DSM'er here needs a little help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey everyone I just signed up on here to see if I could get a little clarification on a couple things... I have been a DSMer for nearly five years and built a couple bad ass engines so I am not a noob when it comes to engines and stuff... Now this prelude has the 2.3L H23a motor in it and after doing some research on here (great site by the way) I notice that there is a better motor to put in it, the H22a with VTEC... Now from what I have been reading all I need for the swap is a H22a Longblock and the ecu..... So does that mean:

1. The Tranny from the H23 will bolt up to the H22a?
2. I use the H23 Wiring harness and have to do some wiring for VTEC?
3. Do I still use the H23 accesories (power steering, ac, etc.)?
4. Is there anything else missing that I would possibly need for the swap?
5. I read something about a problem with this swap but can't find exactly what it is....

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section feel free to move it if needed....Thanks in advance....

Justin

Last edited:
1) Yes the transmission will bolt right up .

2) You can retain the H23 wiring harness. 2 wires need to be run from the ecu to the Vtec solenoid and Oil pressure switch

3) Yes, all the accesories will from the H23 will work.

4) The exhaust manifold from the H23 will not bolt up . Different exhaust pattern.

5) Should be a simple bolt up.

The wiring of the vtec goes to the following pins on the ecu . Well you hook it up to the Harness to the ecu.

Vtec solenoid pinout =a4
Vtec oil pressure switch pinout=d6

You need to gound the Vtec Pressure sensors black wire to a good gound source then run the Vtec Solonoid's green/yellow wire and the pressure sensors blue/black wire into the passenge compartment.

Connect the green/yellow Vtec solonoid wire to the pin A4. It is unused in your harness right now. Harness "A" is the big first harness and pin location 4 is the second slot over on the bottom row. It goes zig-zag pin A1 is a brown wire so A4 is under it to the the right next to the yellow wire (A2)
Connect the Blue/Black pressure sensor wire to pin D6. It is also blank in your stock harness. The D connector is the third connector directly opposite the A connector. There is no C connector in OBD-1. Remember the pin locations go zig-zag. So it's 1 up and 2 bellow it. So think of it like this odd number are the top row and even are the bottom row. So D6 is three spaces over on the bottom row of the thrid harness.

Thank you very much you answered all my questions in one shot... Here's one more... If I buy a H22a long block that has everything on it (Exhaust mani, intake mani, accessories, etc) will the exhaust mani on the H22a bolt up to the downpipe from the H23??? Hope fully this won't be a :nutkick: when I order everything for my friend and it don't work.....

Just want to say :thankyousigna2:

Should bolt right up . No problem at all .

Good luck on the swap .

Sorry to jump the thread but Tab, do you remember what ecu you had to use for the h22/auto trans setup. I've been using a P13 but it shifts all over the place. The F22 ecu actually works better. Pretty sure the TCU is OK.

Bob

Back