Dropping a 92 Sedan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twelvegage

I just bought a 92 Sedan, and obviously, I'm looking to lower the mother. I'm trying to keep it around 600 bucks maybe up to 700, but the important thing is that it has to be a relatively smooth ride - I'm going to have my daughter cruising around in the back in her babyseat. What would you guys suggest? I'm open to spring/shock combos, along with coilovers, just want a nice smooth, good looking ride. I appreciate the feedback.

Edit: When I look at coilovers, it usually just says 92-95 civic, coupe/hatchback/sedans suspension is all the same? Thanks again.

How low?
How stiff? -> road course? autocross? just appearances?

An easy cheap way out is to get a set of KYB GR-2 shocks with Tein S.Tech springs. Those will give you a pretty smooth ride, just under 2 inches of drop, and not add too much stiffness. Those springs are mostly for appearances though, not for hardcore handling improvements. You can probably be done with that setup for less than $400.

If you're willing to spend upwards of $600-700, you could look to the Omnipower coilovers or the Tein Basic coilovers.

For 92-95, all hatch/sedan/coupe suspension setups are the same.

i'd say the drop shouldn't be any more than 2". I was looking at the tein springs, because i could probably afford those more easily, but i was definitely looking at the tein basics, those are probably just a tad bit out of my range. if I could find them used, then I could probably swing that.

Oh, and not really looking to race the car, but just be "peppy" on the streets. Primarily for looks though.

Tokico makes kits where you get shocks and springs together in one box. You could order their basic kit...lowers about an inch and a half, for $300 - $400. That's what I'm using on my Integra and I'm pretty satisfied with them for daily use.

Yep, no reason to buy full on $1000 coilovers unless you race or like unnecessary bling.

Thanks for all the advice guys, what I'm looking at now is between the Tein S-tech springs combined with probably Tokico shocks, or the Tokico shock/spring combo, any advice on which is a smoother ride? I was thinking possibly the all Tokico setup since it was made to go together, but if the tein's are just as smooth, while dropping it another half inch, then I'll go that route. Just want something nice and smooth. Thanks again fellas.

I'd probably just get the Tokico package, since (like you said) they're made to work together. I guess I am partial since I own them though...

buy the tein spring and use it with any decent quality shock and you'll have near stock ride quality. far less bouncy than an equally priced coilover sleeve setup. throw front and rear strut tower braces in it, and itll handle like its on rails. lower tie bars help a massive amount as well. if you searched, you could probably slap it all together for 600 or so and your car will handle like a porsche

and it was a figure of speech or example by comparrison mainly. but yes, ridden in. the little boxster roadsters are slow. straight up. they dont even handle like that believe it or not-complete yuppie mobile. the gt3 on the other hand is a fucking rocket and handles like youre on a goddamn rollercoaster or something.

what about em? they were the super cheap ultra lame boxster of the 80s. the majority we got were n/a automatics and super slow, too. not quite sure i follow

The 944 is one of the best handling cheap chassis's available on the market. There's a reason they dominate a lot of the club racing scenes. Granted the NA's are slow, but the turbo models with 5-speeds are quick nimble cars.

Back