dx dead on the road

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chadcharb

VIP
My wife was driving my hatch to work when she said it "sputtered and died". She said when she tried to start it that it would pop a little and not start. Im on my way to get it with a car dolly now.

I was thinkin maybe a fuel pump and filter went bad.
I just put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in it this summer

Well i just went to pick it up and it fired up fine so i drove it onto the car dolley and drug it home. Got home and it fired up again and drove into the shop no prob.

Edit:i put a new fuel filter in it because it was easy and went for a drive and it runs fine as long as you ease into the throttle but as soon as you punch it it cuts out and starts popin and dies

Another edit: tried checking codes. Jumped the harness turned on the key and the check engine light comes on and stays on and the srs light continuously blinks...someone read this and give me some advice please lol

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the SRS light flash is, but my best guess is that your main relay is on its way out.

Main relay, and though you replaced the wires, I would check them again with a diffrent set, my civic got a bad set of NGK wires once and did the same thing, I replaced them / returned them for a new set and the car ran perfect after wards also do you have a spare dizzy? that mite also be on its way out, best of luck

serrilion said:
Main relay, and though you replaced the wires, I would check them again with a diffrent set, my civic got a bad set of NGK wires once and did the same thing, I replaced them / returned them for a new set and the car ran perfect after wards also do you have a spare dizzy? that mite also be on its way out, best of luck

I would think the wires would make it run bad all the time and not just when i get on it?

I would start with the main relay and check your grounds. Spark plugs and wires can often cause a misfire under heavy load as the first warning sign of failure. A tip in hesitation is often caused by dirty injector tips.

What happened when you jumped the terminals to pull codes. Did it flash for codes and did the cel come on at all? Does the CEL come on at KOEO?

UNDR8D said:
What happened when you jumped the terminals to pull codes. Did it flash for codes and did the cel come on at all? Does the CEL come on at KOEO?

I jumped the terminals and turned the key on. The cel comes on and doesnt blink but the srs light blinks continuously. When i break the circuit on the terminal the cel goes out and the srs light goes off as well

Edit: i thinking one of these 2

Fuel pump: Symptoms of a bad fuel pump.

Turn the ignition switch on and no hum is heard for the first 2 seconds. Car stalls while idling or cruising above 1 mph. Sometimes car comes back to life. 16 flash’s means injector problems?

When the main relay is bad, the yellow "engine" light on the dash will usually come on and stay on when you turn the key on and don't crank. It should come on for 2 seconds then go out, during that time the fuel pump runs to prime the lines.

Last edited:
take the distributor cap out, take the coil out, and inspect it for cracks, bulging of the case itself... if you didnt gap the plugs right, you might have overworked the coil and shorted it out... had this issue with my integra.... the poppoing and the stumbling are all signs of the coil going out...

You said you can't hear the fuel pump pressurize? Start there...and get a fuel pressure test gauge and check your pressure at the rail.

Main relay did the trick! Thanks for all the advice

Your welcome, 90 % of the time the damn relays die on these, my prelude ate 3 in a month once, just make sure its grounded out

glad to hear you figured it out. I always keep a spare. the issue is that the solder joints inside the case crack from heat cycling. Usually a quick hit with an iron will fix them. There are write-ups all over the internet.

99sidude said:
glad to hear you figured it out. I always keep a spare. the issue is that the solder joints inside the case crack from heat cycling. Usually a quick hit with an iron will fix them. There are write-ups all over the internet.

Awesome ill try and fix the old one and use it as a spare

So saturday my car died on me again and had the exact symptoms it had before so i pulled the main relay and put a new one in and it ran fine for about an hour then started acting up again. Should i replace the fuel pump?

serrilion said:
Proably wouldn't hurt to replace it, has it ever been replaced before?

No it hasnt but the car only has 100k

Have you checked your distributor? not just the cap and rotor but the shaft bushings, sensor pick ups and the coil and module? This is starting to remind me of the bad distributor saga I had about 6 years ago (never buy a cardone distributor)

Back