1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumbass

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by 95b16coupe, Oct 9, 2009.

1. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

A common complaint about golf is that a round at a nice course can cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately for one man, that complaint has become more than a metaphor.

A 77-year-old man lost his arm below the elbow on Thursday when he was attacked by an alligator while playing golf on Fripp Island, the Island Packet reported on its Web site.

The man, who was playing the 11th hole of the island's Ocean Creek Golf Course, leaned down to pick up his ball when a 10-foot long alligator grabbed his arm, said Kate Hines, general manager of the Fripp Island Property Owners Association, according to the report.

The alligator then dragged the man into a nearby pond and went into a series of "death rolls," a technique it uses to tear apart its food, Hines told the paper. That was when the man lost his arm.

The man's golf buddies were able to free him from the alligator's grasp and called 911, according to the report.

Tracks worker killed the alligator and performed a necropsy on it to remove the man's arm from the animal's digestive track, Hines told the paper.

The arm was stored in a cooler in the hopes of re-attaching it. The man's condition was still unknown late Thursday night.
    77-year-old golfer loses arm in alligator attack - Golf News - FOX Sports on MSN

2. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

Failing to see the Dumbass in this

3. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

how the hell do you not see a 10 foot alligator right next to your golf ball?

4. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

Why would you assume you could see a ten foot alligator? Google attacked by alligator and see how many hits you get. Are all of those people dumbasses? Unless there was a sign or something I don't think I would assume all water has them in it even in Florida.

5. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

i assume the worst. but he wasn't near water. thats why the alligator dragged him to the water. and alligators aren't a surprise. i'm sure there was ample warning.

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

they are kind of expert killers
    they lay and wait for their prey

7. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

If im at a golf course and a gator and I come face to face im bringing a pitching wedge down on him harder than Galliger comes down on a watermelon. Wedge side down, right between the eyes. But that guys old. He's gonna die soon anyway. At least he'll have something new to talk about.

8. hunter4life

hunter4life Rotary Man

I feel bad for the guy but what about just playing golf where there isn't alligators, I don't go play hockey where there's polar bears...just sayin

9. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

alligators are on many golf courses
    its definately not uncommon and they are valueable parts of the ecosystem
    my guess is this guys ball was right at the edge of a water hazard and when he went to get it the alligator thought it was food coming for a drink and snapped him up

alligators are also extremely fast on land
    you'd definitely shit your pants if one was coming after you

i really feel bad for the guy cause he probably won't be playing golf ever again

10. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

play golf in montana then. lol if you are playing in florida, you know the risks. it's a huge liability to the course and they take a lot of precautions to ensure the safety of the players.

sometimes you just have to let the ball go. a $2 ball just isn't worth the risk.

11. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Hey now, some of them are more like $5 + tax each!

12. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

him losing his arm = kinda sad, how if he lost 1 arm and 1 leg, now that would have been some funny shit.

13. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

No, it'd been funny if he'd lost his left eye, left arm, left ball and left leg.

14. DOHCef

DOHCef New Member

Im not sure if i would play golf if i new there were gators lurking around the course, here in Washington i aint gotta worry about that shit, but thats a bum deal for that guy.

15. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

Fast in a straight line. They have to near stop to turn. If you encounter one you're suppose to serpentine away. Or climb a tree.

A really danger to golfers is bears. If a beer wants to eat you, you're fucked. They are better at running, climbing, jumping, whatever, than most humans. Especially golfers.

16. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

I'm going to agree with other people here. I've golfed in florida. Gators are everywhere, and it is not uncommon to see them sunbathing on logs or in shallow bodies of water.

What happened here is the guy went to retrieve a ball that went in a hazard area, usually marked by stakes, and was probably at water's edge and got attacked by a gator that was in the water. The worst part about having them around often is you become desensitized, and get used to being in "danger".

Only gators and polarbears hunt people.

17. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

yes i also agree it was probably an honest mistake by the old man. that gator must have been hungry! i wonder if this gator was getting fed and associating people with food?

i am an avid outdoorsman and fisherman and have spent as much of life as possible in the wilder parts of florida. i have almost stepped on alligators several times before... they are sneaky, you have to really be on your toes if you are in their territory. they only attack when they feel that they have the jump on you, and are usually easily intimidated if you see them first. ive had them swim right up to me while wade fishing in waist deep water, particularly when fighting fish.... a small rock or a bump with the end of a pole while standing your ground is enough to bluff a wild gator. its the ones that people feed that are more dangerous!

18. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Sounds like fun- you'd be drunk by the time he was done, then you'd get laid. Awesome.

19. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

I think that was my subconscious telling me I'm thirsty.

20. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

There you go. It's past 2 where you are though... no more bars.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted