e-voting machines

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
"U.S. voters calling in to a toll-free number had reported more than 1,100 separate incidents of problems with electronic voting machines and other voting technologies by late Tuesday during the nationwide election. In more than 30 reported cases, when voters reviewed their choices before finalizing them, an electronic voting machine indicated they had voted for a different candidate... In a majority of cases where machines allegedly recorded a wrong vote, votes were taken away from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, or a Democratic candidate in another race, and given to Republican President George Bush or another Republican candidate, said Cindy Cohn, legal director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation... 'We're only hearing from people who caught it,' Cohn said during a press conference... 'It gives us this uneasy feeling we're seeing the tip of the iceberg.'"

"Ed Pond says when the numbers didn't match up, manufacturers told him: 'Of the votes we have, 3,006 is all we can recover. We said, "What do you mean?"' What that means is: of 7,537 voters, every one made after 3,005 were not saved in the computer memory. The Carteret county board of elections say their electronic voting system is owned by Unilect. Initially they told the board 10,000 votes could be stored in these computer systems. In actuality, it was 7,000... Luckily, Pond says this slip up was not large enough to change elected leaders... Both sides agree a backup or alert system should be in place for next election."

"Nine voting machines ran out of battery power and nearly 40 votes may have been lost in Palm Beach County, the first major problem reported on Election Day... The nine machines at a Boynton Beach precinct weren't plugged in properly, and their batteries wore down around 9:30 a.m., said Marty Rogol spokesman for Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Theresa LePore. Poll clerk Joyce Gold said 37 votes appeared to be missing after she compared the computer records to the sign-in sheet. Elections officials won't know exactly how many votes were lost until after polls close... U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler, a Democrat, unsuccessfully sued to add a paper trail to the machines, which he says cannot meet a state requirement for manual recounts."

"Rob MacKenna, Democratic challenger for supervisor of elections, accused incumbent Buddy Johnson Friday of providing an 'inaccurate and misleading account' of his office's loss of 245 votes in the August primary and suggested Johnson 'should be drawing a paycheck elsewhere.' In a noon news conference, MacKenna backed his charges with evidence from an internal report on 245 votes lost when an elections worker mistakenly left a touch screen voting machine in the 'test' mode. The report and a Friday St. Petersburg Times story detailing it say the Supervisor of Elections' staff looked for the lost votes for 13 days without ever informing Johnson or state election officials of the 245-vote discrepancy... It was inaction by Johnson' office, MacKenna said in calling for Johnson's resignation, that allowed a statutory 10-day period for challenging an election to expire while his staff was still trying to hunt down the missing 245 votes."

Consumer Report Part 1: Look at this -- the Diebold GEMS central tabulator contains a stunning security hole. Submitted by Bev Harris on Thu, 08/26/2004 Issue: Manipulation technique found in the Diebold central tabulator - 1,000 of these systems are in place, and they count up to two million votes at a time. By entering a 2-digit code in a hidden location, a second set of votes is created. This set of votes can be changed, so that it no longer matches the correct votes. The voting system will then read the totals from the bogus vote set. Whether you vote absentee, on touch-screens, or on paper ballot (fill in the bubble) optical scan machines, all votes are ultimately brought to the central tabulator at the county which adds them all up and creates the results report. This problem appears to demonstrate intent to manipulate election. GEMS system contained three sets of books. Ask an accountant: It is never appropriate to have two sets of books inside accounting software. The data tables in accounting software automatically link up to each other to prevent illicit back door entries. In GEMS, however, the voting system will draw information from a combination of the real votes and a set of fake votes, which you can alter any way you see fit.

Diebold Employed At Least Five Convicted Felons In Management Positions http://techdirt.com/ 'Not only has Diebold been shown to have incredibly insecure technology on their electronic voting machines (universal password: 1111), had their CEO say that he was going to help his party win the election, been trying to sue every whistle-blower who calls them on this, admitted that they're going to try to jack up prices for anyone who tries to force them to add a paper trail and been caught using uncertified software in a recent election, now it also turns out that they've employed at least five convicted felons in management roles at their voting machine subsidiary. In fact, a senior VP of the group, who was responsible for writing and maintaining the code used in their voting systems, served time in prison for stealing money and tampering with computer files.'

The head of a company vying to sell voting machines in Ohio told Republicans in a recent fund-raising letter that he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year." The Aug. 14 letter from Walden O´Dell, chief executive of Diebold Inc. - who has become active in the re-election effort of President Bush - prompted Democrats this week to question the propriety of allowing O´Dell´s company to calculate votes in the 2004 presidential election. O´Dell attended a strategy pow-wow with wealthy Bush benefactors - known as Rangers and Pioneers - at the president´s Crawford, Texas, ranch earlier this month. Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, also a Republican, was set to qualify Diebold as one of three firms eligible to sell upgraded electronic voting machines to Ohio counties in time for the 2004 election. State Sen. Jeff Jacobson, a Dayton-area Republican, asked Blackwell in July to disqualify Diebold after security concerns arose over its equipment. Blackwell said he stands by the process used for selecting voting machine vendors as fair, thorough and impartial.

You're just one big heaping pile of mature lately, aren't you? Are you even old enough to vote?

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 4 2004, 10:20 AM
Bush won. Kerry lost. Get over it.
[post=411818]Quoted post[/post]​

It would be nice if things were that easy, but not all of us can accept the simple answers that we're given.

Originally posted by Guy+Nov 4 2004, 08:27 AM-->
civicious
@Nov 4 2004, 10:20 AM
Bush won. Kerry lost. Get over it.
[post=411818]Quoted post[/post]​

It would be nice if things were that easy, but not all of us can accept the simple answers that we're given.
[post=411821]Quoted post[/post]​

Unfortunately, you have to. Or get a lobotomy. Or leave the country.

If you guys want to continue the bitch-fest about the election, do it in one of the two threads that already exist. We don't need another one. Talk about what reckedracing posted, or this gets click-clack locked.

i refuse to accept that these are my only options

i will continue to question the outcome of the elections...

and if any of you think this administration is not able to corrupt even the voting system in this country then you are truly ignorant to the power that they hold...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Nov 4 2004, 10:27 AM
more than old enough to vote..
[post=411822]Quoted post[/post]​

...yet you continue to display the grammatical and social skills of a twelve year old.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Nov 4 2004, 08:35 AM

i refuse to accept that these are my only options

i will continue to question the outcome of the elections...

and if any of you think this administration is not able to corrupt even the voting system in this country then you are truly ignorant to the power that they hold...
[post=411829]Quoted post[/post]​

I suppose you could try to kill every Republican in office (since they're obviously the devil :roll: ), or maybe lead a Ken Starr-like crusade against Bush.

While I don't doubt that any group of politicians could control the voting system, I don't think they'd do it. The tarnish that would happen to that political party's name if the fruad were discovered would ensure that no one would vote for that party for years to come. So, while your conspiracy theory to explain why Kerry lost may make you feel better, it's still a load of crap that pegs the "whiner" tag that most liberals/Democrats have earned over the years.

...yet you continue to display the grammatical and social skills of a twelve year old.

you can't refute anything i've stated so you resort to personal attacks?

you, captain ignorant, will always have a special place in my heart...

WHO is the one resorting to personal attacks? I've already owned you like a bitch once, and I will not hesitate to slap you in the face with my cock again.

i believe you are the one resorting to personal attacks...

and i don't care if you think you owned me...
your opinion is no longer relevant

edit: and my goal is not to whine about the election... but i will not blindly accept the results...

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 4 2004, 10:39 AM
I suppose you could try to kill every Republican in office (since they're obviously the devil :roll: ), or maybe lead a Ken Starr-like crusade against Bush.

While I don't doubt that any group of politicians could control the voting system, I don't think they'd do it. The tarnish that would happen to that political party's name if the fruad were discovered would ensure that no one would vote for that party for years to come. So, while your conspiracy theory to explain why Kerry lost may make you feel better, it's still a load of crap that pegs the "whiner" tag that most liberals/Democrats have earned over the years.
[post=411835]Quoted post[/post]​

You know, I'm quite sure that people would say the same thing about Nixon concerning the Watergate scandal. Fortunately the Nixons of the world have people like you who will continue to dismiss peoples ideas as "conspiracy theories". BY the way, how long was it after the Nixon scandal that another republican president was put into office? Do you really think it had much negative impact on the party? Or did they simply dismiss his actions as his own?
People who complained about the 2000 election scandal in Florida got the same label of conspiracy theorists, but investigations have shown that there was astronomical disenfranchisement occuring among minorities and democrats.

the thing that kills me is everyone in the country was aware of the problems in florida in 2000... we as a country have had 4 years to fix things, to make a stable voting system... but it has not been done...

at least not to a satisfactory level...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back