Droppin' The Clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

I've heard of many techniques of dropping the clutch at different rpms. I've heard of a lot of people dropping the clutch @ 6000rpm for civics. For example, the new Dodge SRT-4 Neon has peak torque of 250lb-ft @ 3000 and redlines @ 6000rpm. Would it be better to drop the clutch on this car @ 3000rpm when it reaches it's peak torque or would it be better to drop it at around 5800/6000rpm when it it closer to redline???

It's never best to DROP the clutch. The best launch comes from holding the throttle steady at the line, then release the clutch smoothly to not shock the differential, clutch, axles, and tires. While releasing smoothly, push the gas more or less to modulate out the wheel spin.

RPM ranges on the actual launch vary depending on traction and engine torque. The more torque you have, the less rpm you need to launch your best. THe more traction, the higher launch RPM you can get away with without as much wheelspin.

dumping the clutch = street "racers" who don't know any better
or guys on the track who are now in the pits with broken axels

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 26 2003, 04:57 AM
dumping the clutch = street "racers" who don't know any better
or guys on the track who are now in the pits with broken axels

:withstupid: :lol:

dumping the cluth=engine tear=tire tear=slower launches. i never burn out, it looks cool, but its bad for your car, plus it kinda pisses people off.

dumping clutch bad i never learned anyother way so explain to me how to launch i got the modulating throttle down pretty good but with slicks it was all traction for me even when i dumped the clutch at 8000 20X8 m/t slicks
1.9 60ft

yeah now i know what u mean on my 17in ricer wheels i still got a 2.360ft thats not that bad but yeah you got to modulate it

so best think to "modulate" is left foot slowly brings out clutch while giving a lot of throttle or slowly pressing down hard but not like grandma... Help me out if this makes sense :D

Back