Dyno tune today!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
Well I am finally getting my car professionally dyno tuned today. The guy doing it is Rick Williams. Idk if anyone has heard of him, but he's pretty well known in my area. Free lance tuning services. I'm kinda nervous just because I won't be there for it... I couldn't get off work.

Anyone want to take any guesses on what it puts down? My guess is 230 at the wheels. My build is in my sig.

oh sweet, i remember this build.

this is going to be a fun little car.

i'm thinking 230-240hp. should get good tq numbers too.

I'm guessing closer to 210-220whp. That's 70-80whp over stock.
yeah, i think you are a little closer than i am. i was thinking if he had a boost upgrade with a 10psi pulley.

should still have some decent numbers with good "pedal power".

Well shit, the guy couldn't tune it... Mother Fucker I was on edge all day at work to find out it didn't get done. I got jack shit done because of the anticipation. Theres a problem at 2k rpm's that he can't seem to fix. He wouldn't continue tuning because he knows that whatever fixes the problem could throw off the whole tune. So basically I dropped $175 bucks for his and the dyno's time and got nothing.

Maybe someone here has an idea with whats wrong. If you try to hold the engine at 2k rpm's, the engine surges between idle and 2k even with constant throttle angle. We're positive there arn't any vacuum leaks. The tps is new. I am stumped.

He estimated 230 whp. Based on his experience with simmilar setups. I have a stock header too, so replacing that will help a bunch.

I just went out myself and dug into the problem. Between 2000-3500 rpm, I'm getting the problem where it will rev up and down between idle and the desired rpm with a constant throttle angle.

I took the tps off and hooked it up to an oscilliscope and constant 5 volt supply to see if I was getting any voltage output fluctuations at thoes throttle angles. Nothing. The tps is working fine. I guess now its time to do the same with the rest of my sensors.

Anyone have any insight on where to look first? I know some of you senior members have had some kind of problem in the past.

No vacuum leaks. I pulled the intake off and covered it up. The car stalled out right away.

Doh! I fixed the problem. I was under the assumption that you could just use Hondata to calibrate the tps. I was wrong.

I had to manually set the tps so it was putting out .49 volts at idle. At that point I could fine tune it with the software. The car runs perfect now! I rescheduled the dyno tune for this Friday. Can't wait!

Well fuck... shit isn't so straitened out today. This morning I turned the car on and started driving to the gas station before work. I even thought to myself about how great it was running and how far it had come (where was some wood to knock on then?). I pump the gas, do a routine check under the hood, and when I start it up, theres a hissing sound coming from somewhere.

The car drove like ass too and from work.. somehow the tps had worked itself loose as well and that problem came back.

After work I fixed the tps and started to diagnose the hissing. I figured it was a vacuum leak; but the idle is nearly perfect and its not surging. All the hoses were connected and looked fine so I started spraying around with carb cleaner to see if any would find its way through the leak into the engine.

Well, it turnes out the intake manifold gasket is leaking. FUCK. Fixing that isn't an easy job like on any other car... I basically have to remove the entire fucken supercharger kit to replace the gasket. So much for getting it tuned Friday.

This car has no forgiveness for me.

In other news, one of the windshield weatherstripping flew off in the downpour on the way to work.

Also, I didn't mention this before, but on the first tuning attampt, the shop bent my lower radiator support trying to jack the car up there. It pushed the radiator up a half inch so now the hood won't close (gsr radiator). They claim they have always jacked civics up from there. I never have b/c it doesn't say to in the fsm.

All this is more shit I need to fix. Oh well thank god for beer and carpools. I need to go run off the frustration.

Well I was taking the car apart and found this. Its the seal that goes around the base of the fuel injector. Looks like I found my problem. At least its going to be an easy fix.

Last edited:
cool, glad you got it fixed again... :ph34r: .. keep us updated

Yeah an even better fix would be the rings off my stock injectors I just found. They are the exact same. I just realized I still had them right after I picked some up at advanced.

Back