dvd player took a crap...help anyone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
well the first of our BIG purchase has taken a dump. It wasnt anything fancy but it did the job just like our TV....which I hope lasts a few more years.

I had a samsung dvd non blue ray player with the speaker outputs and stuff built in.
Now that it took a crap i want something nicer and more technology friendly.
- usb
- aux
- HDMI x2
- opt output
- wireless would be a plus

maybe this...
LG - 3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player - BP620

I still have the speakers and sub so i don't want to get these again.

any opinions on audio receiver? I'm trying to stay within a 300 budget but of course value does play a large roll in this. What good brands are out there?

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time researching but my purchases are personal choice. But Onkyo make nice affordable receivers. Mine ($225-240 around 5 years ago) is a Onkyo TX-SR506. It's old but still works great. I run all Polk Audio speakers off it. A big 3 speaker center channel (20"W X 6.5"H X 10"D), 4 simple satellites, and a 10" Sub. I ran optical wire.....not HDMI. It's cheaper and I do not want to use its remote so having it be my input switching station seemed silly. I ran HDMI from HD Cable box and PS3 to TV and ran one optical cable from TV to Receiver. So all I do is switch inputs on the TV....receiver is my AUX on my Cable box remote and I do not have to fumble around looking for remotes....except a PS3 controller to watch movies. Home theater on a budget :thumbsup: but I'll get a new one when this poops out....I need more wattage so I can be told to turn it down even more than the complaints my woman gives me now lol

funny I just got of the phone with a friend and he has the onkyo 706 or somthing.
I think the 506 was rated one the crowd favorites when budget comes to play.

I wouldn't be searching for my a player if mrs taco wouldnt have taken my ps3 to cali. :(

i have a 605 onkyo i think. still works.

I had a Samsung Blue Ray player (still have it) the reaction time from when you hit the skip or fast forward to when the player reacted was super stupid slow. It annoyed me. Now we rock the PS3 and it works great (as long as you get use to the controller).

Even a cheap Onkyo and using your old speakers will sound better than the all in one kit you had. Can't go wrong. But if you want to go sick'n all out.....tube amps but thats another dream of mine.

I HAVE a PS3 but Mrs taco uses it in Cali and unless I can find another one for $150 here locally It would be better to just get a new player under warranty and of course more modern.

I'm gonna go check out the models at best buy this afternoon to see what they have. Worst case I'll ride out to HHgregg and get a credit card from them but really don't want to. :lol:

Find it and check out Amazon and compare prices. I got their app on my phone. I would just make sure its not re-manufactured. Some guys think its fine but it don't sit right with me.

Yeah....I just push buttons like and idiot until I find something that sounds good.

I like the Neo:6 setting with center channel turned up :shrug2:

whoa nice. where the eff is middletown :lol:
havent had a chance to go to the stores lately, :mad:

I just got a LG BD630 from a pawn shop for $45, thing fucking rocks, plays BD, DVD, Netflix, and MKV from my hard drive.

i'm headed to the stores in a few to check some out in person.
got to try them out in person and see exactly what I'm getting.

Plus i can put it on the store card that i havent used in years. :lol:
18 months same as cash baby!

so I finally saw few in stock that I figured will do the trick.
here's what i saw.
Sony eSupport - BDP-S590 - Support

and I'm on the fence with the receiver.
can anyone tell me how much better a unit is with DTS - MA vs non? I've got a friend recommending getting one with it because it's quality is better.
this one has it
Sony - 945W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - STRDH520

and this is the one I was looking at
Sony - 945W 7.2-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - STRDH820 2022273 2023402 2023351 4550834 4566131&cp=1&lp=3

my bad, both units have it.
a plus is that both units can be turned on with the same remote. :lol:

I heard both of these as a pair since my friend has the older version of the player and the sony 820. sounds great and very user friendly.

The response and load time on the player is pretty quick too

can't order crap until I get my new card since the old one has mrs. taco's maiden name only. :( damnit.
I think these sony ones is what I'll be getting so i'll let you guys know how it looks,sounds, performs ect for those who will be in need in the future.

Last edited:
THX certified is upper level. Nice stuff. I couldn't pull the trigger when I bought my set up. But, in hind sight, it would be nice to have a receiver that can take higher quality (max wattage) speakers later on.

DTS is pretty common. Mine has it and it does sound better (in comparison to other settings I've tried).

The Sony receivers are known to be user friendly. I've had one (back in the stone age) and liked it. But the technology was obsolete.

I say you will be happy with the change. Even with a cheap receiver.

Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon seem to have comparable receivers in roughly the same price range. I say you can't go wrong. Mine is not high wattage and it's still too much for my woman. I'd be pissed if I bought a higher quality set up and couldn't turn it up lol. But that's my wonderful plight lol. Hell.....I bought a higher quality center channel....turn the sub WAY down and she still asks me to turn it down. "The commercials are too loud" "Its fine until the action scenes" "The music in the movie is so much louder than the dialog" "Now I can't hear anything"

I just let her control the volume on movies. It's a battle I cannot win lol. I would love a set up that TRULY keeps the volume more constant. Especially commercials. I know they make them louder on purpose but it still is frustrating. Magnavox (decades ago) had TV's that supposedly keep the volume constant but that technology died :shrug2:

The commercials should be the same level soon, as there was some kind of legislation about it.

I used to sell receivers over 10 years ago and Sony had the user following because of them name but their sound quality was not great. I dont know if that has changed. I still love my Onkyo.

Back