E-test tips

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JR3

Ok so i just got my car certified and insured so now I need to pass the emmisions test. Stupidly I took the car from my uncles garage (where it had been sitting for about nine months) straight to the E-test centre. It failed horribly, in every category and after realizing how dumb that was i'm kicking myself for watin gthe $35 on the test before doing anything to clean it up.

Results:
RPM: 2084
Dilution (?) 15.5 valid
HC ppm- limit: 75 result: 225
CO%- limit 0.42 result: 3.31
NOx- limit: 576 result: 1444

RPM: 1025
Dilution (?) 16.7 valid
HC ppm- limit: 200 result: 393
CO%- limit: 1.00 result: 6.21
NOx- N/A

This is my first car, and i'm a noober. What i've done so far to help clean out the engine and emissions system was I put a full tank of premium fuel in and added a bottle of this 'guarunteed to pass' stuff that is supposed to make your car pass or you get your money back (i've heard from some people it helps and some say it does nothing) If at all possible i'm trying to save as much money as i can to pass, having just put a new clutch/alternator/valves in the damn car. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

unless there is something wrong with your car, OR it is waay modded it should pass any states emissions tests, I think that 90 percent of honda vehicles are low emissions vehicles and of those like 40 percent are ultra low emissions. You did make a mistake though by taking it to get smogged after it has been sitting, the car needs time to get all of the bad gas out and reset its monitors.
You never did say what kind of car it is.

It's a 93 si coupe, and It kicked the e-tests ass on saturday!
I ended up changing the spark plugs, wires,air filter, and oil (all were nessecary anyway) Plus i drove the piss out of it and went on a little trip down the highway for about 70 kms before i took the test.:D

Back