drum to disc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by mrnice1058@May 13 2004, 06:30 AM
i have a civic lx and it has drum brakes and i am sick of them they are ugly and i want better braking power, so what i needed to know was what do i need can i buy the calipers and rotors at the auto store and get the brackets from the junk yard and i know i need the lines from the ebrake handle, what else do i need to get also if i get the stuff from a 91 acrua? let me know thanks

You can go to a junkyard & find a 94 or 95 civic(only 5th gen civic that came with rear disks) with rear disks & just get them & put them on your car. I know that wilwood sells a drum to disk conversion also. Or you could go your route & buy all the parts from a store. Shouldnt be that hard & i think you will feel a difference just not a huge like you would if you upgraded your fronts...

Originally posted by thehare+May 14 2004, 12:32 PM-->
mrnice1058
@May 13 2004, 06:30 AM
i have a civic lx and it has drum brakes and i am sick of them they are ugly and i want better braking power, so what i needed to know was what do i need can i buy the calipers and rotors at the auto store and get the brackets from the junk yard and i know i need the lines from the ebrake handle, what else do i need to get also if i get the stuff from a 91 acrua? let me know thanks

You can go to a junkyard & find a 94 or 95 civic(only 5th gen civic that came with rear disks) with rear disks & just get them & put them on your car. I know that wilwood sells a drum to disk conversion also. Or you could go your route & buy all the parts from a store. Shouldnt be that hard & i think you will feel a difference just not a huge like you would if you upgraded your fronts...

you'll need the prop valve also. and make sure the does not have ABS

you need:
1. trailing arms with disc spindles, rotors, & calipers
2. disc brake hoses & e-brake cables
3. disc brake prop. valve (optional, but recommended)
4. larger master cylinder (optional, but recommended)

1. The trailing arms on all 4th, 5th, and 6th gen civics, 2nd gen CRXs, del sols, and 2nd and 3rd gen integras are interchangeable. you could swap just the spindles, but it's really difficult due to four pesky torx bolts.
2. get e-brake cables of similar length. for a civic, get them from an integra. for a CRX, get them from a CRX Si, or possibly a del sol VTEC.
3,4. discs need more hydraulic pressure than drums to pruduce the same decelerative force, so upgrade your prop.valve for balanced braking. Once you do that, you're asking your master cyl. for more pressure overall, so upgrade it too. you'll probably want a 15/16". you can't simply take the integra's MC - you'll need to swap the MC and booster as one unit.

Swapping to discs will not make your car stop more quickly. any properly adjusted system can lock all four wheels (or activate ABS), so stopping distance is limited to the quality of your tires. discs will provide substantially better fade resistance, and won't get clogged with water on rainy days. If your car pushes under braking when the fronts lock and the rears don't, you should upgrade to discs.

thank you man that is exactly what i needed to know i will get on it next weekend :D

quick question i got everything but the brake lines can i use the ones from the drums or do i need to buy new ones for the disc?
:eek:

you said they are interchangeable i got a set of trail arms from a 93 civic ex it came with the e-brake cables i can just unblot mine and bolt that one right on and that's it only thing i need is the brake lines right? because i can't use mine

ok i got the trail arm and i cleaned it up i changed the pads and rotors got new lines and i even replaced the calipers now what i need to know is how do i take off the old line from the housing it is on against the frame i can get the hard like that the fluid comes from but the soft line is hard as hell to get out can anyone give me a hand on this thanks

Hey whoever here is looking to swap the rear drums out, i have everything needed but the master cylinder. PM or IM me if interested. I have the set up from a 95 Civic SI Hatchback.

is there a way that i can change the drums to disc with out taking the trail arm off i can't get the bolts off on the end of the trail arm. can i remove the drum and the backing and all that and go from there let me know

Discs in the rear won't do a damn thing for your braking

Yeah ok... Oh and just for the record the top race teams dont have cross drilled and slotted rotors because they look cool, its all out performance and disc rotors do make a differance.

Originally posted by mrnice1058@Jun 2 2004, 01:39 AM
is there a way that i can change the drums to disc with out taking the trail arm off i can't get the bolts off on the end of the trail arm. can i remove the drum and the backing and all that and go from there let me know

Yes, you can swap out just the spindles, hte trailing arms are the same.

i did the disc bake swop it stops a little better but it was all plug and playand it is easyer to work on then drums... i would say go for it and it also looks better "if you have a 92-95 use a master cylender from an 92 si they work very good my went out moth ofter doing the swop" :ph34r:

Originally posted by mrnice1058@Jun 1 2004, 04:39 PM

it's possible, but the four torx bolts are reaaallllly hard to remove. if you've alrady got the trailing arms, just keep working those bolts. get some penetraing oil, and get your friend Lester to muscle them out.

well as sad as this sounds i couldn't get the bolt off so i had to bring it to the shop it is going to cost me 150 to get this changed over it really makes me sad thanks for all the help guys :( :unsure: :angry:

well the shop was not able to get the bolt off i don't think he tried hard enough but i got my new HondaTuning mag and in there they had step by step on how to do it with out changing the trail arm and those bolts where really easy to do the hardest part was getting the hub off the spindal. needless to say i got the dics brakes on now and i changed the proportion valve and it brakes really good i just wanted to get the drums to disc and i am very happy thanks for all your help guys :thumbsup: :D

Back