e string hits fret when first fret is played

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

My guitar(Squier Stratocaster....I know I'm cheap) sounds like the 1st string is hitting the second fret when I'm pressing down on the first fret. I tried raising the bridge but it still does it. Not sure if it's normal but my old Squier Strat didn't do that.

Is there anyway to fix this without having to get a new fingerboard/neck?

cheap guitars will buzz.

raising the bridge won't help... much. all it will do is throw your intonation as you go up off, so if you raaised it, you need to adjust the feet to match pitch on 0 and 12.

the real fix is in the truss rod. is it a bolt on neck? most likely is. there a little cover under the strings on the head by the tuning pegs?

Yes the intonation was set after raising it.

Yes there's a bolt in the neck

Funny thing is my older/cheaper Squier Strat didn't buzz; that one cost $150 and this one was $200.

I have buzzing problems with certain strings like Blanco says ...

I have no clue what size strings these are, they came with the guitar(I guess time to change them?)

Yes, this is the 1st fret at the neck, and 1st string/high E(bottom string).

some cheap guitars have crappy frets. look at the bar while holding it out in front of you. is it flat like the others, or does the fret actuallly stick out from the board higher?

my guitar hero guitar was about 60 bucks and i was able to customize it to my liking...

none of the frets suck though, and i can 4-star miserlou on expert. all the frets are flat haha

oh wait, nevermind ;)

The fret actually looks like it's popping up a little where the string is. I guess that's my problem. Since it's a Squier; hammer ok? lol.

try pressing it in as hard as you can with your two thumbs while holding the neck in the air (you don't want it on a surface, as you can break the stock). if it doesn't go in at all, i'd say take it to a guitar shop and have them replace the fret

Wait, nvm, looks level. Shadow threw me off.

I'll still try pressing the fret down though.

Back