DVD ROM Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smarty009

so i reinstalled xp professional on my computer...and now the damn dvd rom wont load up any dvds...it will play cds perfectly fine...but not anything on a dvd...so i cant play any games or watch any dvds...grrrrr...anyone ever had this happen to them or know of a solution...i looked at the device manager and all the drivers are there...i even uninstalled the dvd rom driver and rebooted to let it reinstall...but still nothing...grrrrr

Try going to the manufactuer's website to see if they have an update for the driver. It could be the IDE driver too, depending. Usually the MS one works fine, but I know there used to be an issue with the Nforce4 IDEs and that was recently fixed.

Also, see if its running under PIO or Ultra DMA mode, the later being the best.

Maybe try to spread your cables out unless its sleeved because older ones make have "cross-talk". Lastly, see if its under the correct pinnings eg slave master or cable select.

If cleaning doesnt help, you laser is probably worn out.

Anyway good luck.

well...i installed powerdvd last night...but still nothing...i havent tried to play it manually from powerdvd though...im gonna try that when i get home...ill prollie download divx as well...just to make sure

codec to play dvds but not video games. it should read any ROM disc. besides windows media player already has an mpeg-2 codec.

man...its not even reading the disc...i open up My Computer and its still showing that there is no disc...ughhh...but it will read and load regular CDs...so the CD-ROM portion of it works...but the other part of the combo (DVD) doesnt work...grrrrr...o well...this computer is so outdated...it needs its hardware to be upgraded...or i just need to get a new computer...sigh

Probably a worn out laser.

Anyway, the 'egg' sales a lot of good dvd burners for like 25-30 shipped like the NEC or Pioneer. They also have dvdroms for like 20ish shipped.

Back