DROPZONE Shocks/Struts/Coilovers any good?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I buy these KYB AGX and H&R springs. What do I have to use/do to make them work? I know Top Mount..Is dust cover recommanded? What about the bushing that sits on the strut?

i think they come with the dust covers
and the foam bushing you can re use or get a new one for like $5 or some shit

Seems everyone is throwing me towards brand names. What's good with my budget? Remember I'm just going for looks, not performance wise. What's the bad with DropZones that I should at least know?

Yes, but lowering your car is going to effect performance either way, so why wouldn't you want to use quality components? Even if you are just doing it for looks, why would you want shoddy, cheap parts on your ride?

those arent bad.. but not meant for a daily driver.. if you're just wanting to dump the car and dont really care how the car rides, then that's what you'd want.. if you'd like a lower stance with a reasonable ride still, you'll want a sport spring/shock combo

to give you an example of what H&R sports will lower you.. this is a coupe.. but its the same drop

perfect drop IMO

IM000353.jpg

this is stock

IM000125.jpg

I've got Tokico HP's and Progress springs on my DD and I couldn't be happier, cost me around $550 all together and its plenty on a DD. The install is straight forward, good saturday afternoon project.:)

oh and I wouldn't buy shocks on ebay IMO, just got to your local autoparts store, that way if there is something wrong with them you can atleast return them.

My budget ranges from $400-$500
It's a daily driven car
Just basic looks is what I'm aiming for...but I don't want to feel every pot hole/bump.

skunk2 full coilovers. they ride damn near stock and are way adjustable. if you decide you dont mind a bouncy ride(like me) skunk2 struts w/coilover sleeves will do for about $250, but youll have to get used to quick pothole dodging

What about adjustable cambers? Wouldn't you need those if you are gonna lower the car?

It depends on how low you're going to go. My car is lowered 1.5" on Tokico springs, and I've had no need for camber adjustors up to this point. All I did was get a good 4-wheel alignment.

The alignment is a necessity though, don't skimp on it. I put my steelies and hubcaps back on for the winter, and didn't bother to get it re-aligned (the tires are a little bit fatter than on my rims) and when I took them off recently I noticed a bit of wear on the inside of the front tires. They needed replaced anyway though, so it wasn't really a big loss, but just make sure to get an alignment any time you mess with your suspension (new shocks and springs, different wheels, etc.).

Actually I had been looking at the Tokico Illumina setup, is this similar to what you have?
http://www.autocarparts.com/part/262/586/
I'm not gonna drop it to the deck as I wanna drive the thing. State has limits on how far you can drop it anyway. The old suspension is in bad shape. Energy Suspension bushings as well.

They do a lot of Rally racing up here in maine I might try that some time but beyond that I would really just be driving it to work and such. The xB is the grocery car...but damn I want to supercharge it...

I'm pretty sure the Illumina kit uses the same springs I have. If that's the case, then yeah, I'd recommend it. You'll have a nice drop on quality springs but nothing too extreme, plus, if you do decide to try some racing, you'll be able to adjust the dampening on the shocks.

:werd:

my progress springs drop 1.5" as well, I wouldn't go any lower then that on a DD car IMO.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Illumina kit uses the same springs I have. If that's the case, then yeah, I'd recommend it. You'll have a nice drop on quality springs but nothing too extreme, plus, if you do decide to try some racing, you'll be able to adjust the dampening on the shocks.

So then what springs do you use?

That kit you linked to includes Tokico springs. I have the basic Tokico kit (with the non-adjustable "Blue"-series shocks). I'm pretty sure the springs are the same with both kits...

Cool beans.

Just bought my rims and tires so the suspension is gonna have to wait. I've gotta get over the get it on the road hump and then I can do upgrades every couple months. Not that lambo doors were needed, they were just on sale and I couldn't resist.

I found a machine shop and now I need to find out what I might pay for block work. I'm thinking sleeving at a minimum and maybe an 84mm bore. Then I gotta wonder about pistons, effective compression, blah blah. Then there is the transmission.

In the end all this is pushing me to do more writing. If i can sell a book I can pay for my Acura :D.

Anyway, I digress...

Well, just ordered some Blox camber kit, should be here tommorrow... My toes are really off ever since I bought the car so I need them and buying used cambers at the junk making a $100 difference, I rather get all 4 aftermarket with adjustable toes....

While I'm thinking on what to buy for SUSPENSION, I'm doing a whole engine gasket change...D16z6...Anyone know if ERISTIC GASKETS are any good to OEM's or better? Got this stuff from CNS AutoParts...

And while I'm still on hold doing the change, what's the difference between engine's D15b1 and D16z6??? I'm planning on going D15b1 soon from HMOTORSONLINE... with lower mileage. What's best to go with???

Appreciate everyone who gave advise about the suspension....MORE ARE WELCOME

Cool beans.

Just bought my rims and tires so the suspension is gonna have to wait. I've gotta get over the get it on the road hump and then I can do upgrades every couple months. Not that lambo doors were needed, they were just on sale and I couldn't resist.

I found a machine shop and now I need to find out what I might pay for block work. I'm thinking sleeving at a minimum and maybe an 84mm bore. Then I gotta wonder about pistons, effective compression, blah blah. Then there is the transmission.

In the end all this is pushing me to do more writing. If i can sell a book I can pay for my Acura :D.

Anyway, I digress...
nice threadjack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back