Dryer: 1; Brian: 0

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
yup, it won :mad:

So, Saturday, I take delivery on my new maytag washer and dryer set. Mom and dad bought me them for x-mass/house warming present for me as the previous owner didn't leave anything.

So all is well, saturday the guys come at about 11am.

Washer hooks up just fine... but they dryer, they refuse to connect because there is a vinyl hose on it out of the house. I guess it's some new law.

No biggie, i'll run to home depot, buy a metal one and hook it up, I think.

I couldn't be more wrong.

I ripped out the plastic/vinly whatever it is one out, and i'm suprised the house hasn't burned down yet. It was practically clogged with lint, and half of it looked burnt.

I HIGHLY suggest everyone clean out their dryer hose Do it for safety.

anyway,

So i go to get this shit all together, and i can't.
the slot cut in my cielings' sheetrock is not big enough for the metal pipe. i guess the vinly one was squished.

so, i whip out the utility knife, and cut a large square out of the cieling (mind you, my basement is underground, so i go out to the dryer vent out side at about 6 inhces into the drop celiing....)

i pull out the insulation so i can see whats going on...

The round hole in the foundation is like 3.9", not 4. I cannot for the life of me get this pipe through it.
I give up, and finally throw the old one back in after a thorough cleaning.

but thats just the vent out side to the inside 1' piece. i still need to connect the hose from that piece to the dryer's bottom vent.

No problem.

8' is the longest the sell.

from the bottom of the dryer to the pipe i need to reach and bend too is about 10 or 11 feet.

fuck.

after 7 hours combined of saturday and sunday,
i gave up, threw everything, broke what i could, and cussed the living hell out of everything.

How the hell do you connect two 4 inche round things together??? shove one in the other wihtout crushing it? nope... clamp it? nope. spend $50 more dollars at home depot to make it work? nope.

Since i've been there 2 weeks, and i haven't had laundry, needless to say, saturday was my last day of clean shorts.

so i ended up doing a load in the washer while i fucked with the dryer... so now i have 4 pairs of wet jeans and some boxers.... and no way to dry them cuz my dryer is a POS.

condo... yup... no clothes lines...

so, there goes my bathroom, my draweres everywhere. I cranked the heat up to 75 and closed the doors. by sunday night, i had some clean shorts to wear.

so here it is monday morning, and i'm still dryer-less.

I'm ready to just run a pipe into the freakin garage.... but E said the humidity of it will kill the drywall/paint/ etc..

so fucking annoying.

i hate houses.
kinda like i hate cars.

i need to face it, i'm not mechanically inclined. but who the hell do you hire to install a freaking dryer vent?

dryer vents are fire hazards so everyone will refuse to install them.

my vent house is like aluminum foil with wire frame skeleton.
i just clipped one of the pieces of wire so the aluminum could stretch out some, then just shoved into onto the dryer. if it doesnt stay on its on you could always get some sort of clamp or just tape it.

Some with HVAC qualities can do it.. call sears, they'll install it fro $$$.

I'm a little confused. But why is this so difficult? Move the dryer closer if you can...

Can't? I'm almost positive they make connections for the dyer hose. I've installed a few dryers and I know I've made it work some how

I use zip ties and a home made coupler to connect mine. Keeping my house dust free since 1999. And think I was 12 years old when I did mine by myself....

I am alomst positive that they make 4" rubber couplers for pvc/plumbing use. they have a hose clamp on either end. that is how we tied pvc into cast iron vent stacks.

Quoted post[/post]]
dryer vents are fire hazards so everyone will refuse to install them.

my vent house is like aluminum foil with wire frame skeleton.
i just clipped one of the pieces of wire so the aluminum could stretch out some, then just shoved into onto the dryer. if it doesnt stay on its on you could always get some sort of clamp or just tape it.

yeah, i had that stuff, and i had some real aluminum strethcy pipe, and neither of it worked. tape and glue came to mind, but both are flamable... so its not a good idea. i bought 8 4.5" clamps.

i'm ready to go find some 4" couplers like you'd use for intercooler piping..... THATS what i need....

Quoted post[/post]]
Some with HVAC qualities can do it.. call sears, they'll install it fro $$$.

I'm a little confused. But why is this so difficult? Move the dryer closer if you can...

Can't? I'm almost positive they make connections for the dyer hose. I've installed a few dryers and I know I've made it work some how

the vent for the dryer is on the bottom.
so it has to go allt he way from the floor to the cieling, as its underground basement, and the vent is above my head. i was kneeling on the dryer for most of the day :cry: my knees were killing me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Mine dumps out onto my green shag carpet, ala Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

thanks for the useless post

call me when you get out of work ill go over and set it up

yay! maybe on tuesday i can use my dryer instead of laying my draweres all over the bathroom :p

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Mine dumps out onto my green shag carpet, ala Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

thanks for the useless post
not useless, it does work. it just kind of makes a mess. and heats the shit out of whatever room its in. you could simply do this until you get it hooked up correctly...just to get some clean, dry clothes.

Back