1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player for my PC?

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by StealthMode, Jun 5, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Kung Foolin'

Ok, I thought my Dell PC had a DVD player in it, but it doesn't. Is there a way I can upgrade mine, or download something so it will play dvd's? Or do I just need to go to Best Buy or a similar store and pick up a dvd drive? I'm not too computer savy, so I don't know a lot of the fancy words and such. What would be best to do?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

If you only have a CD-ROM drive, you can't download anything to make it read DVDs. If you have a DVD-ROM drive and just don't have the software to play a DVD (doubt it), then you can go buy WinDVD or PowerDVD or something similar. Usually a Dell computer with a DVD drive in it will have DVD viewing software preloaded on it from the factory.

3. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

yeah...and if it is a CD-ROM drive, the DVD-Drive will cost between 18 and 25 bucks, and it is the easiest hardware install to do. I know people who dont know ATA from PCI whp can install a drive in less than 3 minutes.

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

That's kinda dangerous. No idea what the fuck they're doing and yet have no problems with cracking the case and fiddling with it.

5. StealthMode

StealthMode Kung Foolin'

Ok, if they are cheap, then that's no problem. I know a few people that can help me put it in. For some reason, I thought they already put in the DVD drive, but I guess not.

6. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Come on now, it's like two screw, and two plugs, it's ALMOST impossible to fuck it up :)

I know instead my case, it's just not possible to plug something in wrong, only thing you could possibly do is turn the power cables upside down.

7. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

I got a $24 one shipped at Newegg.com. Its a LiteOn and it works good. Little loud, but hey you get what you pay for. It comes with PowerDVD too.

Very easy to install. Just plug it in.

8. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

"Almost impossible to fuck it up". :lol: Right. I've seen some pretty dumb people making pretty dumb mistakes.

9. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

i was fixing a guys computer becuase "His hard drive was busted". He took a file to the notch on the SATA connector.........

I dont like being a geek sometimes

LiteOn drive loud....those things used to be quiet, but i usually use Memorex and Rosewill now.

10. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Just make sure the master/slave jumpers are set correctly.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted