DUI

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

I just got a DUI. I blew a .12 and .08 is considered drunk in the state of VA. I dont have any other convictions before except a couple speeding tickets and non moving violations. I got pulled over and nailed with Altered suspension, illegal u-turn, Unapproved exhaust (Greddy SP) Should be 50 state legal though, and a DUI. I Passed the field sobriety test but blew over the limit. Do you guys think I should spend the dough for a lawyer, go with the court appointed one for free or go without one. I cant really afford one. Anyone get a DUI before? Whatcha get? Thanks:)

I got a DUI...and the lawer helped some....not much...but he got me off the big hook. The worst case scenerio is if you have a judge that likes to ream people....I got snagged with the little hook....just the normal fines, time without a licence, no car, more fines, probation for six months, had to pay restitution, and the lawers fee's, and the 50 hours of communitee service...I delt out a total of $10K's...just to get out and clear of that DUI....I don't drive now with even one beer in my system. But I also destroyed my CRX and the Rustang that I hit....

You might get lucky....

and I hope you learned your lesson....I'm glad nobody got hurt.

why dont you just grow up, accept the consequences, and get over it?

its people that fuck the system when they know they are 100% in the wrong that fucked it up for the rest of us.

you got drunk, drove then got pulled over. now you want a lawyer? grow up.

fight the exhaust part if you can prove its carb legal. the sticker doesnt always cut it though. paperwork helps. :)

damn...the cops of the Communist State of Virginia attack again. sucks that you got a DUI. you MAY wanna get alawyer. as far as altered suspension goes...did he measure your car from ground to bottom of the bumper as thats where they are supposed to measure at? supposed to be 15" off the ground at those 2 points. the exhaust if its 50 state legal, take the paper work that came with it to court and fight that.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jan 4 2004, 08:51 PM

its people that fuck the system when they know they are 100% in the wrong that fucked it up for the rest of us.

fight the exhaust part if you can prove its carb legal. the sticker doesnt always cut it though. paperwork helps. :)

What he said. Take your medicine, dumbshit.

Although I agree with turbomirage...I also know that a Lawyer will help very much so. A friend of mine got pulled over for littering and he blew a .12 or something over the legal limit. he got arrested and had a count of reckless driving or something like that. He got himself a lawyer, and the only charge that stuck was the dui. He got a "probationary" license for to and from work, school and church driving ONLY, and has like 60 hrs of community service. As opposed to no license and 90 hrs of community service. :)

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jan 4 2004, 08:51 PM

Um yer the dumb shit because you dont know how to read. I never said I didnt want to accept the consequences for my actions, I was just asking if I should get a lawyer thats all. Quote "now you want a lawyer? grow up" If I wanted a lawyer then I would get one and I wouldnt even have bothered with posting this topic in a forum and wasting your time. Dont play innocent and act like you never have broken any laws at some point in your life, and point the finger. all people make mistakes including you :)

Calm down people.

He didn't have to be 'drunk' to have blown over the legal limit. He could have been functioning totally normally or as normal as the guy with the .07 BA yet still have a higher BA level. It all depends on how often you drink and how much you drink, the guy who never drinks and is 130lbs who blows a .08 will function a lot worse than the guy who is 200lbs, drinks often, and blew the .08 or even 1.0.

He says right here "I Passed the field sobriety test but blew over the limit"...meaning obviously he was functioning normally but was considered 'drunk' based on a BA level that didn't neccesarly mean that he wasn't functioning properly.

It all depends, so for you all to say "you drunk bastard! what were you thinking?!" is asinine.

Learn and understand concepts before you preach like the church choir.

atleast someone agrees, thanks. The altered suspension, I can raise the car back up take pictures of measurements and can get it dismissed, happened before. Superstreet has an article of all the exhaust systems that are 50 state street legal, greddy SP is one of them but dont know if thats good enough. I was only in jail for 15 mins because I was talking to the magistrate and he could tell I wasn't drunk. He let me go without having to pay a bond. Had to get a ride because car got towed though:(

Originally posted by SolidDreamz@Jan 4 2004, 09:49 PM
atleast someone agrees, thanks. The altered suspension, I can raise the car back up take pictures of measurements and can get it dismissed, happened before. Superstreet has an article of all the exhaust systems that are 50 state street legal, greddy SP is one of them but dont know if thats good enough. I was only in jail for 15 mins because I was talking to the magistrate and he could tell I wasn't drunk. He let me go without having to pay a bond. Had to get a ride because car got towed though:(

You could try to say that the breathalizer wasn't functioning properly or accurately...and get off on a technicality such as that if you weren't visibility drunk.

Most of the other stuff it seems like you have covered as long as you take it to court and present the facts in a rational matter and not trying to slander the cop who stopped you.

....and I think the DUI will depend on the judge you get and how he feels about the DUI policy and your previous record.

actually, i have been to court because of dumb shit i did. i rolled my civic, twice. i took my licks, paid my insurance, and moved on. i didnt get a lawyer. i lost my license because of it. now im a bit wiser, and have my license back and a better/faster car.

im truth im glad i rolled that thing. love it i did, but there really is alot better cars out there. :)

you probably mean .10 instead of posting a 1.0, i believe that after a .33 you should be legally dead.

but anyways, I would get a lawyer, my girl got tagged with a dui with a .02 and yes it was under the limit but she was under 21, she went to court, suspended license, about 3k in AA costs, 3k in other fees, basically it's going to cost you some and try to get that other shit taken off like the other tickets you got.

good luck

Tough to say what's gonna happen in your state. In Washington, First Offense isn't too bad. You'll go, get a alcohol evaluation, and show that to the judge when you return. He'll make his decision based on that evaluation. That doesn't mean you'll get off. Be prepared to pay bro. It's not whether or not you pay, but how much at this point. I had my First DUI knocked down to a Negligent Driving in the First degree. I recieved no AA's or Treatment.

However, later down the road I had a couple beers(really, only two) and I spun the tires on my truck in a parking lot. That caused another negligent in the first.

Later on(do you see the pattern here?), I ended up in front of the same judge for fighting at a party. Using his discretion, he sent me in for another EVAL and said if I came back with a clean slip he wanted the counselor in his courtroom to tell him why I didn't have a problem.

I did a year of treatment. Just don't drink and drive. I figured out that over the last seven years, those incidents have cost me over $7000. That money would have bought every taxi ride I ever wanted to take. If you think you can't afford a taxi, then you shouldn't leave the house.

Far from perfect, I'm giving you words of advice. OK, I would go to preliminary hearing and see how bad the evidence is. Sounds fairly bad. If you can't afford a great lawyer, don't buy one. Get the court appointed attorney or defend yourself. "Only a fool....." They never had a court appointed attorney. What you are shooting for is to go deferred. The fine will be lower, and if your good for a disclosed amount of time(x years), then the ticket drops off of the record that most people see. (I did this, but the judge and cops ALWAYS see this record, until you die.)

Good Luck man, I feel your pain. Hopefully you don't do it again. Second offenses are serious jail time and huge fines. Loss of License is a big issue too.

va = nazi hell from what i hear as far as car laws go. grab your ankels and spell R-U-N.

get a DD next time you go out

A lot of people are going to rag on drinking and driving as they should. Sorry bro but you knew the consequences, now you will have to pay them.

In all my times getting pulled over, I have learned one very big thing (good advice)no matter what the cop says, no matter how cool he seems, no matter how nice he is, dont tell them anything. Whatever you tell them is what your going to be charged for. Cops say honesty is the best policy, FUCK THAT!!

I got cought in the act of street racing, cop told me why I thought he pulled me over and I told him I knew why. Racing. You know what he did? Charged me for racing.

Whatever you don't admit, they (most likely)will not charge you for it. Dont admit anything to the cops!! Make them prove it. Honesty is the best way to get yourself a ticket! Play dumb! Hopefully you guys get the idea.

Tad bit off topic....

But when I got in my accident with a DUI, head on collision with a 94 mustang and my CRX, the cops said we were both drinking, the mustange driver as well, but it was my fault becouse he had the right of way....funny though, I never saw his headlight.......But anyways...the funny thing about it, was the video tape the officer took of me with his cruisers vid cam...and when that tape was reveiwed in the judges chambers, my lawyer, the cop, the judge all let me off with just the simple fines and shit....

{tape w/ video} cop"Sir, do you have any contrabanned item's in your car?"......me" uhhh....only a playboy magazine"{/tape w/ video}

They just couldn't stop laughing and it put them in a good mood....the truth does help in most situations.

Back