Dslr.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah that looks like a good deal although the megapixels in the descriptions are inconsistant throughout the auction (8.0 in one spot to 10.1 in another). This package from the site I sent you is close and a little cheaper.

https://www.shopsunshine.com/item.php?item_id=140432

Also in my honest opinion there isn't really a noticibly huge difference between the xt and the xti. Basically it just a few af points and 2 mega pixels. We do full production printing and our xt's are just great. You might want to think about the fact that you could save money/get more stuff by going with a plain xt model since I am assuming that you and your wife aren't formally trained in photography and really wouldn't miss the couple of new features that the xti would give you.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Optical Zoom: [/FONT]3x

weak.

id look for more than that in a $1k camera

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Optical Zoom: [/FONT]3x

weak.

id look for more than that in a $1k camera

Optical zoom is dependant on the lens that you put on the camera. I am not sure where you got the 3x from but I have a 50-500mm sitting on one of my cameras right now. These are digital Single lens reflex cameras not point and shoots.

clayton....finally sumting i can help u with.......get her a nikon slr d-50.....i use that on my photoshoots.....excellent camera......very clear and its digital!!!! ill post sum pics of my work......best camera imo

Attachments

• DSC_2772.JPG
    DSC_2772.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_2778.JPG
    DSC_2778.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_2161.jpg
    DSC_2161.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_2645.JPG
    DSC_2645.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_2754.JPG
    DSC_2754.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 142
clayton....finally sumting i can help u with.......get her a nikon slr d-50.....i use that on my photoshoots.....excellent camera......very clear and its digital!!!! ill post sum pics of my work......best camera imo

Is that a step up from the digital rebel series or just the competition? I am not really familiar with the nikon models.

i dunno for sure....but my dad reccomended it and i bought it....i belive its about 500-600.......like the pics?

Yeah I think that it is the competitor to the rebel series. In either regard if you go with nikon or canon dslr right now you wouldn't be dissapointed. Both are great cameras for the "prosumer" I guess it depends what you are looking for and what brands you may be biased to.

good site that compares nikon to canon:

The Nikon D80 vs. The Canon Digital Rebel XTi

Now I remember those cameras. I almost went with those when they first came out a few years ago except in our school the newpaper already had canon so I went with the same brand because it was easier to learn for the students. They are a little older but are still a great model. I still have my first digital rebel that came out the same time. Even though it is "outdated" I still love it. 6.3 mega for the win!

B - you don't know shit about cameras do you....Focal length determines how "close" you can get to a subject (as in larger focal length = smaller viewing angle = larger final image to the camer'a sensor). Zoom is simply the ratio of focal lengths of a lens. If a lens is 10-50mm, it has 5x zoom. A 100-300mm lens has 3x zoom, but will enlarge the subject more.

Anyway, pertanent to the thread:

XT vs XTi - The XTi has a nice sensor auto cleanign function and its 10.2mp as opposed to 8.2. It would be very comperable, its just a little new technology. Since your wife is Japanese I assume she probably has small hands. However, if the XT/XTi is too small (a lot of people complain about how small the body is) you could pick up a used 20D body for about the same price as an XTi. Word of warning, once you get her a DSLR, she's going to want more lenses. I know I spend way too much time drooling over glass now that I have an XT. If you're also looking for a cheap replacement for the kit lens, look at the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I just got one, its sharp as hell and only about $350.

Now for the controverical debate...

Canon vs Nikon
Personally, I have had bad luck with Nikon gear. My parents 1st digicam was a Nikon P&S that was not very good quality at all. The coating on the lens was all messed up and would create wierd artifacts.
Canons have lower ISO noise than Nikons. This means that in low light you'll get images that are less grainy and well...noisey. Canons also tend to have a greater selection of glass available, and its also cheaper.

Personally I would choose an XT body and then get her a nice lens too. You could pick up an XT body for arround $500 and then get a Canon 17-40mm F/4L lens for $650. Or you could go the cheaper rout and get a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 for $350 like I mentioned before.

Anyway, if you REALLy want to get good information, stop posting on hondaswap and ask some questions on the POTN Forums. The people there really know their shit. A lot of pro photographers hang out on the site. Realize its a canon forum so it'll be a bit biased....but then again, Canon is the best!

Last edited:
B - you don't know shit about cameras do you....

Anyway, pertanent to the thread:

XT vs XTi - The XTi has a nice sensor auto cleanign function and its 10.2mp as opposed to 8.2. It would be very comperable, its just a little new technology...probably worth the extra $$. Since your wife is Japanese I assume she probably has small hands. However, if the XT/XTi is too small (a lot of people complain about how small the body is) you could pick up a used 20D body for about the same price as an XTi. Word of warning, once you get her a DSLR, she's going to want more lenses. I know I spend way too much time drooling over glass now that I have an XT. If you're also looking for a cheap replacement for the kit lens, look at the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I just got one, its sharp as hell and only about $350.

Now for the controverical debate...

Canon vs Nikon
Personally, I have had bad luck with Nikon gear. My parents 1st digicam was a Nikon P&S that was not very good quality at all. The coating on the lens was all messed up and would create wierd artifacts.
Canons have lower ISO noise than Nikons. This means that in low light you'll get images that are less grainy and well...noisey. Canons also tend to have a greater selection of glass available, and its also cheaper.

Personally I would choose an XT body and then get her a nice lens too. You could pick up an XT body for arround $500 and then get a Canon 17-40mm F/4L lens for $650. Or you could go the cheaper rout and get a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 for $350 like I mentioned before.

Anyway, if you REALLy want to get good information, stop posting on hondaswap and ask some questions on the POTN Forums. The people there really know their shit. A lot of pro photographers hang out on the site. Realize its a canon forum so it'll be a bit biased....but then again, Canon is the best!

Could not have put it any better. As for glass two sites that I have used are the shopsunshine.com site and Preferred Photo - Superior knowledge and expertise in photographic equipment, consumer satisfaction at a great low price. I don't always buy the top of the line glass from canon but their intermediate glass and the sigma glass that I have bought have never let me down. Both of these sites have pretty good prices for new factory warrantied glass.

a thread to bring out the photographers....wow...

well since we are on topic.....anyone want professional quality pics taken of there cars? 20 buck and i do as much as u like and put them on a cd-rw for yah! ask for pics of my recent photoshoots......they are the hottness!:D

:shrug2:

it said 3pm on the auction...... lol i don't know. i use point-and-shoots and take fine pics :)

yeah I saw that after I went back. I actually found a couple of errors on that auction. don't worry we forgive you......I have nothing against point and shoot it. They are just not the perfect tool for what I need to do.

point and shoot = shutter lag and minimal control

dslr = more control + awesome glass options.

I actually take my canon sd point and shoot out more often to the bars and things. The dslr is reserved for the actual photo assignments that I attend like sporting events and the like.

Back