Dynalites on 10.3"/262mm rotors?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I've been looking to just upgrade the calipers on my car. I was looking at brake kits on Fastbrakes and seems like they don't sell just caliper upgrades. I know Spoon and maybe Project Mu makes some, but they cost too much for me. I know I can find some Dynalites on ebay or other forums for cheap(not exact same as the dynalites for the Honda/Acuras), and have custom adapters made. I need to know though, is it possible to make the 120-6806(and the likes) Dynalite calipers work with 10.3"(stock sized) rotors or will there be problems(which means I pretty much have to go with 11" rotors).

You can probably make them work, but I'm pretty sure that you're going to have some pad overhang. I don't think the calipers will fit easily under stock 14" wheels either.

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.ph...products_id=122

You could try that- it's a 14" brake kit that uses different calipers, but they're most likely OEM.

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/bigbrakes.html

Try that too. It's a great write up by Brian Hasty (FastBrakes owner) from way back about how to upgrade 4G brakes using OEM parts. You can probably do it like that cheaper than you would buy from him, and using new/reman parts instead of just used calipers.

Thanks Cal, very nice finds.

And yea, 4-pot conversion is expensive. I found out that Dynalites calipers can be had for ~$300/pair shipped though(Jeg's), so thats about $450 for their rotors, lines, pads, and brackets. Sounds reasonable, but it's way more than what I'm looking to spend.

I've decided to dump the idea of using Dynalite calipers after reading about some incidents with them; problems with seals(doesn't have a dust boot like our oem calipers, so requires alot of rebuilding/maintenance), and problems with the bleeders.

The HD kit looks very tempting, but I'd rather use my own rotors to save money. Does anyone know what calipers Fastbrake is using for the kit? There's a hint thought; he says the rotors are much thicker than the stock 10" rotors, so im guessing its an Odyssey or Accord calipers(which are 23mm, 25mm, and 28mm rotor widths). I don't have the time to experiment with different setups though. From that 4GBigbrake article, putting Accord Wagon calipers(23mm width) on a EX knuckle allows you to use 11" Prelude rotors...so maybe those calipers on DX/STD knuckles allow you to run 23mm-wide(Accord-sized) 10.3" rotors???

I don't know if that 4G Bigbrake upgrade will work with my wheels. I read on teamsol(the setup is about the same: 11" rotors with Accord/Type-R calipers), that you'd need 13.25" ID clearance on the wheels for it to fit.(both teamsol and hondaperf say you need 15" wheels). My wheels are about 12.25-12.5" at the smallest area(just behind the spokes).

You're welcome. :)

I know for sure that FastBrakes uses Wilwood calipers on just about everything. I actually had to clearance my calipers a bit (file and elbow grease) to maintain a 2mm space between the outside surface of the caliper and the inside of the GSR "fat five" wheels- but that was with the 11" upgrade.

The calipers that FastBrakes is selling are probably the Accord Wagon calipers that are talked about in the Hybrid article. He does state in the product description that they're used calipers, and he did also write the article 7-8 years ago. It's got to be the same stuff.

If you read farther down in the article, there's a link to a broken "EX upgrade" article. It's the supporting article for the 4G big brake upgrade, because you have to swap to 90-91 EX knuckles to do it. If you just go halfway and swap the knuckles, you can use all the 90-91 EX hardware- and it all fits under a standard 14" wheel. The EX came with 14" steelies.

The 90-91 EX brakes are supposed to be identical to the Integra brakes, so you do get more braking power- but not as much heat soak protection as the larger 11" rotor. You'll still have a better caliper and a 10.3" rotor though, so it's quite a bit beefier than your stock 9.5" rotor setup.

Give that a shot:

90-91 EX knuckles
90-91 EX calipers / rotors (should be same as Integra non-R)

Let me know how it turns out. I might be upgrading Katie's brakes on her 88 too.

Back