Dsl Or Cable Broadband?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

I'm having a very hard time choosing between the two. Yes, I'm still using 56k :lol: Its only $9.00 a month. So, I would greatly appreciate you're advices. I want to know both pros and cons of the two connections. Also, Im deciding between Charter Digital Cable and Yahoo SBC DSL so that might determine which way I swing due to service. Heres what I know from my friend because he had dsl now has cable:
DSL:
Pros
1) Free activation and Modem
2) $30 a month for their "Level 2"
3) Live within a reason range to get good service
4) Fast internet
Cons
1) Price is only good for a year
2) Cant connect for a period of times on occasions
3) Laggy
4) Bad customer service
Cable :
Pros
1) Always On without using telephone line
2) $35 a month for "level 1"
3) Fast Internet
Cons
1) Price increases without notice
2) Have to rent modem ($5 a month)
3) Slows down during rain
4) Bad customer serivce too

PLEASE ADD OR CHANGE ANY INFORMATION~! i really want to upgrade soon because my 56k is almost up and i need the net.

Calesta? B? Anyone? HELP~!

i dont know anything about DSL,

but i have cable through cox, which is also comcast and every other fucking thing Time Warner owns.

You can buy a modem for under a 100 now, mine sees no decrease in the rain, even when we had an outbreak of tornado's, i never lost the net, just power. The only bad thing is, the rate flucuates, like DSL from AT&T in texas isa round 85KB (my gf's was), and never changed, if it did, it was rare and did it very little. My cable can be on at over 350-400 and then try 15 minutes later and it will say 215 and then try 5 later and be back around 300.

35 a month is cheap for cable, i'm paying right at 60.15 a month for mine. You can't get DSL here, well you can, but its 99.99 a month b/c it comes from 50 miles away.

I'm not sure of DSL's upload speeds, but I upload around 35-40KB on cable.

If everyone in your neighborhood is on cable then DSL is the better choice, but in every other instance cable will be better. I am paying for Qwest's "level 2" service (640kb down, 256 kb up) and I am dissapointed. I have seen cable broadband move much faster than that.

I'd vote for cable all the way. I've used both, and I've been much more impressed with cable on every level.

Eric, on a related note, I'm getting cable broadband in about ten days...Comcast is running a deal for 1/2 off installation and $20 a month for 6 months. :)

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jun 4 2003, 04:30 PM
but i have cable through cox, which is also comcast and every other fucking thing Time Warner owns.

Not true. Cox is Cox, Time warner is everything else. :D (I worked for Cox for a couple months) Cable slows down when other people around you are online too. SBC Yahoo DSL sucks mainly because of their customer service. I have DSL now and used to have cable. Cable is the best bet 90% of the time.

Cable > DSL

Well, only if you don't care about speed and ping fluctuations... which really don't matter unless you're really picky about playing professional Quake matches online or something. The speed on cable is almost always greater than on DSL, and the price is about the same. Even if the speed varies on cable from time to time, it's still faster. I used to be a Quake whore and ping was everything to me, but the sheer downstream bandwidth on cable is just too good to ignore.

:lol:

ive actually had both but would have to say cable is way better than dsl. i use Comcast and i have had good tech support from them....Verizon techs just sucks if you ask me...

I've got DSL and it is pretty fast, but then again cable isn't offered in my town (small German dorf). I would like to try out cable but as I said above it isn't availible yet.

Cable all the way.

You can either buy a calbe modem online for cheap or you can buy the cable modem thru charter. I have cable thru charter and it rocks !!! Its superfast and the customer service is great. I had a problem when it was first hooked up and I called the Cust. Serv. and they stepped me thru it in about 10 mins !!!

another thing i forgot to mention about how shitty Verizon is having to sit on hold for long periods of time. i sat on hold for over an hour once just to get a simple ass question answered. when they finally picked up, i told them i was pissed but it did no good oh well. tuesday i night called Comcast because i was having a problem and i only stayed on hold for less than 5 minutes and the guy was very helpful whereas Verizon it took them too damn long to get my shit fixed once.

addition DSL con: takes them a fuckin week to have your shit activated where as cable was not even 5 minutes of requesting them for it.

get cable...cable ownz all

I've got the cheap rate cable from Bresnan Communicaitons (used to be AT&T). It's fairly slow recently, but I"ve been happy with it. $45 a month. Used to pay $25 a month until about 6 months ago.

ive had cable and got sustained speeds of 300k/s. i dont know about dsl but from what ive seen its a little slower. i switched back to 56k b/c my computer cant really keep up with that speed(counter-strike ping was the same for 56k and cable; 250ms), and its rather expensive when you cant find anymore movies to download.

Yeah, Comcast Rocks.

My buddy has comcast and he has speeds that normally only a T1 could get. You can't get a T1 for less than $500/Month !!! Not to mention the setup charges...

I only get about 250kB/s with Comcast here in Dallas. Back in Austin we got 600kB/s constant when cable modem service first came out- then it settled to the 400kB/s (yup, 24/7 too) speed that it's at now. Downloading 10GB of stuff a day is a wonderful thing.

:lol:

i've got cox cable... only complaint is the capped upload speed... i can only upload @ 30k... but i get downloads consistently at 400k.

Back