dropzone

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

I wish I would have found this website before I bought my dropzone coilovers and struts. But, fact is that they are already installed on my car.

I am wondering what I should expect from coilovers. This is the first time I have driven a car with them, and my impressions are mixed. The car drives like it's on rails...it's wonderful around turns. But, the ride is terrible. It feels like there is no suspension at all...and it's unacceptable on a dirt road. Is this the fault of the dropzone struts, or the dropzone coilovers? In other words, would buying better struts or better coilovers make for a more comfortable ride? I really don't want to buy a completely new setup right away.

What I really want is better handling than stock, AND better comfort. (comfort is actually a little more important to me than the handling. But the handling needs to be at least the same or better than stock) Also, I want the car lowered a little....like it is right now.

Thanks, truoss

are they one piece coilovers? like are the threds on the strut body it self? If you can replace just the struts then do that. I think struts do a lot in a ride. I use Skunkworks coilovers and Tokico Illuminas and it isnt smooth and wavey but it absorbs bumps one at a time but like if there are multiple pumps on the freeway it can get really annoying.

No, my coilovers are seperate from the struts. I can replace either strut or coilover and keep the other. So, you think the uncomfortable ride is a result of bad struts? I was thinking it would be the springs actually...

thanks,
truoss

the springs are too stiff on the coilover for you apparently. It's the coilovers fault.

I'm guessing the car is meant for a daily driver, so I would suggest gettin some softer coilover/spings. Your struts do and wll make a difference but for now the springs can change your ride qaulity ALOT.

This car is certainly a daily driver. I drive everyday over 30 miles with it including 1 mile on a dirt road. What springs would you recommend? As a I said before, I do not want to sacrifice handling completely, but a smooth ride is most important.

Thanks, truoss

depends what your looking to spend. I would guess just some Sport springs would be better. However it might not be as low as you'd like.

So, if I keep my dropzone struts and buy some name brand coilovers I should have a comfortable ride? Wouldn't just springs be better than coilovers? And what exactly are sport springs?

What kind of suspension do those off-road racers use in the small hatchback-type cars? I could imagine that I would like a setup like they have.

Thanks, truoss

well name brand has nothing to do with it, it's about the springrate of the coil. Namebrand coilovers can be stiff too... I'm not really sure what to suggest. Some Eibach Sports I guess would be a good choice, pretty smooth ride.

Off road cars? like the ones that race on race tracks? i dont think you would want the suspension they have on your car. I had some H&R sport springs and they road pretty good. I dont think any performance orriented springs will give you the comfort of the stock springs if that what your looking for then you should just put the stock ones back on.

I was talking about the off road rallies they have in Europe. I am not sure what they call it. It's a long distance race all on dirt roads. The cars look absolutely awesome the way they are set up.

So, I have heard the name Eibach from two people....is this the best choice? And I buy sport springs, not coilovers, correct? No one has told me to get rid of the dropzone struts...you all think they will allow for a good ride with better springs?

Thanks again, Truoss

coilovers all have stiff springs in them, no matter what brand, although some brands may be a little softer than others. if you want to stick with coilovers, i suggest Ground Controls (uses eibach springs), or Neuspeed, Skunk2, Tein or H&R.

you might want to go with ground controls because i know that they use progressive rate springs for a more smoother ride when you are not cornering hard (soft at the ends, stiff in the middle).

i have eibach sportline springs and they feel just a little firmer than stock when im not cornering hard or driving over 70mph. alot of people like this but since i want mine to feel like a race car, i might be getting some coilovers :)

BTW, i think the reason coilover springs are stiff is so when you have them set at the lowest position, your car won't be bottoming out on every tiny bump you hit. also, coilover springs are alot shorter than performance springs.

cool! actually neuspeeds or ground controls are my preference. thats good to know though. what i like about the GCs is that they have a one-handed locking mechanism...but i dont know yet what i want exactly.

the other reason i want coilovers is so i can raise my car back up to near stock height without sacrificing performance. i am so sick of crawling over every driveway and speedbump.

i know edel brock just came out with some shocks/struts a while back thats has anIAS valve there supose to be very good for both performance and comfort do to the valve being able to tell when the person is being more agressive with the car though im not sure about the lowering facter but i have heard good things about them, i plan i geting a set for my trans am granted its a much biger car is the design thats gonna make the difference. we run jic coil over on my moms accord and its a little ruff but not to bad at all and it handles like you wouldint believe it seems hard to believe that you would have to go through all this to find something you were happy with, i would at least look in to the edel brocks

man, edelbrock is getting into EVERYTHING. they just came out with a turbo kit for d-series too!

Blanco - i just saw a neuspeed ad that says their springs are "all 100%made in germany by a company who has been making springs since 1907." im pretty sure that would be eibach :D

Back