Dyno Results 3/4/03

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pills_PMD

VIP
first some background on the mustang dyno:

section 1)
The Mustang MD250 dyno is a true loading dyno, because it uses an inertia weight as well as an eddy current motor that is attached to the rollers. This eddy current motor creates a drag on the shaft by way of electricity that causes a magnetic field to try and overcome the torque going through the roller shafts. This current is controlled by software that is always trying to simulate load as if the car is driving in real world conditions. The real benefit from the loading dyno is the ability to maintain a load that allows a tuner to properly go through a fuel map or ignition map and tune the chip for optimum horsepower and torque. It has the ability to also simulate the IM240 emissions test as required in some states. It can check 1/4 mile times as well as times for 0-60 MPH and 0-100 MPH. It can also be used for road testing and simulation for drivability problems. As a result of the loading capability, the dyno numbers from a mustang dyno will come out lower than the inertia (dynojet) dyno. Further information can be seen at www.mustangdyne.com

cliffs section 1) mustang dyno is better to tune on, however the numbers are not as high as those from a dynojet.

proof of section 1 can be seen here:
Here is an ITR that was dynoed on a mustang dyno and a dynojet, percent differences are noted in blue boxes.

that should help explain why some numbers i post seem a little low.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
section 2)
some fun pics from the days events :)
the whole album can be seen here.

me makin sure that bitch works.
s3e6580d74b213.jpg

tommy w/ the supercharged sol
s3e65840e77133.jpg

derek, amy and the barometer
s3e6583fba519c.jpg

my sol on the dyno
s3e6580bc8f7d8.jpg

tommy's sol on the dyno
s3e6581420ba85.jpg

laptops in cars make you that much cooler :woo:
s3e6580acca15c.jpg

cliffs section 2)
we had a lot of fun !!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

now for the good stuff.. the results. section 3)

my first run was stopped near 6500 rpm due to such poor fueling and running super lean. that can be seen here. it is the one that drops off abruptly
s3e65806b8a9b4.jpg

this is my a/f curve. measured with a wideband which we welded in a port for so it was reading properly.
s3e65805050035.jpg

this is my final pull right before i left. over an hour into the session with about 9-10 pulls on it.
s3e6580848f7d9.jpg

finally, my before/after tuning. my first baseline i didn't count because we didn't even complete it. but this is my second run with very light fuel correction, so i'm using that as my base. then the other one is the final one. I currently have that ROM burned into the car.
s3e65807772328.jpg

i did reach 162 whp on the mustang dyno, but my tq curve was flatter with this one and had a greater area under the curve

overall, i made sure my car will run properly. my a:f ratio is around 13:1 for the power band, with a few dips and peaks that need a bit to tune out. the jagged line from 6-8k can be cured with another half degree of timing and another 1% increase in fuel.

i figure my car will put down just over 175 whp on a dynojet.
once summer rolls around and i get money, i am going to a dynojet to get some higher numbers. but overall i am satisfied.

i gained alot of midrange and my peak change was 8.6 whp just from tuning.

moral of the story:
get a hondata!!!

Looks like we got a new green machine :p

Nice man, your older brother is getting worked on right now :)

not bad pills, i'm only familiar with dynojet's...so what did the owner of your dyno say about how each measures power?

and i will have hondata in a few weeks also...looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

you should be in the 170's...although your torque is right where it should be...not sure what that means exactly...

he said without a doubt that on a dynojet my car would easily break 170 whp.

on a mustang dyno, you enter a weight for the car. and he entered 2750, which is about 300 lbs heavier than my car really is and the dyno provides resistance throughout the entire pull.

on a dynojet, you only have to overcome the weight of the barrel in the beginning, then it rotates freely so there is nothing to overcome after you get it spinning which results in much higher numbers

if you look at that ITR gif i linked to...

he gained something like 18% on a dynojet when compared to his mustang dyno results

although he said the dynojets were not as accurate when tuning a/f because they dont sense all the "pings" (look at my a/f curve sheet and the big lines toward redline indicate everytime the car sort of pinged or hesitated)

since there is no resistance on the wheel of the dynojet it is difficult to pick these small ones up.

so if my car made 18% more power i would be at 188 whp lol.
i doubt that'll be it.. but even 10% increase i would be VERY VERY happy with

176 whp would be just over my original goal

Hey, very nice man! That's pretty good power for your build. :)

Now u just need to clean up your interior, slob. It will give u something to do when ur not drinking now.

good news on that! i got my radio back from the shop so i can put it back in and put the interior back together.

Back