E would be proud of me.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sand blast caliper? avgas? hone the cylinder? I need the equipment to do this with. 10 bucks + .......

sandblasting and paint is only for the bling factor...not needed....but looks good.

Hone $10 at autozone.

Avgas $4 a gallon, picked up at local airport.... it cleans and rinses of the parts after a good washing, and leaves no residue if fresh.

I do....I've already gone thru 10 gallons this spring.

just tell them your working on a race car, and they will fill you up as much gas as you have...5 gallons last a while.

i guess its just around here then...cause i had to get my dad to get some for a friend of mine (my dad used to work on the line crew).

well that's fine by me. It'll be credited back to my card and I won't have to pay interest on 176 dollars.

Front rotors have arrived! I checked for shits and giggles, there they were. Hopefully the rear rotors show up tomorrow and maybe the pads tomorrow/saturday. I know one thing i'll be doing this weekend.

The fun part is learning to bleed (which I have a semi good description from ya'll.)

Can't wait to learn something new.

also be sure to put the little rubber caps back on the bleeders if they are there
those caps save a lot of calipers from having frozen bleeders

The other set of rotors came today. :D

Yes I know, the floors look horrible. I'm not going to work on them yet...

MynewHome166.jpg

Front on the left side;
MynewHome167.jpg

I wonder though, there is no Ebrake hookup on the front calipers are there? If there was I could put front pads/rotors on the rear. But I suppose there is no real use for that anyway.

I know. there's always so much random BS wandering through my head. It's a wonder I ever get anything accomplished.

Pads came in today!

Got a question for anyone who's run this setup. Did you notice any difference from stock with just pads and rotors?

Also - step by step the break in process for me. I hope to go get the caliper this weekend and get it installed so I don't have to drive my work vehicle all over the place (which I'm not supposed to do anyway).

after verifying that the brakes will infact stop the car
get the car to some long backroads with very little traffic... touching the brakes as little as possible

my break-in process
accelerate normally to 30 mph... press the brakes and quickly slow to about 5mph

**** important note **** you are not JAMMING on the brakes here... you are simply braking hard... you should NOT be close to locking the brakes up... just apply them enough to quickly slow the car (it should be the kind of fast braking that would make you concerned if there was a coffee in the cup holder... kinda like when you realize at the last second that you're supposed to turn)

when you get to 5mph accelerate back up to 30mph
drive at 30mph for at least 1/3 - 1/2 a mile to let the brakes cool (more distance is better... you DO NOT want to over heat the brakes right now)
then apply the brakes again slowing to 5mph
back to 30 again... 1/3-1/2 mile repeat this untill you have done it 5 times
after 5 times, drive without using the brakes for about a mile to let them cool
now if the breaks feel like they are grabbing nicely, up the speed to 45mph and repeat 5 more times (otherwise continue from 30 a few more times then go to 45)
after that your brakes should be just about broken in...

**** important note**** after the break-in your brakes are going to be really F'n hot... drive around for about 5 minutes without using the brakes to let them cool...
if you do need to slow down during the cool down, use the brakes as little and as lightly as possible
if you do need to stop at any point, DONT.... come to a very slow roll and continue moving untill you can get back up to speed again... you do not want the brakes to cool unevenly... that is what causes warping

full break-in can take up to a few days to happen... just drive normally... try not to jam on the brakes too hard for the first 2 or 3 days... if you must brake hard, drive for a little while to let them cool (this is always a good idea, not just while breaking them in)

thats the method i use on all of my cars
and thats the method i used on customers cars when i worked at the shop
hasnt failed me yet... customers were always pleased with the feel of their brakes after i finished the break-in

Last edited:
Thanks E. I have a few good backroad spots to the east of town I can do that at. :thumbsup:

You'll definitely notice a difference over stock if you upgrade the lines and go with a dot4 fluid like smurf jizz or something.

When I did this on my prelude, it was night and day. Those breaks were so amazing. I loved them.

My tc's are good, but kind of soft until I get on them, then they stop it nicely. I think I might upgrade the lines down the road this summer just because I like the pedal feel of a stainless steel line a lot more.

Back