I think he's at a good height though- maybe a little farther up would be best for handling, but it's good.

John, don't worry too much about your Illuminas- they'll handle that level of a drop just fine.

If the gallery was up, I have a couple pics. I looks to me that the LCAs are fairly straight across, maybe, depending on between what two points you draw the line, a little more towards the second illutration Brian. It does feel good, I haven't had hte oppurtunity beside a couple real fast on ramps to abuse it. Maybe I'll bring it up a hair.

Back