Drummers Are Natural Intellectuals.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not trying to stroke you off, but this is no surprise considering the level of coordination that it takes to really master drumming. Your brain has to be configured in a very unconventional way. I'm not sure if it is within your frame of reference but, check out Decapitated. Their drummer just died last year in a bus crash. He was unbelievable. They released their first full length "Winds of Creation" right after the drummer turned 16. He was 14 when they started recording. Unbelievable how someone that young can play so technically as a functional member of a band.

By the way, can you hold a different pattern with each of your four limbs while simultaneously processing input from 3-5 other instruments to play off of? Try this...

Tap your right hand to a repeating eight count. Tap your left hand on 3 and 7. Tap your right foot on 1 and 5. Finally, tap your left foot on 1, 3, 5, and 7. Now, do them all at the same time. Once you can do that, try it with some music. AC/DC would work well since that's basically what Phil Rudd plays on most songs.

oh oh! pick me pick me lol i can do that now try moving your feet in a 16th note pattern on the double bass playing eigth notes with your right hand on a crash cymbal and slamming teh snare on 1 2 3 and 4 :) lol just kidding im more into oldies and ska if anyone has heard of it lol i actally have a gig in month... things have been slow, but that article is sortof true and i could believe it....maybe...

I tried the whole drumming bit, when I was 17 I went out and bought a $600 set of ludwigs I played (or at least attempted) on those things for a good 4 hours a day but after a month of nothing but bs I realized I had no skills in the drumming department.

Not my type of music anymore, but a lot of metal-heads on the drum forum I moderate on posted about that. Much like anything else, some people are born with a higher level of natural talent. Buddy Rich was playing professionally on Vaudeville as Traps The Drum Wonder by the time he was three years old...literally. Another group of youngins that rock the house is Paramore. I don't really care for the whiny music, but those kids straight throw down and do it with a lot of musical taste compared to the rest of their genre.

This is going to be grrrrrreat to use against the old "stupid drummer" jokes, though. I remember my first guitarist asking me why I got so tired and sweaty when I played because I got "to sit down the entire time".

Well, only a stupid person would think that anyone else is stupid, without good reason . Although, I have met many talented musicians who had no common sense and no worldly ability outside of their respective instruments. Obviously this does not apply to everyone, or even a majority. I guess anyone who becomes too wrapped up in something is prone to losing their perspective on everything else.

You gotta get a teacher. In one hour's time I took a woman who couldn't even clap her hands to her favorite songs and had her playing the same pattern I mentioned earlier. She and her husband, who was the drummer, were in the drum shop I used to work in one day and after a few minutes of her saying she just couldn't do it, even after repeated attempts by her husband to show her. I sat her down on a kit and I sat down on the one next to her and showed her how to play. I shit you not, her husband's jaw hit the floor and she literally started crying.

Anyone can play drums. You might not ever been Neil Peart, hell I'll never be Peart, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun anyway. It's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. You just barely scratched the surface. If you had any amount of fun, get yourself a teacher and try it again. I can even point you in a few (free) directions.

» Free Drum Lessons - Learn How To Play Drums Online
YouTube - drumteacher76's Channel (Mike Johnston is the absolute shit!)
Education Resource Center (I highly recommend the Dom Famularo videos.)
DrumsMyLife.com (Quite possibly the internet's best drumming forum with a strong sense of community and a lot of knowledgeable people.)

I'd love to get into drums bt its not something I can afford at the moment. One day possibly soon I'll get me another set maybe I'll learn something but I'll probably just fail again....lol

Well, I'm an artist, I guess that explains why I like songs with a lot melody and the kind of higher pitched notes... I think. Anyway, right-side brain ftw!!!

That, and so is drawing, painting, I played guitar for a while, I write, um... I think that's all. I love almost any kind of art!!

I'll scan a pic I drew sometime, you'll see!!

Well, I'm an artist, I guess that explains why I like songs with a lot melody and the kind of higher pitched notes... I think. Anyway, right-side brain ftw!!!

There are several studies from universities like Dartmouth (NH FTW!), detailing how musical (as well as other art forms but mainly musical) processing, comprehension, and subsequent reproduction involve both the cognitive (left) and affective (right) sides of the brain. This is most likely due to music's mathematical derivations. This is part of why music is oft touted as a great mental exercise, and, extremely beneficial for children, whether or not they succeed or make it a life-long past time.

There are several studies from universities like Dartmouth (NH FTW!), detailing how musical (as well as other art forms but mainly musical) processing, comprehension, and subsequent reproduction involve both the cognitive (left) and affective (right) sides of the brain. This is most likely due to music's mathematical derivations. This is part of why music is oft touted as a great mental exercise, and, extremely beneficial for children, whether or not they succeed or make it a life-long past time.
you know I read that and thought to myself, "wow this guy is an intellectual" then I see "will fist you" :rofl:

Drum playing, even complex drum playing, is the oldest form of music. Ergo,
geico%20caveman.jpg

Banging on things with sticks may require a sense of timing and loose limbs, but I fail to see the point in elevating it above any other musical instrument. Listen to Stanley Jordan sometime.

Really ? How's that working out ? You learning to rationalize like a human being yet ? Or treat those around you with a shred of courtesy ?

You get a gold star to put on your calendar when you don't vicously attack those that think different than you ? Do you have any ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back