Dropping D15 into D16 shell - mounts don't match

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bagpiper22

We have a 95 Civic LX sedan, made in Japan, which was wrecked. We pulled the D15B7 engine and dropped it into a 95 Civic DX Coupe shell, made in USA. We're told the shell had a D16 in it before. Everything we've seen says the engine should fit no problem. However, we have the driver side and passenger side motor mounts connected, and the engine is sitting at an angle (higher on passenger side). NOTE: we do not yet have the engine mount in the rear of the engine connected. The passenger engine mount bracket (not sure of correct term - the bracket welded to the chassis) seems to be the issue. On the Japanese LX sedan it pointed straight out from the body, horizontal to the ground. On the US DX Coupe, it angles upward. Please see photos:

2011-09-13_09-57-37_312.jpg

This is the LX engine bracket, which is basically horizontal to the ground.

2011-09-13_09-58-10_920.jpg

This is the DX engine bracket, angled upwards.

2011-09-13_09-59-43_722.jpg

This is how my engine is sitting.

So, any ideas? Is my issue the Japanese-to-American body? Since the brackets are welded, and I can afford neither a new engine nor a new shell, what options do I have? Are there engine mounts that would allow the passenger side of the engine to sit lower?

This is my first post, but I have learned a lot about Honda engines from this site, so I am hoping your group expertise can lend us a hand. Thank you.

its because one car was an auto from the factory and the other was a 5-speed. i could be wrong but i think the only way to correct it is to cut the tranny mount from the body and weld in the one from the 5-speed. the "horizontal" one

Thank you for the quick responses and great advice. A conversion mount looks like it will do the trick.
We're moving the manual trans over to the DX coupe as well. Any other issues I should expect?
Thanks again.

Back